Dehydrator ?

odgreen

What do you guys recommend ? We have a wally world close and they have some pretty cheap and a new cabalas opened up not long ago. A friend of mine has been buying the cheap ones and he says he gets a few years out of them then gets another one. I'm thinkin getting a middle of the road one as they can get pretty expensive. I'd probable use it a few times a year till i figure out what i like and also what i could do with it. I'm open for all recommendations. Thanks for the help I'm a noob about these things.

I bought a cheap one and it worked. We used it a lot when we first got it, not so much the next year, and I can't even remember the last time that we used it. To me it's kind of like a hot tub, fun at first then it just doesn't get used. I'd start with a cheap one then see how much you actually use it before you spend a lot of money.
The one thing that we did really enjoy making in it was jerky.

In my experience, the ones with the fan are best. I've useda gardenmaster for four years now and my only complaint is size. But then again I probably make 25lbs of jerky a year.

if you're just getting into it - you should try looking at local garage sales.

lots of people get them for x-mas or fathers day, use them a few times and then they sit in the box, untouched until they hit the garage sale table a couple summers down the road.

i picked up one (for brass drying) for $5 that looked like it was used half a dozen times. i would have had no problem giving the trays a once through the dishwasher and using it to make some jerky or whatever if i didnt already have a smoker. [edit] before i used it for brass of course [/edit]

Last edited:
I bought a chard at Sam's for 216.00 and it is the biggest one they had.
The same one at Cabela's ( with Cabela's name on it )was 489.00.
My wife uses it all the time .

We got one at a garage sale, we use it enough I should look for a better one, although it works pretty good. We make apple chips every year, enough that they last until the following season.

I'm thinking about trying jerky, but thought I'd use the smoker for that. Maybe smoke them good and then use the dehydrator to finish it?

One thing I've found is that the bottom trays get dry faster than the top ones, so rotating every few hours is a good idea. We've numbered them to keep track of where they've been.

Try craigslist, it's a good way to get a much nicer one than you'd be willing to buy new.

Back