Bark River Gunny Hunter?

Timberbeast7

Seen a lot of positive comments about Bark River knives on the forum and was curious if anyone has comments/experience specific to the Gunny Hunter. I'm looking for a nice field dressing/field butchering knife and this one looks like it would fit the bill but I've never held any BR knives. Anyone?

I have a Gunny and love it. It is an excellent all-around blade and very popular, at that. I prefer the Gunny to the GH but either is a great knife. I currently own 4-5 other Bark Rivers also and like them all....

Thanks 2muchgun. Any specific reasons you prefer the Gunny? I am not opposed to either but I'm looking for a knife specifically for cutting game in the field. I have a couple good general purpose fixed blades and am looking to specialize a little. Also, any opinions on the steels used? The GH is only made in 3V while the Gunny can be had in A2, 3V, or S35V.

AFAIK, only difference is the thumb ramp. I like it there.

As for steels, I like good old A2. The other 2 are good also. Never used 3V, but it supposedly holds an edge longer, but is also more difficult to sharpen they say.

S35V is a very good steel, but I'd not be interested in it for this particular knife. Contrary to what many believe, it was not made to be "the next step up from S30V", and it isn't. It is easier to sharpen, harder to chip, but will NOT hold an edge as well as a properly sharpened knife in S30V, IMO.

Another thing is, where convex grinds are concerned, I like tool steels......

Cool. Thanks for the info. The GH's blade geometry is a little different (dropped point a little and a different convex grind) according to BR's website. I just "discovered" Bark River thanks to posts by you and a couple others here and now there are four that I want already...Gunny Hunter, Little Caper, Wolf River Skinner, and a Canadian! Thanks a lot...
crazy.gif

Hmmm. Interesting. That could be, I guess. Or maybe more variations than I know of. When I bought mine there were about a dozen Gunnys to choose from. Some had thumb ramp, some did not. Other than different steel types, they looked otherwise identical in every way. I held a few in hand, and decidedI liked the ramp. You will be pleasantly surprised at how well the Gunny fits your hand.

I have a Canadian Special and 2 mini Canadians. Great knives......

I have a gunny and love it.Good size and fits the hand.Also have a Highland special,Fox river,and a mini Canadian.Great knives and are not priced out of line.

Randy

Back