Introducing the BASE CPS - Competition Primer Seater

orkan

Introducing the BASE CPS (Competition Primer Seater)

http://www.baseprecision.com/products/cps

We are excited to announce the opening of a pre-order for the most innovative and unique primer seating tool that we have ever seen at Primal Rights. For the next month, the CPS will be available at an introductory price of $350 with free shipping, rather than the normal retail price of $450. Use coupon code BASEINTRO to secure your savings during checkout. Units will begin shipping in September 2014. We will be holding a drawing and selecting one of the pre-order customers for a free CPS!

http://www.primalrights.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=98_99&product_id=128

The CPS was designed to address the need for a robust and precise high-volume primer seating tool. The limitations of other priming tools are self-evident to those that have used them for a 300, 500, or 1000rnd priming session. Hand priming tools can cause extreme fatigue in your thumbs and hands. This is especially true when you have a batch of brass with tight primer pockets. They can also be very dangerous as their plastic trays are sometimes turned into deadly shrapnel when a faulty or improperly seated primer causes every primer in the tray to simultaneously explode. The bench-mounted units are often quite a lot safer, but generally much slower. They also often lack the same "feel" you get with the hand priming tools.

Recognizing these deficiencies, we set out to design the worlds best priming tool, with all of the strengths of other units, but none of their weaknesses.

The BASE CPS is the most versatile dedicated priming tool in existence. It uses readily available and inexpensive Lee shell holders (or other compatible brands) to accommodate almost all cartridges on the market. We have custom shell holders available for 50BMG and 416Barret. This will finally give the 50BMG competition shooters a fast, precise, and robust dedicated priming tool, instead of forcing them to use their presses for priming. With use of the Sinclair 408CheyTac shell holder, 375CT and 408CheyTac users now have a precision priming tool to use as well.

Good for right-handed or left-handed use. The handle and shell holder retainer on the CPS can be moved to accommodate any bench position or priming style you prefer.

Speed, without sacrificing precision or reliability. Some priming tools are very fast. Others are very precise. The CPS is the only priming tool to combine both features into a single unit. You can achieve seating depths accurate to within a thousandth of an inch, all while priming at a comfortable rate of over 20 cases per minute. At that pace you can easily prime over a thousand cases per hour.

Absolute precision primer seating depths. Precision rifle shooters know that one of the keys to reducing your extreme velocity spread is to ensure consistent powder ignition. The CPS has a revolutionary adjustable shell holder system which allows you to raise and lower your case in relation to the priming rod. You can seat the primer deeper or shallower in .001" increments. The adjustment mechanism has a clicker, to ensure you stay on your desired seating depth. One click = One thousandth of an inch adjustment.

Universal primer tube loaded. You can use nearly any brand of primer tube for simple and effective loading of primers into the tool. No more plastic trays to break or fumble with. As long as the tubes have an outside diameter of .312" or so, you can use them with the CPS.

Integrated shuttle feeding system. The CPS uses a manually-operated shuttle system to slide primers from the primer tube into position over the primer rod. This ensures that any jams or misaligned primers are easily and safely discovered by the operator. Slight finger pressure is all that is required to position a primer for seating. The shuttle then automatically resets to home position to pick up another primer.

Bench-mounted for rigidity and repeatability. The CPS is a bench-mounted priming tool. This ensures a controlled and static orientation of the case being primed, so that if a faulty primer detonates, the blast will be directed straight upwards rather than in a random direction. Being mounted to a bench also allows for a consistent technique and operation of the priming tool.

Rotational drive system. Nearly all other priming tools on the market utilize a pivot drive system to provide leverage. The drawback with those systems is that the amount of force required to achieve the desired leverage changes through the tools range of motion. Unlike pivot-driven designs, the CPS provides an accurate and constant feel through the entire range of motion. This, combined with the extreme strength and rigidity of the CPS ensures that you will "feel" each primer as it is being seated. This is important so that worn out brass can be identified and culled when you feel a loose primer pocket.

As always, let me know if you have any questions at all!

Originally Posted By: orkanHand priming tools can also be very dangerous as their plastic trays are sometimes turned into deadly shrapnel when a faulty or improperly seated primer causes every primer in the tray to simultaneously explode.

lot of things i never heard of and this is another one. how common is this?

yours does look nice.

A member on another forum,that I read,had a primer go off while using an RCBS hand tool.

I've had some mighty tight primers over the years but never had one go off. Guess it's one of those one in a millon things, but it can happen.

For those that have had it happen, it's not a joking matter at all.

primer-detonation.jpg

Broken eye socket, loss of sight, and surgery certainly doesn't make me laugh. That guy was seriously injured. A batch of faulty primers is all it would take. That's why it's always best to exercise caution when priming.

100 of them going off in an aluminum tube wouldn't be much better, though we have separated the waiting primers by a fair distance using the shuttle system in the CPS. Best to wear protective gear no matter what you are using.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterThe RCBS Bench Priming tool keeps the primers separated from the priming section... and has more feel... and is faster... and it is idiot proof (until we breed better idiots) - all for $80.
The CPS has a much higher resolution of feeling than the RCBS bench units. It is also faster, and is more idiot proof. Several people that adore their RCBS units told me they were "going to sell their RCBS" bench units as soon as their CPS was delivered. If the RCBS unit is so good, why did Holland build an attachment for it to set the primer seating depth? I'd say Darrell Holland's credibility speaks for itself, so I'd imagine he and I are not the only one that has found a need for something like this.

Clearly it has no value to you. It solves no problem for you. Please don't buy one. Though I'm glad I posted it here because I'd hate for you to need to actually touch something before saying it is useless.

For those of us looking for the ultimate in fatigue-free and fast precision primer seating... the CPS is our answer.

