Is it legal in your state to chase?

HT308

Here in our little part of the world its legal to chase coyotes with modified pickups and shoot them from the vehicle. There are about 10 guys that go out on the weekends and do this, its getting to the point where we ( callers ) have to travel more and more to get to our stands or to even find coyotes. I don't mind using dogs for chase, [beeep] I'd even go with them and see how its done. But to build a vehicle to chase and just shoot them from the vehicles is really starting to piss me off. I'll put it this way, a buddy and I were in the deer stand the other day and heard these guys driving thru the pasture next to us chasing. Scared the deer off that we were waiting to come in to our stands and pretty much ended our mourning right there. You figure these guys with 4 to 6 pickups chasing every weekend and killing 2 to 10 dogs per trip. Its no wonder we are driving up to 20 miles to stands just to find the coyotes. So, my question is Should this stay legal or be put to a stop?

Thanks

Last edited:
No, I'm not complaining about driving 20 miles. I do have other stands to go too, just [beeep] me off when I want to stay close to home because of time limits on some weekends. I just think they don't have ethics, and need to be shutdown..

Last edited:
Not legal in NYS to have a loaded long gun in or on a motor vehicle of any kind.
Yet I can carry the pictured pistol loaded holstered in a vehicle.

Last edited:
i dont think it is legal in most places.

BUT, the last thing we as hunters need is to invite further restrictions on hunting. maybe you and i dont chase coyotes with vehicles, but obviously some guys do.

it is very frustrating to me to see all the hunting pressure these days, it is why i dont rifle hunt much for big game. now it seems that everyone and their brother is a "coyote hunter". the numbers around here are down, and the ones that are left pretty much do not respond to calls. i have to hunt differently, spot and stalk, use sounds that i think no one else uses, and bait. one of my favorite areas to hunt, where i have taken 25 to 30 over the last few years, has high hunting pressure. i know of at least 5 other guys that have hunted the same area over the last couple of weeks. yesterday i went out and killed one there, he was reluctant to come in and stayed in the brush, but using nothing but coyote howls he came in to about 175 yards and i shot him.
the point is that while others are hunting coyotes in a method you do not approve of, you have to just adapt, or move on.

Originally Posted By: HT308Here in our little part of the world its legal to chase coyotes with modified pickups and shoot them from the vehicle. There are about 10 guys that go out on the weekends and do this, its getting to the point where we ( callers ) have to travel more and more to get to our stands or to even find coyotes. I don't mind using dogs for chase, [beeep] I'd even go with them and see how its done. But to build a vehicle to chase and just shoot them from the vehicles is really starting to piss me off. I'll put it this way, a buddy and I were in the deer stand the other day and heard these guys driving thru the pasture next to us chasing. Scared the deer off that we were waiting to come in to our stands and pretty much ended our mourning right there. You figure these guys with 4 to 6 pickups chasing every weekend and killing 2 to 10 dogs per trip. Its no wonder we are driving up to 20 miles to stands just to find the coyotes. So, my question is Should this stay legal or be put to a stop?

Thanks

What would you do if Fish and Game started killing the yotes from an aircraft. They do it in Oregon in Ranch country from time to time.

Having to drive 20 miles, makes me laugh. I have to drive 89 miles to coyote hunt on Government land.

Mr. HT308.....

I hope you will bear with me, long enough to take in all that I am about to say.

Like you, I live in the great state of Kansas, albiet in the north-central part.
I am a lifetime resident.
I'm also {and I'm sure those forum members who've been around for a while are sick of hearing}...I am a 3rd generation coyote hunter.

As such, I can see ALL sides of this type of argument.

My Grandpa, my Dad, and a couple of great-uncles hunted coyotes with greyhounds...for decades.
When I started going with my Dad (in the early-'70s), we still hunted with greyhounds.
By my teen years, my Dad/me, along with some of our friends, switched to using shotguns instead of the dogs.
Why? Because it was a lot cheaper than maintaining healthy dogs year-round.

