Where to shoot a hog

In my experience, it is all about shot placement and if I do my part it does NOT matter if I am using a 5.56 or a 7.62.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupIn my experience, it is all about shot placement and if I do my part it does NOT matter if I am using a 5.56 or a 7.62.

Truth!!!

Chupa

this is good info we are starting to see an increase of these a couple miles from the house im afraid soon they will be here also

I'm 100% with the head shots. Usually about 20 yrds to the feeder. 22mag does a fine job of dropping them like a hammer. Fairly quiet too.

Last edited:
Yup,ear Pork chops R saved We up here can not eat the stinky boars,o the fat is strong.I usually try the young sows How do you folks do it,r are the old boars left.

unless they got good teefers the boars are left to ROT. tried once to eat the Back strap out of one, stunk the house up . head shot if i want it or thru the lung if it just need to go away.

Here is a good example.

smyrnaboar5-2-14_zpsf4641b8d.jpg

Quick question on this topic - since I've never taken hogs with a bow...

Would you recommend the same placement with an arrow as you would a bullet?

I'm not sure you would get the same result of a broken neck/shock. I usually try to go behind the shoulder quartering forward it possible.

I have shot several hogs perfectly and still not recovered them. Mostly because you often don't get good blood trails on hogs due to the fat that seems to seal up the wound.

I did should one hog like that once and it cut the juggler and I got a good blood trail and found it in about 30 yards.

If quartering towards me I could try and get in front of the shoulder. I big boar is tough to get good penetration with a bow but angling it in behind the shield into the vitals is best.

1378099_10200497241060857_1753733454_n.jpg

33857_1396218312799_6970236_n.jpg

168665_1499773221607_313161_n.jpg

Last edited:
shot two hogs with bow 50lb wish Id have had a 70lb, never found either one, blood trailed one for over 1/2 mile and even went back with the dog and gave up when she was jumping other hogs.

anymore if it doesn't leave the muzzle at 3000fps or weight over 400grs I do nothing but head shots. shot one the other night with a308 168gr 200 yards right in the shoulder, you can see the dirt fly on impact in the video, still ran off into waist high poison ivy.

killed my first 10 hogs with a 22 mag shooting between the eye and ear, never lost one till I went to a bigger gun and for the shoulder

it is all about placement no mater what you shoot

Impactzone, are those the only 2 hogs you've shot with a bow?

Both of my hunting bows are 70lbs (73 & 74lbs), and my lightest arrows were 393grn with 100grn points, but I'm running 125grn points in everything these days. So those "short cut" shafts are 418grn with the 125's, and my "turkey arrows" which are long enough to give me about 1/2" shaft past my riser run about 445grns (I forget the exact number, not as much of a turkey hunter as deer hunter). I get 323fps out of my Bowtech with the 418grn arrows and 293fps with the 445's. 95 and 85ft.lbs. respectively.

I've been running Rage 125grn Chisel points for deer, but I suppose with that much armor and gristle, a 1pc or welded steel point would be a better choice. Maybe a NAP Bloodrunner? (I own 2 sets of Bloodrunners in 100 and 125grns.

I would assume that if I HIT the spine, my arrows would break it, as I've cut the spine and broken shoulders on deer even with the Rage's (100% FUBAR's the Rage's), but it'd be a matter of ensuring I cut the windpipe/arteries to kill quickly, AND severed the spine. Not knowing the anatomy in their neck well enough, I'm assuming that's not likely?

Yup Varminterror only two hogs and only two deer, but a ton of fish with a bow several gar over 6'

I can see why a lot of guys go with 70# bows and know of a few guys that shoot the big bows on fish to get down deep in clear water

Originally Posted By: the impactzone
anymore if it doesn't leave the muzzle at 3000fps or weight over 400grs I do nothing but head shots.

You shooting them with a Barrett?

I would like to see the wound channel...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: the impactzone
anymore if it doesn't leave the muzzle at 3000fps or weight over 400grs I do nothing but head shots.

I think he was referring to 3000fps rifles and 400grn arrows, independently. I caught that earlier today and thought, FML, I have some d@mn heavy hitters in my safe and none of them can get THAT HOT!! Lol!!

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: the impactzone

I think he was referring to 3000fps rifles and 400grn arrows, independently. I caught that earlier today and thought, FML, I have some d@mn heavy hitters in my safe and none of them can get THAT HOT!! Lol!!

Opps... That make sence

Here in north Florida we have plenty of hogs and to save a lot of work we've found that the best place to shoot them is near the road...
tt2.gif
thumbup1.gif
tt2.gif

An old man once told me that trying to drag a dead hog is like trying to drag a bowling ball... I've found that to be true except the hog is harder... LOL

$bob$

Back