Anyone load the Honady 53gr V-Max?

Widow maker 223,

Why don't you post your buldged case picture on the AR forum. I've never seen anything like that, but some of the boys over there may be able to help. Be shure to say what brand of cases, or anything else that might help them.

I was uninformed about the pressure thing untill a few weeks ago. After much research on pressure testing, I was brought to a whole new conclusion. What is posted in most reloading manuals about .223/5.56 NATO about pressure is wrong. It's a shame that most gun writers repeat the same bad information.

.223 and 5.56 NATO are loaded to the same pressure.

I guess it could be possible to jam a long heavy bullet, seated out long, into the lands of a .223, and increase pressure slightly.

Originally Posted By: Steve M.smokeless, thanks for the reply. My barrel is 18" and 1:8 twist...

OK. You may get to 3250fps in your 18" tube, but you are going to have to push it. Accuracy may suffer, and may not. You will have to play with a lot more powders than you have on hand to get that velocity. My suggestion would be to pick up some IMR-8208xbr, and give it a whirl. Try the powders you have as well, but I think you will find more of what your looking for, with a different powder than you have, and the 53gr v-max. IMO.

Do you have, or have access to a chronograph? There is no other way to tell the velocity in your firearm. What books say, is what they tested, not what it will be in your firearm.

No offense, but you need to take your problem to the AR Forum. What you have contributed to the OP's question is a BIG ZERO.

IMO, you have problems, not related to "pressure", but more equipment or component related.

Answer the OP's questions, or start your own thread, with your own topic. We all need answers to questions, but not at the expense of someone else's question.

thanks again smokeless. I appreciate your input. It's nice to have a baseline with some tested powder recommendations to get started. I'll probably pick up a pound of BL-C2 and 8208xbr, and try those along with my H335. Maybe even a pound of win 748. I'll bump em up until the accuracy starts to slide to see what works in my rifle. I've always wanted a chrono....this may be a good time to bite the bullet...

Last edited by a moderator:
Use caution with the BLC-2. It is very temperature sensitive. I used it one time and will not ever use it again.

Originally Posted By: Steve M.thanks again smokeless. I appreciate your input. It's nice to have a baseline with some tested powder recommendations to get started. I'll probably pick up a pound of BL-C2 and 8208xbr, and try those along with my H335. Maybe even a pound of win 748. I'll bump em up until the accuracy starts to slide to see what works in my rifle. I've always wanted a chrono....this may be a good time to bite the bullet...

Steve, if you will look at the first page of the 223 section of your Hornady manual, you will see that the test barrel Hornady used was a 26". Not 18" or 20".

If you are going to buy powder, I would suggest these for your 18" tube: Imr-8208xbr, TAC, Benchmark, H-322. These are all proven powders in the medium to faster burn range, they are temp stable as well. You said that you already have Varget, and H-335. Those will give you the slower end of burn speed. Slower powders may not burn up completely in your short tube.

Use the Google search bar at the top of the page and search these powders. You will find plenty of suggestions there. Start low, and work up.

I have to agree with this, things will be going good and all of a sudden you have blown primers, and if you load em down for the heat then it's low pressure when it's -10 below.Originally Posted By: reb8600Use caution with the BLC-2. It is very temperature sensitive. I used it one time and will not ever use it again.

reb and denny, thanks for the words of caution...noted!

And Smokeless, thanks again for the info. An excellent point about the 26" barrel. I appreciate your powder suggestions as well. I think I'll heed your advice and pick up those powders and work em up. Any recommendations for a good starting point with your suggested powders? (18", 1:8 twist barrel,AR15)
Thanks!

Had good luck with benchmark at 25grs in my tikka
030612100212.jpg

25 grs of tac works in my T/C Contender, 14 & 21" barrel, 16" AR, Model 12 Savage 20" bull, 20" Savage sporter barrel, 16" H&R Handi rifle. It also goes 'bang' in my mini 14 that has been cut to 16".
I also use Varget, H335, Benchmark.

Back