Night Vision/Thermal in PA?

MACK133

Just wondering...Is it legal in PA to use a Night Vision/Thermal/IR scope or "scanner" for lack of a better word? I couldn't draw a clear answer from the digest. Just want to make sure it's legal for I lay down money for one.

Last edited:
Call them directly or call you local warden. I got 3 different answers from the df&g when I was checking in NE. Finnaly a warden called and laid it out right.

I don't think you can, pretty sure just lights. It would be a game changer there if you could. I used to live in pa and took my toys up and my buddy wants them to but hes not going to spend that kind of money if he can't use it. Like 5spd said better check with the warden first. If you find out for sure let us know.

From the PA Fish and Game manual:

Persons hunting for furbearers, including coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons, skunks,
opossums and weasels, may use gun-mounted lights that do not project a laser-light beam.

See "Furtaking Seasons and Bag Limits"

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=968783&mode=2

Unfortunately, this confuses the issue more than anything. I could be wrong, but it looks like you can only use lights according to the manual.

Simple web search shows High Tech Redneck with the following information:

Pennsylvania

Night Hunting: Allowed, an artificial light may be used under the following conditions: a person hunting raccoons, skunks, opossums, bobcats, weasels, foxes, and coyotes on foot may use a handheld light or gun mounted light. Laser lights are prohibited.

Night Vision: Not Allowed, According to our Bureau of Wildlife Protection, night vision devices are specifically prohibited for hunting anything in Pennsylvania under the general prohibition against “Electronic Contrivances” as contained in Title 58 section 141.6 Illegal Devices subsection (6) Hunt or take wildlife through the use of an electronic device not permitted by commission regulation. The only exception is contained in Title 34 section 2308 (b) (i) Any archery sight or firearms scope which contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric, ultraviolet, or solar powered device to solely illuminate the sight or crosshairs within the scope, which essentially makes any night vision scopes illegal as they do more than “solely illuminate the crosshairs.” Above information verified by the PA DNR.
Phone: 717-787-4250

Yeah, I saw the High tec Redneck site, but I didn't know how credible they were not being an official State of Pennsylvania website.

Best off to look up the statutes mentioned in erict's post and determine for yourself before you use night vision.

That having been said, I agree it looks like a no go.

EDIT: Here it specifically states infrared beam:

(ii) Exception as otherwise provided under subparagraph (iii), no archery sight or firearm's scope shall contain or use any device, no matter how powered, to project or transmit any light beam, infrared beam, ultraviolet light beam, radio beam, thermal beam, ultrasonic beam, particle beam or other beam outside the sight or scope onto the target.

Page 61:

PA Game Commission Title 34 Chapter 23 - Portal.state.pa.us

Last edited:
There is NO SUCH THING as a Thermal Beam, thermal is completely passive, it only receives heat signature emissivity from the environment.

Originally Posted By: 5spdCall them directly or call you local warden. I got 3 different answers from the df&g when I was checking in NE. Finnaly a warden called and laid it out right.

Find the warden in your area, he will know if it is legal or illegal.

As far as what Skypup says, i would think Thermal imaging would be legal. It does not transmit any light. It gathers heat.

Best of luck!

i agree with skypup,i live in pa and only lights can be used,and one needs to be handheld.having a single light that is mounted on your gun will land you in trouble....but i bet you could fight the offense in court about thermal scope....and win.question is ,is it worth the time and effort?

Lights can absolutely be mounted to your gun in PA.

Page 57 2/3 way down on left, under firearms for hunting furbearers. Right at the end of the paragraph. "Persons hunting furbearers (all are listed) MAY use a gun mounted light that does not project a LASER beam".

Title 58 also prevents thermal or any other night vision. You would have absolutely no case in court if you were caught with it. I absolutely do not agree with this law, just stating the facts.

Back