......At this point, I want to point out that none of us break/broke laws; drove through fences; left gates open; hunted pastures that still had cattle in them; made unethical shots; nor trespassed on land we didn't have permission to hunt........

Quote from HT308: "I don't mind using dogs for chase, [beeep] I'd even go with them and see how its done. But to build a vehicle to chase and just shoot them from the vehicles is really starting to piss me off."...unquote

This quote makes me want to ask....Why do you have an issue with the gun hunters, but NOT the greyhound hunters?

With the exceptions of using dogs instead of shotguns; and having a large dogbox on the truck...EVERYTHING else is EXACTLY the same between these 2 ways of hunting coyotes.

Also, when using sighthounds, you have absolutely ZERO control of where they go, once they leave the truck.
At least with a shotgun, you know the pellets are only going to go a set amount of distance. And, unless the truck trespasses onto properties it shouldn't be on, the shotgun won't either.

For nearly 2 decades, I shot coyotes from a truck w/shotgun while Dad drove.
Is it something I recommend people start doing?...Probably not.
Both driver & shooter have to not only be ethical, but also VERY concise & logical with their actions.
Obviously, if even one of them slips up, it could be disasterous.
And each must have complete trust in the other's abilities.
To be successful, the driver has to know the terrain very intimately, or chance wrecking every few seconds.
The shooter must be extremely safe with his gun handling, or risk shooting the truck, or worse, his partner.
And being safe with a firearm, while chasing coyotes isn't easy, by any means. There is much more to it than just shooting the gun.
It's not easy...to be from the waist up, outside the window...and keep your balance...while traveling at speeds up to 60mph, bouncing across a rough, rocky pasture...WITHOUT a gun in your hands.
Try to do all of that...while holding a shotgun, and trying to hold a steady "aim" on a running, dodging coyote......well, to be good at it, takes a ton of practice.
So, as I previously stated, I would not advise anyone to start doing this.

However, the method is nothing new....at least in Kansas. Using trucks and shotguns has been going on since the early-'70s.
And hunting coyotes from vehicles, hauling sighthounds has been going on in Kansas since before World War 2.

So, should it be banned or prohibited? My OPINION, is no. I realize that my OPINION may differ from many people's. However, my OPINION is based on factual, 1st-hand experiences. Most other people's opinions are based on their LACK of those experiences, and just general intolerance of a way of hunting that differs from what they may know.

That being said....Do I think that every guy out there hunting coyotes from trucks, is doing it legally & ethically (getting permission to hunt each piece of land, ect)?
No, I'm not an idiot. I have very little doubt, that there ARE those doing things that are illegal & unethical.
My advice would be...if you think someone is doing something wrong, let the authorities know about it.

Are the truck/shotgun hunters you know, "messing up" your deer hunting, or coyote calling efforts?
Either learn to deal with the situation as an adult...Example: Like maybe asking these guys where they intend to hunt on the same day that you want to hunt. Then, either ask them to hunt somewhere else that day, or YOU hunt a different day, when they are hunting somewhere else.
If both parties act respectfully with the other, surely compromises can be made by all parties.

Another option (if your job allows it), would be to hunt sometime during the week, instead of the weekends.
Yes, I know that for most people that isn't possible. But, it might be an option.

This is something I have been dealing with in my area, since I first picked up a call nearly 20 years ago.
In the area I have hunted for 40+ years, I have to plan my hunting around 2 groups of greyhound hunters....as well as a group of truck/shotgun hunters. Not to mention who-knows-how-many other guys who are out there using calls.

I wish you the best success, in all your endevours, sir.
Hunting predators should be fun. Not confrontational.
I totally understand that it can be very frustrating. But, I've learned to deal with it.

20 miles is a long ways if you are walking....

I don't see coyotes very often driving... Most of the places I see them are far from roads... Seems easier to call them...

Quote: I just think they don't have ethics, and need to be shutdown..

That's what liberals and anti-hunters say about us.

