Chipotle Grill gun ban...

More from NRA:

[quoteThe National Rifle Association has rolled back an earlier statement criticizing "open carry" rallies in Texas in which gun rights advocates have brought military-style assault rifles into public places.

Chris Cox, the executive director of the group's lobbying arm, said in an interview Tuesday on an NRA-hosted radio show that the statement was "a mistake" and that it was written by a staffer who was expressing his personal opinion.

"The truth is, an alert went out that referred to this type of behavior as `weird' or somehow not normal, and that was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened," said Cox, who added that the group "unequivocally" supports open carry laws.

The open carry rallies in restaurants and other businesses -- part of a push for less restrictive gun laws, including legalizing the open carry of handguns -- have prompted public criticism, and the NRA appeared to join in last week.

The statement appeared on the website of the group's lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action, saying that the demonstrations were counterproductive, scary and "downright weird."

"Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners. That's not the Texas way. And that's certainly not the NRA way," the unsigned statement said. It remained on the NRA's website early Wednesday.

Open Carry Texas, one of the groups behind the recent demonstrations, had said if the NRA didn't retract the statement, Open Carry would withdraw its full support for the NRA.

Tov Henderson, an Open Carry member, told WFAA-TV in Dallas that the group's clarification was refreshing.

"Getting the clarification from them that it wasn't an official stance and that it was just a low-level employee ... it makes sense," Henderson said.

Texas has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country, but openly carrying handguns remains illegal. Long guns like rifles can be carried openly but must be done so in a way that does not cause alarm. But gun holders can be charged with disorderly conduct if anyone around them feels threatened.

The open carry demonstrations, while peaceful, have upset some witnesses.

The Chipotle restaurant chain asked customers last month not to bring firearms into its stores after members of Open Carry Texas brought military-style assault rifles into one of its restaurants in the Dallas area.
] [/quote]
fox news

This confirms my belief that LaPierre and Cox are spineless. I'm not buying a lengthy statement was just randomly posted by some low level staffer or intern. The NRA is a political machine. They don't hand the reins over to a summer intern.

If they can't stand up against a couple wannabe mall ninjas who were out to cause a stir and create negative attention, I'm not sure what common sense they have left.

I have a member of OCT at work. When I first started and he found out I was a hunter/shooter with an interest in AR's, he began to tell me about his adventures carrying his AR in McDonald's. "We had sooo much in common" according to him, I told him he does NOT speak for me and not to include me in his retelling of his idiocy. The road to [beeep] is paved with good intentions, the roads to [beeep] are paved by idiots.

Chupa

Last edited:
I don't accept the idea that I'm being "influenced by the Leftist agenda" because my view is that being openly provocative is NOT an effective method of persuasion.

I'm being influenced by reality because--wait for it--being openly provocative is, in fact, NOT an effective method of persuasion.

The Left is constantly building a stereotype of gun owners. They portray us as being a bunch of brain-dead, Rambo-wannanbies. Like it or not, we ARE involved in a PR battle with the antis and we DO need to be aware of how the actions of gun owners influence public perception.

There are good ways of promoting your cause and there are bad ways. Getting in someone's face and saying, "I don't give a #### what you think, I'm carrying my gun anywhere I want to," isn't likely to be very effective and, in fact, will most likely have the opposite effect by turning people against us.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseI don't accept the idea that I'm being "influenced by the Leftist agenda" because my view is that being openly provocative is NOT an effective method of persuasion.

I'm being influenced by reality because--wait for it--being openly provocative is, in fact, NOT an effective method of persuasion.

The Left is constantly building a stereotype of gun owners. They portray us as being a bunch of brain-dead, Rambo-wannanbies. Like it or not, we ARE involved in a PR battle with the antis and we DO need to be aware of how the actions of gun owners influence public perception.

There are good ways of promoting your cause and there are bad ways. Getting in someone's face and saying, "I don't give a #### what you think, I'm carrying my gun anywhere I want to," isn't likely to be very effective and, in fact, will most likely have the opposite effect by turning people against us.

Grouse

Yep

Chupa

Mr Watkins needs to realize that there is nothing "normal" about an armed gang walking into a restaurant and can only result in alienating the public.

Quote:"We don't ask for permission or call anybody. We're trying to make this as normal as possible," he said.

Quote:
Pro-gun group chides North Texas followers

Thursday May 08, 2014 |
Emily Schmall for The Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A Texas gun-rights group known for openly carrying firearms and a North Texas affiliate have parted ways after police were called on the affiliate twice in recent weeks.

Authorities say Fort Worth and Arlington police responded to 911 calls last week and late last month reporting that a group of men carrying rifles and shotguns had entered fast-food restaurants in their respective cities.

Both Open Carry Texas and Open Carry Tarrant County dispute that account, saying that instead of hiding, the fast-food employees posed for pictures with the gun-toting members. But they have agreed to a "mutual parting without animosity" because of a disagreement on how their signature protests are carried out — exposing a rift in the state's growing open-carry movement.

Open Carry Texas founder C.J. Grisham said the North Texas group should have notified authorities of their planned appearance in advance and that demonstrators should have carried flags with the group's logo.

"They need to know we're not going to be shooting up the place," Grisham said, adding that the Tarrant County group's "desire to resist that effort" to call police ahead of events harmed the cause for more gun rights in Texas.

Open Carry Tarrant County Coordinator Kory Watkins, however, said that notifying authorities ahead of time would defeat the purpose of the demonstrations, which is to exercise their legal right to bear arms.

"We don't ask for permission or call anybody. We're trying to make this as normal as possible," he said.

The open-carry movement was triggered last year when police arrested Grisham on a resisting-arrest charge. He ultimately was convicted of interfering with police duties. He was walking in the outskirts of Temple, Texas, armed with a semi-automatic rifle when an officer approached. His son videotaped his arrest and broadcast it on YouTube, inspiring a wave of support for Grisham.

After being jailed briefly, he was tried and found guilty, and a jury fined him $2,000. He is currently appealing the verdict. In the meantime, Open Carry Texas has grown to 16,000 members, and there are dozens of loosely affiliated offshoots, including, until this week, Open Carry Tarrant County.

Texas has some of the most liberal gun laws in the country, but openly carrying handguns is illegal. Open-carry groups are lobbying the Texas Legislature to change this rule.

In addition to leading open-carry marches three times a week in Tarrant County, Watkins, 30, is running as a Republican candidate for the local school board, and advocates arming teachers and school administrators.

"I don't see why anybody would think a gun-free zone is a good thing," he said.

Fort Worth police say Jack in the Box employees locked themselves in a freezer when Open Carry Tarrant County members appeared last week. Employees of the restaurant told the Associated Press they were not allowed to speak on the matter.

Jack in the Box spokesman Brian Luscomb said he could not confirm how employees responded to the armed men.

http://www.newsdaily.com/health/c595c620...texas-followers

Regards,
hm

Back