Skinning knife

243win4569

Today I've got a couple questions. What makes a good skinner for furbearers such as raccoon, coyote, and bobcat? Is a knife styled more like a bird and trout handier, or is a knife with more belly easier not to nick and degrade the hide? And what steels are the best for stain and rust resistance and still hold a good edge and keep it, but are also not hard to sharpen? Thanks for the help, I really want to learn all I can about this knife stuff.

I use old packing house knives in the fur shed. They were used for boning meat. Cheap, durable, and have comfortable handles. Trap supply houses carry them as well as trapper rendezvous.

I am still experimenting. I think the best answer is what works for the user. I have a "knives of Alaska" caper, a L.T. Wright "genesis", and several other very sharp knives. I use the wright to do heavy work and the actually a single blade "old timer" to do most my skinning. It has a long, thin blade that is easy to control and gets more than sharp. I did 2 full body capes on deer this year and it is by far the most efficient.

Havalon is on my wish list for Christmas this year. I have been using a old case trapper with a chrome vanadium blade. I usually have to sharpen it up once or twice doing a yote, but it never took long to put a edge back on her.

Originally Posted By: crapshootHavalon piranta.

I'm sure it's a dumb question, but do the Havalons use the scalpel blades like the #70's?

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyHavalon is on my wish list for Christmas this year.

You'll love it for Coyote sized game.

Havalons ain't got no soul but they sure make life easy.

Back