NM OTC Barbary

-CoyoteHunter-

I thought I would post up a couple pics of how the hunt is going. Yesterday afternoon, me and a buddy decided to go out to a spot where we had been watching a group of sheep. He has already killed a small ram out of the group in mid May, but not long after that, we had seen a decent ram in the group.

We got to our vantage point, and immediately glassed up this group of sheep about a mile away. I took a pic through the spotting scope, which didn't turn out very good, but I circled where they were bedded.
Barbary_zpsa56e2865.jpg

One ram looked like it might have been decent, so we decided to try to get in a little closer for a better look. We were able to get to about 300 yards from the group, and after seeing the biggest ram was maybe 24 inches, I decided to pass.
IMG_4811_zps40065d71.jpg

There were 15 sheep in this group.

Right before we ran out of light, we glassed across the canyon and spotted up two big rams that were feeding over the ridge, but we didn't have time to get around and on to them, so we backed out and will hopefully be able to make it back to look for them soon!

That first photo really shows, that Barbary sheep find some of the nastiest country to live in!
I drew a New Mexico tag this year! Really looking forward to some scouting and then the hunt. I have been on several hunts in the Palo Duro Canyon and in the Davis Mountains. I really enjoy getting after these sheep. Good luck on your pursuit of those rams!

Good luck, I have always wanted to hunt Auodad. As a non res I think Texas is easier to get a tag in though. The fees are probably higher. I stopped putting in for NM a few years ago when they changed the draw. I believe they went to requiring a license be purchased first or something to that affect. Hope to see you posing with a big one. I imagine the desert biting critters are out in force this time of year.

Back