Z max vs V max - hand loading question

brusso89

i have a accurate load worked up for my ar-15 using the 50 grain Hornady v max bullets. i bought a pack of 500 z max 50 grain bullets, i know they are the exact same bullet just different jackets. I measured to bullets and the o give and everything is the same. so my question is should i test loads with the new z max bullets or will the tested/most accurate load for the v max be the most accurate charge for the z max also? thanks for any input!

Might want to ask the zombie what he thinks after he absorbs all those v-max's. V-max vs. Z-max...........Hornady knows it's coming.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760They are the same bullets as the VMax. It would be no different as if you bought 2 boxes of VMax.

Yeah. I see no difference-zilch- in the way my guns shoot them compared to the V-max. Just as explosive too. Gun goes boom critter goes pop. That's what I want.

There was a thread a while back (a year maybe) where someone cut a vmax and zmax down the middle the long way. The ZMax actually had a thicker jacket, so IMO I would re-test just for confidence.

Originally Posted By: BWBThere was a thread a while back (a year maybe) where someone cut a vmax and zmax down the middle the long way. The ZMax actually had a thicker jacket, so IMO I would re-test just for confidence.

That picture floating around is a 123 gr .311 dia SST VS ZMax. Not the same as the 123 VMax.

Don't all SST's have a cannelure? The picture/thread I saw, neither bullet had a cannelure... I thought they were 50 grain bullets. I may be mistaken...it's been a while.

Last edited:

There is a canelure in this picture. These are not, be design, the same bullets. They are not a VMax to ZMax comparison.

Here are some 50 gr VMax vs ZMax. Same-Same

That is a great pic! I know the weight and design is exactly the same but the v max has a match grade jacket and the z max doesn't (that's why the z max are cheaper) my most accurate charge for my ar 15 is 23.2 grains of h335 for the v max. I will test a few around that charge but not the whole min - max and I will report back. im thinking the same charge will be just as accurate but only one way to find out.

Originally Posted By: brusso89That is a great pic! I know the weight and design is exactly the same but the v max has a match grade jacket and the z max doesn't (that's why the z max are cheaper) my most accurate charge for my ar 15 is 23.2 grains of h335 for the v max. I will test a few around that charge but not the whole min - max and I will report back. im thinking the same charge will be just as accurate but only one way to find out.

Oh great... Now the vmax have match grade jackets?

Just when I thought the only difference was the color of the tip and a different sticker on the box.... Chit.....now I'm really confused..

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: brusso89That is a great pic! I know the weight and design is exactly the same but the v max has a match grade jacket and the z max doesn't (that's why the z max are cheaper) my most accurate charge for my ar 15 is 23.2 grains of h335 for the v max. I will test a few around that charge but not the whole min - max and I will report back. im thinking the same charge will be just as accurate but only one way to find out.

Oh great... Now the vmax have match grade jackets?

Chit.....now I'm really confused..

Silly! Didn't you read what it said on the box? They are indeed "match" grade because you have to aware they could strike anywhere.

Sorry. It's early and I have only had one cup of coffee. I will go back and get more now.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: brusso89 I know the weight and design is exactly the same but the v max has a match grade jacket and the z max doesn't (that's why the z max are cheaper)

scared.gif
w00t.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: brusso89 I know the weight and design is exactly the same but the v max has a match grade jacket and the z max doesn't (that's why the z max are cheaper)

Is there somewhere that we can find verification of this?

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Originally Posted By: brusso89 I know the weight and design is exactly the same but the v max has a match grade jacket and the z max doesn't (that's why the z max are cheaper)

Is there somewhere that we can find verification of this?

you read it here. that is all you need.

They are the same...end of story. Call Hornady yourself. The reason they were cheaper is because it was a bulk buy gimmick. And they sold TONS!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760They are the same...end of story. Call Hornady yourself. The reason they were cheaper is because it was a bulk buy gimmick. And they sold TONS!

Yup! I thought the z's had a thicker jacket due to the first cut away pic but after some research and a couple calls into hornady, i found out they are IDENTICAL.

I will dissagree with the gimmick part though. True, they were marketed for the zombie craze but i dont care what color the tip is, the z's are cheaper so thats why i bought them to shoot coyotes and p dogs. No sense in spending more money for the same bullet.

Back