NiMH Batteries and Chargers--A Primer

Maybe I should have posted here instead

Originally Posted By: DirtydudeI've already got this
http://www.duratrax.com/chargers/onyx/dtxp4210.html
dtxp4210-main.jpg

and two of these:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info...tor-72V-3000mAh
vnr1539.jpg

Why couldn't I hook the two batteries together for 14.4v ?

I could swap out the plug for a tamiya style, it'd be easy I just wanna make sure first.

dumb question? I already have all this stuff just wondering if I could use it for this application.

the caller uses 10AA batteries, alkaline 10x1.5 = 15v
it preferes nimh due to the high load so 10x1.2 = 12v

seems the caller would handle anything from 12v to 15v?

Originally Posted By: coyote controlCoyotehunter,
Snowcamoman here on the forum, mention in a thread once about a charger he had - Look Here, and so I bought one and like it very well.
It will give you the actual mAh rating of the battery after charging - which this is something none of the other chargers will do that I know of.
So after 2 yrs on a set of 8 batteries, that started out @2700mAh, they are now down to 2300mAh + or -.

Yes I've seen them. If they would charge 8 batteries at one time I'd get one of those. They should do the job well. At least you will know what the battery is doing though out it's life.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Originally Posted By: coyote controlCoyotehunter,
Snowcamoman here on the forum, mention in a thread once about a charger he had - Look Here, and so I bought one and like it very well.
It will give you the actual mAh rating of the battery after charging - which this is something none of the other chargers will do that I know of.
So after 2 yrs on a set of 8 batteries, that started out @2700mAh, they are now down to 2300mAh + or -.

Yes I've seen them. If they would charge 8 batteries at one time I'd get one of those. They should do the job well. At least you will know what the battery is doing though out it's life.
Humm, ever think of getting two of them? I did and now I can charge 8 batteries at a time - problem solved.

There is a "break in" mode on these and using that mode on "new" batteries will really help in the longevity of the battery.

Originally Posted By: EDPAnybody use this charger
Tenergy TN160 12-Bay AA/AAA NIMH/NICD LCD Smart Battery Charger

http://www.all-battery.com/tn160_nimh_nicdbatterycharger-01160.aspx

And how about the tenergy 2600ah anyone use those batteries ?

I just bought one of those chargers from All Battery, had it for 3 days now. Seems to be a good charger for the money. It provides information as to the status of each battery. I've already found 2 bad AAA batteries with it that weren't taking a charge. My other charger was showing them to be charging. I just got 10 of the white and blue 2500ahm Tenergy AA's today for my Hellfire, they're charging right now.

Originally Posted By: EDP

I don't use any battery with the Tenergy name, they are not my "cup of tea" as one would say.

If I want a good AA or AAA NiMh battery, then I go with Sanyo XX (LSD) or Powerx. Same when using the 18650 Lithium battery's for the L.E.D. flashlights, no Tenergy for these lights either, I like the battery's that have the cells that are made in Japan and not China.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyote controlI like the battery's that have the cells that are made in Japan and not China.

There's something to be said for this. Most of the reviews I've seen of people posting test results for Chinese vs. Japanese made cells are that the Chinese made tend to be across the board in terms of rated capacity. The Japanese made cells tend to be much more consistent with each other. This holds true not just with different brands, but within the same brands.

Like anything else, you aren't going to get higher quality by paying less.

I picked up a maha mh-c9000 and have been using it regularly with the powerex 2700 batteries.

What would those of you in the know suggest for something of similar capabilities for charging 9 volt batteries?

I called up Maha today. They, at least, don't carry anything like the c-9000 for 9v. Their c490f and c1090f models both charge the batteries independently. The first is four stations; the second has 10 stations.

Originally Posted By: yammerschoonerI picked up a maha mh-c9000 and have been using it regularly with the powerex 2700 batteries.

What would those of you in the know suggest for something of similar capabilities for charging 9 volt batteries?

Last edited:
Just picked up the Foxpro Fusion yesterday now looking at batteries and chargers. After reading through this it looks like I'll be getting the maha mh-c9000 charger and some 2700ahm batteries. I plan on buying and extra set to keep fully charged and with me in the field.

My question is, in general how long will this call last on these batterys before I need to replace them? I will be doing most of my calling in cold temperatures this winter. Will they last for 4-5hrs of calling?

Last edited:
Depends on the volume you use, how cold and how much you call on a stand.

I usually do 20-35 minute stands with the caller on about 70-80% of the time. I run the volume up and down. I can get 12-20 stands on a fully charged NIMH batteries and most of the time in cold weather 12-15. In hours I would say 3 in cold and 5 in milder weather.

With Lithium rechargeable batteries I can easily get double that. They weigh half as much as NIMH and last twice as long-----and cost about twice as much. Cry once buy once.

Keep your caller and remote out of the cold between sets if at all possible. Carry them in your pocket or under your coat if your walking. It's good that you are going to carry an extra set of batteries with you. That has come in handy for me more than once. Be sure to carry back up batteries for your REMOTE also. The Fusion was also a great choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yote Yoda USMCWith Lithium rechargeable batteries I can easily get double that. They weigh half as much as NIMH and last twice as long-----and cost about twice as much. Cry once buy once.
Yote Yoda - What Lithium rechargeable AA batteries are you using?

Yote Yoda - What Lithium rechargeable AA batteries are you using? [/quote]

In my Shockwave and CS24C I use the Lithium Battery Pack from FoxPro.

I also use the NIMH welded Battery Pack from FoxPro and it also outlast the individual batteries that most use.

I have tried every battery combo on callers and decoys known to mankind over the past 30 years. I haven't used anything that will give your more running time than the two welded battery packs that FoxPro has listed on their website.

Last edited:
As far as chargers go, I use a nitecore i4. No problems after two seasons. I'll be trying lithiums with my new fusion also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EDPAnybody use this charger
Tenergy TN160 12-Bay AA/AAA NIMH/NICD LCD Smart Battery Charger

http://www.all-battery.com/tn160_nimh_nicdbatterycharger-01160.aspx

Looked at that one, but my game cams use 8 AA batteries each, and I was tired of using two chargers to charge batteries for those one at a time. Went with a 16 bay smart charger found on Amazon instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UNPM3M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I picked up 2-16 packs of EBL 2800 mAh AA bateries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNPT1AO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't had a chance to test them and don't know a thing about EBL as a brand. Charger is fantastic! LOVE IT!! The EBL AA batteries are supposedly the hottest available, but like many things on the net, they receive mixed reviews.

Per the pic on foxpro's site their batteries appear to be Tenergy. I'm gonna get some of those new eneloop pro AA for my fusion. I use the Nitecore i4 charger. Only 4 bays but can charge anything including 18650's. Charger was $25 on eBay.

Back