Best night vision scope under $600?

Dultimatpredator

I don't have any experience with these n I'm contemplating on finally purchasing one. I just sent back My cabelas 532 lumen predator light and am going to exchange it for a vrl-1. But after selling my ice shanty I have about 400 saved that I thought could go for night vision. What night vision optic is going to give me the clearest picture for what I want to spend. And my last question us am I better off with goggles so I can leave them on all the time instead of having to scan with my rifle. Realistically am I better off with my light or advance to night vision?

Did a little looking in the archives after posting and saw I'm better off with my light until I want to step up to the plate on a gen 2 or better

Dultimat,

I would suggest saving up your money for a Gen3, I got a great deal on a used PS24 Thermal Imager which I use for scanning and a gently used Night Optics Gen 3 Night Vision scope. Even at used prices I spent a total of $4,400 and this didn't include an IR which you will need as well for your Night Vision.

If a light is currently working for you continue to save and as I always say, buy once and cry once! DO NOT waste your money on a Gen 2 or lower. The Gen 3 is light years ahead of everything else.

Best of luck to you and continue to search for used items here on PM. They do show up on occasion!

I have the Sightmark Photon 5x and a UNV20ir illuminator. I have yet to see a coyote as I've only been out once sinse I have had it. I can say that anything within 250yds will be in trouble. With this setup the only thing that limits me is the 5x magn. I fell ok out to about 250-300. But can definitely ID out past that.

Corn Fed, so did the Photon meet or exceed your expectations? I watched the Youtube review and am just wondering how it compared in person.

I have also found the ATN X-Sight 5X. It appears not to be available until March but looks like it might be decent setup with an illuminator.

Id say it has exceeded my expectations. I also thought about waiting for the Xsight. But figured I might buy it when it was shipping and sell the whichever I liked least. The Photon works very well for me. But like I said , I've only had it out once.

With forward and reverse recoil of an air rifle, I would be worried about trashing a night vision device and I would check with the manufacture.

Shopping around for best price is one thing, but being cheap can get expensive.

PS: Gateway to air guns is the forum I would visit for air rifle advice.

Good Luck

Last edited:
The photon 3.5x works very well day or night. The range will be dependent on moon light or added IR light to give extended range out to 200yds no problem. The built in IR is good for 80yds conservative rating, from playing with one. Hunt tx Hogs has several you tube videos to show what the unit does. Getting what is on the market now gets you in the game, you can always sell it and move up, or leave it on a rifle and get something else for another rifle
laugh.gif

I'm not really impressed with the 5x for daytime. It seems really hard to focus and is very grainy. Much much better at night. Although I haven't played with it much in daylight and may have it set wrong. I did zero during daylight and at 50 yds I could barley make out a 1" black dot. I wouldnt use it in daylight hours.

Corn Fed,

Just curious about the trajectory with the Photon. It appears to sit much lower to the bore than most dedicated NV scopes, so I'm wondering if you have any trajectory issues.

I have to say that I took it out this eve in daylight and it worked well. I have to retract that "I wouldn't use it in daylight". I would use it and could definitely put critters on the ground wherever I 5x mag would allow. I haven't shot it enough to notice trajectory problems. I'm shooting an AR and have a 3/4" riser with low profile rings and it seems like there wont be an issue.

Corn Fed,

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind. Just trying to get a good assessment of the Photon.

(1) How is the field of view on the 5x vs. the 3x. I'm sure the 3x is wider, but is the 5x good enough for most calling situations?

When calling, I generally set my day time scope to something like 5x. That seems to fit me just fine. I know a lot of guys say to set your scope on the lowest setting, but I personally like just a bit more than 3x.

(2) Up to what distance do you think the 5x will work well at night with a good illuminator? Is it bright and clear up to 200 yards? Is it grainy at night or pretty clear?

Thanks.

Hunt TXhogs has great youtubes reviews on the Photon and Pulsar N550, N750, etc.

I've asked him about the Photon and Pulsar N750, and he replied with his thoughts.

Great guy and the videos would answer 90% of the questions.

This video is the Photon with the onboard illuminator vs Armasight IR810, Streamlight Tac IR, TorchPro, and UNV 20IR

The 20ir is definitely a great illuminator for this scope. I seem to get a lot more IR feedback than is shown in the video. Especially if I setup on a cut cornfield edge. Just have to be carefull where you setup. I'm use to setting low in a alps chair. Prolly gonna have to retire it to day hunts a grab a taller chair.

Last edited:
Back