Anyone use the Stainless Fluted 16"/18" AR Stoner Medium Contour Barrel?

d2admin

Administrator
I searched back a yr and found nothing with AR Stoner in the search other than the mount and 6.5 Grendel threads, so please forgive me if I am beating a dead horse here.

Building a new upper for the daughter and these peeked my interest. I am building her one using the 223 Wylde chamber with a 1 in 8" twist. I can't find out any information about who makes them. I did see one review where the gentleman mentioned it was an ER Shaw barrel. Most reviews mention that they like a variety of bullet weights. I have some Midway Gift Certificates I need to use up is the only reason I am asking.

Has anyone used one of these? Any information about them other than Midway's site?

Thanks Darryle

Remainder of the build will consist of:

Aero Precision Upper
Spike's Nickle Boron Carrier Assembly
BCM Gun Fighter Charging Handle
Midwest Industries SS Free Float

I helped my brother put the 18" stainless 223 Wylde AR Stoner barrel on his upper. It is very accurate with his reloads, like .5 MOA. I think for less money you can do just as well. It does have a lot of eye appeal however.

Originally Posted By: kpkieferI think you'll be good to go. I sent you a PM with some info. I'm interested in your info also. Thanks

For anyone else....

I put one on my rifle mainly because it was lightweight and in stock. I would consider the machining to be very high quality. The flute edges are extremely sharp...too sharp. I used a sharpie marker and some 1500 sandpaper wrapped around it to dull the edges a bit. Anything that hits just the edges without hitting the bottom or sides of the flutes will work (if you care how sharp they are in the first place).

I've mostly been shooting some cheap FMJ reloads through the barrel and it does OK. It's around an inch, maybe sligtly more. Those reloads have proven not to be very accurate (compared to my Vmax's) in several rifles. I can still hit the 4"x4" steel plate at 300 yards 4 out of 5 times with the bad ammo. I fully expect that the barrel will shoot very well with some decent bullets going through it and once it gets a couple hundred rounds through it. I have some Vmax's waiting to go, but the weather here in MN has not been cooperating at all.

Overall, I think it's a good barrel that serves the purpose of a hunting rifle extremely well. Are there "better" brands out there? Yes. Are there worse brands? Yes.

Here's an intersting bit of info......
I used an AR stoner that I expect will shoot sub MOA pretty easily
A friend just put on what is generally considered a high end barrel...and he hasn't been able to shoot sub 3" groups with it. I personally think the guy running the machine is more responsible for accuracy than the brand stamped on it.

Well, I ordered the 16", gas block, gas tube, and a dozen gas tube roll pins, and with the $45 off $300 coupon I basically got everything else for the price of the barrel.

All I need is to settle on a forend length and get it ordered, then I can put it together.

Let us know how it shoots! I know when I was researching the barrels, there wasn't much useful info on them. I decided to take a chance on it and I've been happy with it. Hope it works out for ya.

Back