Best ways to attract MORE hogs?

Predator257Roy

I just got on a lease in South Georgia in Burke County. There are quite a few hogs on the propery. What can I do if anything to attract more hogs? There are feeders on the property, corn and protein (intended for the deer) but the hogs of course will eat it. I thoought that when I hunted I would mix up a fermented corn mash a week or two in advance and add some grape kool aid or cherry jello to it as I've heard they like that. I was told to dump out a few quarts of used motor oil in a hole and it would attract the hogs to it and they would turn it in to a big wallow....anyone ever hear of that? Is there anything else I can do that will attract hogs and bring more and more hogs into my area?

The motor oil trick works but mainly during spring and summer when the bugs are out. I don't think the EPA takes too kindly to dumping motor oil on the ground, though, so I wrap a tree with burlap and pour the oil onto it. Burnt motor oil is best.

Originally Posted By: KizmoThe motor oil trick works but mainly during spring and summer when the bugs are out. I don't think the EPA takes too kindly to dumping motor oil on the ground, though, so I wrap a tree with burlap and pour the oil onto it. Burnt motor oil is best.

Not sure I would want to use burnt motor oil if you plan to clean and eat the hogs. There is a product called "Black Gold" that is supposed to work well for rub poles.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productsList&iCategory=16

http://www.inheatscents.net/blackgold.html

I have been using Pig Out with good results. I get mine at Bass Pro for around $10 a gallon and a gallon goes a long way if you mix it with some corn in a 5 gallon bucket. I have read that Raspberry Kool Aide works well too. Dig a 2 to 3 foot hole with post hole diggers for your corn and it will keep the deer and turkeys from eating it. It will also last longer on the plot if the hogs have to dig for it.

You can see the hind legs of this sow in the hole she was rooting in. She was 1 of 4 I killed when this small sounder came in.

uUEu4fG.jpg

Last edited:
If you like deer, you don't want more hogs in your area. The more hogs, the fewer deer. Deer don't like to come into areas that are dominated by hogs. They will give way to the hogs every time. I work with a lot of properties who wish they could get rid of the hogs because when they show up in force, they stop seeing deer.

In fact, a majority of them put up fences around their feeders to keep the hogs out. The deer can jump over, but the not the hogs.

The lease has deer, but so do I at the house. I'm wanting the hogs! The lease seemed like the best way to that. I don't need someone at an outfitter to hold my hand, or pay big money to hunt. Maybe it will open up other places for me that are just wanting to get rid of hogs. I'm going to try sour mash, kool aid, jello, corn, distillers grains and whatever else I can. Call me optimistic, but I'm worried on being too successfull and shooting too many or running them off....can that happen? Thanks for the input guys. Since I got on the lease, hunting hogs and building a feeder are two are the only things I'm thinking of. Hopefully will be killin and eatin some piggy soon!

Back