Originally Posted By: orkan

The CPS has a much higher resolution of feeling than the RCBS bench units. It is also faster, and is more idiot proof.

Could you please explain "... much higher resolution of feeling". Resolution and feeling are not words that go together.

It cannot be faster than the RCBS Bench tool... it will prime faster than you can pick up cases, and there are no separate motions to move the primer with a shuttle.

No matter what anyone is saying about your unit. I think its great there are people making quality reloading goods for those wanting them.

(Quote)
Clearly it has no value to you. It solves no problem for you. Please don't buy one. Though I'm glad I posted it here because I'd hate for you to need to actually touch something before saying it is useless.
thumbup.gif
tt2.gif
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatShooterCould you please explain "... much higher resolution of feeling". Resolution and feeling are not words that go together. Maybe they don't go together for you, but to me it's pretty simple. One of the definitions of resolution is the accuracy or precision of something, like a computer monitor for instance. The CPS allows you to feel MORE than the RCBS. The CPS also doesn't have a handle that hangs down below flush and sticks out from the bench happily getting caught on any human that happens to walk by in a tight quarters reloading room.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterIt cannot be faster than the RCBS Bench tool... it will prime faster than you can pick up cases, and there are no separate motions to move the primer with a shuttle.
Challenge: Bring your RCBS bench tool and 1000pcs of brass to our office. We'll have a "prime-off." We'll measure speed and consistency of primer depths. If you win, I'll pay you $500 cash, and cover your gas money. If you lose, you owe me $500 and a formal apology in writing and on video.

Don't want to do that? Shoot video of you priming 500 cases, unedited, upload to youtube... and I'll do the same. We'll see who's video is shorter. Again, I'm blown away by how much you think you know about a piece of equipment you've never touched. Put up, or shut up.

I remember a a few months back when I saw that Darryl Holland was saying he had a new revolutionary primer system. I was really interested in seeing what it looked like and how it would work. when I saw it I was surprised that it was just an RCBS modified to allow measuring seating depth for accurate and more consistent primer seating. a friend bought one so I gave it a spin on about 20 of my Lapua .308 cases and it seemed to work fine. Was it more accurate? I tried measuring against 20 of my hand primed on a Lee hand tool and my 20 were equal in consistency.
Now THIS tool looks more like what I was hoping to see( from holland) and while not positive I will drop the coin this thing looks pretty slick to me.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: CatShooterCould you please explain "... much higher resolution of feeling". Resolution and feeling are not words that go together. Maybe they don't go together for you, but to me it's pretty simple. One of the definitions of resolution is the accuracy or precision of something, like a computer monitor for instance. The CPS allows you to feel MORE than the RCBS. The CPS also doesn't have a handle that hangs down below flush and sticks out from the bench happily getting caught on any human that happens to walk by in a tight quarters reloading room.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterIt cannot be faster than the RCBS Bench tool... it will prime faster than you can pick up cases, and there are no separate motions to move the primer with a shuttle.
Challenge: Bring your RCBS bench tool and 1000pcs of brass to our office. We'll have a "prime-off." We'll measure speed and consistency of primer depths. If you win, I'll pay you $500 cash, and cover your gas money. If you lose, you owe me $500 and a formal apology in writing and on video.

Don't want to do that? Shoot video of you priming 500 cases, unedited, upload to youtube... and I'll do the same. We'll see who's video is shorter. Again, I'm blown away by how much you think you know about a piece of equipment you've never touched. Put up, or shut up.

wow, a nerve has been struck!

Looks like a well made unit that should perform as advertised. I'd love to test drive one. I might be old but I can stil learn a few new tricks.

Consistency and controlling your loading operations pays off on target beyond a doubt. Fast or slow if it meets ones needs it is a winner. Heck I still use Blue Presses...LOL

Greg

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: CatShooterCould you please explain "... much higher resolution of feeling". Resolution and feeling are not words that go together. Maybe they don't go together for you, but to me it's pretty simple. One of the definitions of resolution is the accuracy or precision of something, like a computer monitor for instance. The CPS allows you to feel MORE than the RCBS. The CPS also doesn't have a handle that hangs down below flush and sticks out from the bench happily getting caught on any human that happens to walk by in a tight quarters reloading room.

This guy just oozes Professionalism and Class.

I can sure buy a ton of components for the price of this apparatus. It seems like quite a stretch for the VAST majority of reloaders. I just can't see the intrinsic value in this priming tool. I’ve never seen the need for break-neck speed when it comes to reloading. It seems like a decent enough product, just posting it, here, seems quite a bit out of the target audience.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

This guy just oozes Professionalism and Class.

It appears as if Orkan has done a bunch of work developing this primer seater. It looks solid, accurate and very well built. I've done business with him and he treated me very well. He's a good guy but probably got a bit excited defending something he's got a lot of time and effort into. It happens to the best of us on occasion, so I'm not holding it against him.

When one is a business owner, it will be held against them from the general public. One should conduct themselves as they wish their business to be perceived.

Had this really been a thorn in his side, a PM would have been better to preserve profesional perception.

Again, it seems like a decent piece of equipment. He just way overshot his target market a bit, here. Very few folks on this site will ever have a need or see a difference in the seating of primer to necessitate a $350-450 too.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760When one is a business owner, it will be held against them from the general public. One should conduct themselves as the wish their business to be perceived.

As a former business owner ... I concur. That retort sounded more like a playground challenge than a professional response. I immediately lost interest in it.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760 It seems like a decent enough product, just posting it, here, seems quite a bit out of the target audience.

huh? he paid to be a sponsor here. he should post it here.

"a bit out of the target audience". huh? seem to be lot of guys on this site that can afford top of the line stuff. i dont need one as nice as his but i hope he sells a bunch.

Back