Z max vs V max - hand loading question

Originally Posted By: brusso89That is a great pic! I know the weight and design is exactly the same but the v max has a match grade jacket and the z max doesn't (that's why the z max are cheaper) my most accurate charge for my ar 15 is 23.2 grains of h335 for the v max. I will test a few around that charge but not the whole min - max and I will report back. im thinking the same charge will be just as accurate but only one way to find out.

I know, you read it on the internet...

Bonjour-1_zps190d8abf.jpg

Originally Posted By: midwestpredator I will dissagree with the gimmick part though. True, they were marketed for the zombie craze but i dont care what color the tip is, the z's are cheaper so thats why i bought them to shoot coyotes and p dogs. No sense in spending more money for the same bullet.

Maybe gimmick was the wrong word. Cleaver marketing, maybe? Using a craze (zombies) to their advantage. It was a a good marketing plan, either way. I shot a bunch of the 58 ZMax in my 243...great bullets. And I kinda like the green tips, not zombie related...just something a bit different.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: midwestpredator I will dissagree with the gimmick part though. True, they were marketed for the zombie craze but i dont care what color the tip is, the z's are cheaper so thats why i bought them to shoot coyotes and p dogs. No sense in spending more money for the same bullet.

Maybe gimmick was the wrong word. Cleaver marketing, maybe? Using a craze (zombies) to their advantage. It was a a good marketing plan, either way. I shot a bunch of the 58 ZMax in my 243...great bullets. And I kinda like the green tips, not zombie related...just something a bit different.

yes I agree, it was GREAT marketing and at the same time offered the reloader an opportunity to save some $$$. I would say that the factory loaded zmax is a gimmick, in that most areas around me a box of 20 was $1-4 more than the comparable vmax loaded ammo.

The V-max uses a match grade jacket formed by a conventional cup and core process. The Z-max jacket is formed by a plating process. that's what a rep at Hornady told me.

If everything was the same why wouldn't they sell the v max in a 500 count box also?

Originally Posted By: brusso89The V-max uses a match grade jacket formed by a conventional cup and core process. The Z-max jacket is formed by a plating process. that's what a rep at Hornady told me.

I was told different when I called...strange happenings.

If everything was the same why wouldn't they sell the v max in a 500 count box also?

It's called Marketing.

"Combined with AMP™ jacket technology, the Z-Max™ bullet is built to...MAKE DEAD PERMANENT!"

AMP jackets are not plated. They are Swaged just the same as VMax and AMax. Just a little more info.

Originally Posted By: brusso89The V-max uses a match grade jacket formed by a conventional cup and core process. The Z-max jacket is formed by a plating process. that's what a rep at Hornady told me.

That is pure, silly nonsense. They are the same bullet with different color dye in the plastic - call Hornady and confirm it before you go spreading more myths and silly BS on the internet!

Steve Hornady thought it would be a funny spoof on the Zombie craze thing going around at the time, and it took off. They are finished with them, and they will not be made any more.

Bonjour-1_zps190d8abf.jpg

Back