So Why did it take 2 Round to kill this hog?

Rudi

z5CDdX2.jpg

This is only the second hog I ever Killed... So my Hog anatomy isn't perfect...

The lower shot was the first shot... I took it as a quartering too shot... My 15 degrees off of a per broadsided. I thought that would have been a good lung shot.... Using a 30-6 with 165gr SST's at 70 yards. I thought it would be a lights out sort of deal with maybe a 30 -40 yard death rush, but instead he takes off a good 200 yards where we chase him down and he turns to charge us, which is when I gave him a second does of 165gr thunder punch into presumably the spine because he didn't twitch after I took that second shot!

Pardon the dorky face... I'm mid belly laugh

So my question is, Was my first shot a bad one? or Are hogs just that tuff? Prepping up for an upcoming hunt and want some of your input... (I know the behind the ear shot will do the trick... I just thought the 06 would have enough punch to take one down in one to the lungs...)

Last edited:
I shoot a lot of hogs.almost every one runs unless its a neck shot.they are tough as nails and built like a tank. There anatomy is different than a deer the vitals are pushed farther forward in the chest.there heart is almost between there elbows.

My buddy double lunged one in December with his .44 Ruger carbine. Not low or back, and it ran 350+ yards. They are tough critters.

Google hog anatomy to see exactly where the vitals are. As said, they are low and forward. Head and neck shots are about the only way to anchor where it stands.

So when you skinned the critter out, assuming you might have, where did the first shot go?

Reason I ask, the shot you suggest, quartering to at 15 degrees, places the "shield" a thick growth of gristle that covers the shoulder of wild boar boars, and the shoulder blade at such an angle that it might help to deflect the round. The fact that he stopped and charged at 200 yards, tells me he was hit pretty good to stop. But not necessarily a killing lung shot, if he charged.

Otherwise... yeah they are that tough!

I did not clean this bad boy... He stank so bad we could hardly stand to be around him... The other two did get cleaned. The exit wound looks like I caught one lung, Nicked the other one, and turned his liver to soup, Most of the blood coming from the exit wound was Dark liver blood, The entrance had some pink lung blood...

He turned to charge (so the guide said)... He never actually got to charge because my second round floored him

Last edited:
They are TUFF. In January I had a 125# boar run by while the dogs were on another hog . After three 10mm rounds at 50 to 35 yds as he came by at an angle I decided I needed glasses or something and quit shooting. He made 50 more yds, stopped, squealed and dropped! All three rounds were passthroughs in the thorax, one a little far back but still a lung shot. He never broke stride or showed any signs of being hit.
Congrats on a nice one!

I think a part of hogs reputation for being tough is people don't know where the vitals are. The pic above is really good. Also, hitting the heart is about impossible, you are going to take a lung shot. Lung shots on many animals are not bang flop. Takes a minute for them to fill with blood and the animal to suffocate.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I think a part of hogs reputation for being tough is people don't know where the vitals are. The pic above is really good. Also, hitting the heart is about impossible, you are going to take a lung shot. Lung shots on many animals are not bang flop. Takes a minute for them to fill with blood and the animal to suffocate.

Why is hitting the heart nearly impossible?

Back