Originally Posted By: The DukeI have to drive 123 miles one way!! 20+ miles aint nothing!! I would just put on my big boy britches.

123 miles one way! I thought I hated coyotes,but i'm not that mad at them!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HT308 So, my question is Should this stay legal or be put to a stop?

Thanks

Illegal in PA.

Keep it legal. Less yotes will make deer hunitng better. Nothing wrong with a little drive, for the time being.

Some of you guys need to get off of the "20 Mile" bit. He isn't complaining of driving 20 miles. The problem is having his hunting trip ruined by other hunters by a certain method of hunting.

I used to do the pickup chase style of hunting. We never trespassed, stayed away from the cattle, and closed gates. But there are a lot of groups that don't care about any other the above. Some groups surround a section of ground, then shoot out the area with .22s or other rifles to get the coyotes going. Not very smart in my opinion. While calling, I have been surrounded by pickups. I got up before they started shooting. Yes, they were trespassing and didn't care.

I don't know if it should be outlawed or not. it can be done ethically, but the idiots far outnumber the people that do it right.

As someone said before earlier in the post, we don't need anymore restrictions on hunting. But, it does tick me off to be hunting on my ground or ground I have permission to and people run their dogs across it. In my area, there is my group and one other group who hunts coyotes. Their dogs ran across property my family owns. I caught up with the guys later that day, I asked them very politely to please keep their dogs off of the property and they gave me the "oh, those weren't our dogs". That kind of burned me up, especially since its just us that hunt them and there is hundreds and thousands of acres to hunt. There is no sense in stacking up on top of each other when its just us that hunts. I don't chase them with vehicle or dogs, but I don't think it should be illegal. I just wish some people would use ethics and have respect for other peoples' property. That's my take on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ILPredHunter12As someone said before earlier in the post, we don't need anymore restrictions on hunting. But, it does tick me off to be hunting on my ground or ground I have permission to and people run their dogs across it. In my area, there is my group and one other group who hunts coyotes. Their dogs ran across property my family owns. I caught up with the guys later that day, I asked them very politely to please keep their dogs off of the property and they gave me the "oh, those weren't our dogs". That kind of burned me up, especially since its just us that hunt them and there is hundreds and thousands of acres to hunt. There is no sense in stacking up on top of each other when its just us that hunts. I don't chase them with vehicle or dogs, but I don't think it should be illegal. I just wish some people would use ethics and have respect for other peoples' property. That's my take on it.

What you should have told them after they said it wasn't their dogs "well the next dogs we see on our property get shot on sight" and we will just say they were chasing deer or stock. So if it is there dogs you will know right away by their actions and speech. The first thing out of their mouth after you tell them the trespassing dogs will be shot on sight will be " you kill my dogs and I / we will ( you can fill in the blanks ).

I have a friend that lives in Nebraska that chased coyotes with a snow mobile. He has a scar almost from ear to ear where he caught a strand of barbed wire in the mouth while going like [beeep] on a snowmobile chasing coyotes. He is [beeep] lucky to be alive.

TO the OP.
If it is legal and they are not on your property just suck it up and find another spot to hunt.

They have as much right to hunt their way as you do to hunt your way.

Last edited:
Hu move to Missouri not enough flat clear land to drive trucks to chase, we do use hounds, let loose on one county road while a group is on the other county road waiting. In Missouri it is illegal to shoot from the truck or whatever..

Originally Posted By: shawn@moHu move to Missouri not enough flat clear land to drive trucks to chase, we do use hounds, let loose on one county road while a group is on the other county road waiting. In Missouri it is illegal to shoot from the truck or whatever..

Or roadway...

Lol true cg but in my neck of the woods we want a road a road gets made, made take a day or so but it gets done... I've been in situation with guys removing tree after tree on government land to prep for deer season, wasn't a big fan of that one

Not sure what you're talking about but it sounds like bad behavior. Bad behavior usually has a bad consequence in the end.

Back