WW2 Uncle Sam razor

Leadbelly

I've been busy moving most of the summer and haven't gotten to post much. I was going through my knife collection and ran across a straight razor that my grandpa had given me. It belonged to his brother. He carried it throughout ww2, from North Africa and into Europe.
There sure is a lot of history to it, and one thing about it is kinda strange........... It was made in Germany.

Made in Germany,,,, that is ironical.
You're making me feel old here though. Your grandfathers brother was in WW2,,, my father was in WW2.
Hang onto that baby.

Hey Charlie,
Sorry about making you feel old buddy
smile.gif
don't worry I'm keeping her.

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyHey Charlie,
Sorry about making you feel old buddy
smile.gif
don't worry I'm keeping her.

No sweat buddy. I'm actually embracing my "coot" status.

BTW,,, nice choice of firearms for the back drop in that pic.
Or,,, as Lois Lerner would say,, "PERFECT". grin

Off topic but I recently had some old photo's digitalized.
Here's one of the old man somewhere in Europe. (middle)

He was in an engineer company that built pontoon bridges to get artillery and supplie's across the numerous rivers.
Here's a pic of him on his truck mounted crane. I guess uniforms were optional. Ha

Cool pics Charlie,
My uncle ran off when he was sixteen, lied about his age and joined the army. My great grandpa got word of it and went to Fort Knox to get him. The co there told him that we would be at war sooner or later and it would be best to train him now rather than draft and get thrown in the mix later.
He ended up a tank driver in seventh army under Patton until the Italian campaign and then under Clarke. He never talked much about it, and what stories I did hear weren't good. He did have a low opinion of the Sherman tank and said it was a miracle he survived the whole war.
I think I have some pictures of him in the North African campaign that I'll try to find.

Charlie,

Thats very cool. My Grandfather did the same work in the same areas in WWII. I'll have to see if I can find the pics I have of him and post em up here. I love this history stuff.

Almost forgot, I researched the razors that gi's carried in ww2. Most carried a three piece Gillette and I figured the razor was his personal property. Then last year a guy I work with said his grandpa had the same razor and fought in the pacific through the whole war. His grandpa later said all the guys early on had those razors that were made in Germany.

Leadbelly,,,I have a feeling that your Uncle and my Step Dad probably ran into each other..My step dad was a tank driver for Gen Patton from Southern Italy through Berlin and if you ever read anything about the "Red Ball Express" they were the truck drivers that fought long and hard to get supplies/ammo to the battalion when they had advanced into shooting distance of a Panzer Division in Germany and were 'sitting ducks', out of ammo and fuel, until the trucks arrived just in time for the battle, which we won...

Like your uncle, Pop never talked a lot about the war unless I asked specific questions...But we used to go to quite a few of the movies in the '50s that were made about it, including the one called "The Red Ball Express"...One time I asked him what the hardest part of the war he encountered and he replied that it was when they were advancing on a town where the German regular army had retreated and tied members of the Hitler Youth Corp to the roofs with barbed wire and left them with a machine gun to delay the Allied troops and he had to blow up the building with tank fire to allow the advance, knowing that there was likely a 12 year old kid on the receiving end...

Turtle,
I heard some stories like that as well. Seems when the Germans where really getting there butts kicked in Sicily. They would put women and children on those narrow mountain roads where the tanks couldn't get around, standing orders were " keep moving, don't stop " so you can figure out what happened.

Back