Will hogs return after a kill?

cincoranchhntr

Scenario: Night hunting a baited spot from blind approx 50 yds away. The hogs come in and a kill is made. Hog is removed. Should I continue to hunt that same spot thru the night or should I relocate and bait a new spot? Should I expect the hogs to return to where the kill was made that night or even the next night for that matter?

The noise and activity of removing a dead hog will likely disrupt things more than a hog on the ground. If it is cool enough to avoid spoiling, sit tight and let things quiet down for a while. That sounder may be spooked, but if multiple groups are using the feeder they will come on in. A can limits disturbance of the area. Steady shooting several nights in a row will make them feeder shy, especially the bigger ones.

Just leave them on the ground. Here is a video of the hogs coming back to an un baited spot less than 10 minutes after killing one out of the same group.

[video:youtube][/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info and confirmation. Hunting at night south Tx in July, probably 75 deg nights. How long can I wait before the hog needs to be retrieved, gutted and iced down?
Thanks again.

Get them on ice as quick as you can I usually get them done in 30min. But if it takes you an hr to track one your better off getting pics and leaving it for the yotes and buzzards...

Good luck
thumbup1.gif

Ages ago I used to go hunt feral hogs in Florida during Spring Break. I recall shooting a small boar where a couple of hours later another boar was eating the gutpile of his fallen comrade. I am not sure if a kill will upset the routine of other pigs. In addition, the first black bear my Dad shot over bait in Maine showed evidence of a bear eating the rest of the bait while the dead bear lay on the ground while he waited for the guide to pick him up.

Animals can be funny.

I bowhunt hogs, day and night. ALmost every time they will come right back if you sit quiet and they aren't too spooked. If not a lot of blood is spilled on the bait pile the rest of them come back the night also.

I've only been hog hunting once.

Shot mine during the day, at a feeder with my suppressed 300 SAUM AR10 and before it was done kicking...I had hogs returning to the feeder.

You just never know how long it will take.

I'm gonna give Guess a
thumbup.gif
on that reply... you never really know with hogs.

I've shot one and had all of them, not just the group the one hog was with, but more than one group, move, for days/weeks. And, on the other hand, I've had them come back in a matter of minutes. The video up there offers some sound advice, if you take out the alpha sow, they will generally be back in minutes looking for her.

In my experience...

- If you shoot once, they're likely to be back in minutes; sit tight and give them a half hour. Pay close attention to sounds behind your stand, it's not uncommon for them to try and flank you.

- If you shoot 2 - 3 times, they probably won't be back very soon; go gut your hog(s), if you didn't drop one, go home and drink beer.

- If you don't take out the alpha sow, she's subject to lead them away, even if you do shoot only once.

- If you have more than one sounder coming to the feeder at various times of the night, the others may or may not be there later, depends upon how close they were when you shot.

- They're hogs, and they got a mind all their own; all of the above may or may not hold water, on any given day.

Back