optics for predator max1

jbrand89

I just ordered a savage predator max1 chambered in .204

next step is adding a scope and im wondering what you guys recomend. I will be doing some night hunting I would say shots within 100-150 yards. also some day time shooting/hunting
150-300 yards.
I know that leuopold and nikkon are good options but Im curious what your input would be.

thank you

Originally Posted By: jbrand89I just ordered a savage predator max1 chambered in .204

next step is adding a scope and im wondering what you guys recomend. I will be doing some night hunting I would say shots http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/images/markup_panel/default/bigger.gifwithin 100-150 yards. also some day time shooting/hunting
150-300 yards.
I know that leuopold and nikkon are good options but Im curious what your input would be.

thank you

Your going to like that MAX 1
I have one in 243. I have a SWFA 5x20X50HD on it but I also shoot it out as far as a 1000.
smile.gif
You should spend as much on the optics as you did the weapon.

I usually keep a 3.5-10x44 conquest on mine, but had to send the scope in for repair. Im gonna put a vortex viper 2.5-10 on it for now. I think a scope in the 3-9 or 10 range will be appropriate for you. And you don't need to spend 800 on your optic if you don't want to for a hunting rig. If you want illuminated reticle for night hunting, a leupold Vxr with a firedot would make a nice scope for both day and night. I think they run 600 or a little less.

Do you want a illum reticle?

What's your budget?

Last edited:
im thinking that I want an illuminated rectile but im not 100% sure. Ive seen things like "coyote light" that actually mount to the scope? Im green when it comes to this stuff as you can probably tell. I know that a scope is not somewhere to cheap out.

3DHUSKER, 1,000 yards! thats crazy!

An illuminated reticle would be nice at night, but wouldn't replace a spotlight or scope mounted light. It would allow you to see your reticle quickly, but you'd still need your target lit up somehow.

I brought up the VXR because you mentioned Leupold. The VX-r would be mid line leupold glass but would have a firedot duplex, which would be your standard duplex with a re dot in the middle. Check leupold.com out. I would think that scope in a 3-9 would make a great day/night hunting scope for $550 (Midway price). There are others in that line also.

If you don't need illum, you could get better glass in the vx3 for a little more money. And I believe you can order them as well with illum reticles, but you're now talking $900 range.

There are numerous possibilities. If you're not sure what you want, I would advise going to a store and looking thru as many as you can.

A vx3 would make a nice scope. I bought a 50mm, but if I did it over would just get a 40 and save $100. 3.5-10 would be about right for you IMO. The 4-12 would be offered in vx2 and not as good if you ask me.

A VX-3 would be a very very good scope, a VX-2 is still a very good scope. I'd stick with a 40mm objective also. The 50 isn't worth the extra $$$ IMO.

sounds great thanks for all the help. I will compare the vx2 and vx3 hands on and make a decision. when it comes to 3.5-10 or 4-12 why do you say the 4-12 is not as good? 4-12 would be more magnification correct?

Usually, the recommendation for hunting at your ranges is to stay close to 3-9 because the lower end magnification will have a wider field of view. The vx3 3.5-10 has 29 feet FOV at low power, while the 4-12 vx2 only has 20. in many hunting situations wide FOV is preferable to high magnification. But any of these will work for you. The 3-9 or 4-12 vx2 would be good, the 3.5-10 vx3 good even a little better IMO. Look thru them all, and buy whichever you like. I don't think you'd go wrong among the 3.

Buy Vortex---,affordable , stands with the best-unsurpassed customer service and the VIP Forever Unconditional Warranty------and they have a very good illuminated model---Hard to beat this Great scope for night hunting. I use mine with a green hunting scope light and the crosshairs and red dot [V-BRITE RETICLE] show up Great--on moon light on snow no need to turn on the green light---you won't be sorry buying a Vortex---MY 2 CENTS
thumbup.gif
---sb--------p.s. Vortex Optics---MIDDLETON WIS.

Last edited:
If you run a good light night hunting, I don't see the need for a lit ret. I've ran vxII 6-18x40 and vx3 3.5-10x40 in the darkness with no troubles.

For an all around hunting scope the Leupold 3.5-10's are hard to beat.

You can't go wrong with a Vortex or a Leupold I've owned both. But I prefer my Leupold VXIII's.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhI usually keep a 3.5-10x44 conquest on mine, but had to send the scope in for repair.

What was the issue? I had one mounted on my .204 for two years and then put it on a .300 win. mag. In January I had to send it off for repair. The parallax side focus knob started to grind and wouldn't adjust. It has left a bad taste in my mouth.

A speck of something, prob paint or dirt, appeared on the inside of the ocular lens. It appears at lower mag and goes away as you power it up. They said 10-12 weeks to get it back, so yeah, that's not the awesome customer service you'd get from either Leupold or Vortex.

I have both VX-3 and Conquests, and side by side I do very slightly favor the glass in the Conquest. But Leupold has them beat in other aspects, most notably in customer service as I know it wouldn't take that long to get a vx3 fixed.

Back