Road kill or viewing from the highway

kylekrm944

While I haven't driven millions of miles down Texas highways, I have driven a few in other states that have huge hog populations.

Why do you seldom see road kill hogs?

I have never seen hogs at dawn/dusk in fields.

Any insight?

Guys that live in Hog Heaven, if you were to use daylight from the vehicle sightings, how would you assess your hog population?

Kyle

Kyle, I'll pretty much agree with you from being in FL...I see very few at any time along the roadways, but my neighbor can go a few blocks away to some public ground behind the local hospital and get one every weekend if he wants...While we don't see them, the next morning you will find their activity spots along the right of way next to the road on the edge of town..I don't know if they venture out when the traffic is the lightest around 3-4 AM, or they have invisible cloaks...

The FL underbrush in undeveloped areas is really thick and a hog could be standing within 3 feet of the edge and you would never spot it on a normal basis

There are actually quite a few around here, many times I have seen entire sounders slaughtered by either a car or a truck, with significant damage.

One Electrical Engineering professor at the university where I work was killed last year when his pickup T-bone a large hog in the middle of the road not far from my farm, they had to bring out a backhoe to bury the big boar in the easement on the side of the road.

I saw two road killed hogs in the last couple of weeks. I saw several on the trip back from the PM hunt in Feb.

If I assessed our deer population just by what I see driving around in the day time, I would say we didn't have very many deer. I might go a week or two without seeing a deer.

Last edited:
Road sightings wouldn't be a reliable indication of our hog population, that's for sure. I've only seen one road kill hog at a place where I killed over 100 in a year, and you never see them in the front pastures.

Possibly because hogs are smarter than deer and they don't get hit as much. Also because they are built like tanks and just as tough. The one's that do get hit and aren't killed right away make it the brush.

Originally Posted By: RayBPossibly because hogs are smarter than deer and they don't get hit as much. Also because they are built like tanks and just as tough. The one's that do get hit and aren't killed right away make it the brush.

I have seen many just off the road only because the buzzards where on them, they do get hit around here, once saw a sounder in the media of the hwy and thought man that's an accident in the making.

there is a place were they cross a county round by me its at in a small dip at the top of a rise in the road. about once a month there is plastic all over the place and a big blood stain in the road. some once hit a sounder and there were several dead 20ish pounders scattered about in various states of dismemberment. guy that lives there hauls the off i think.

Back