Counterfeit...

GC

I almost bought a Sebenza yesterday. My son and I are shooting as a team in a bow league sponsored by a local gun/bow shop. After shooting we were eyeballing the gear in the case and I spotted a Sebenza in the case. The owner had taken it on trade and had a really attractive price on it. The knife looked new and had all the gear paperwork ect. The price was right and I was going to buy it right then.

Except... The thumb stud wasn't anodized blue and was in place with a torx screw instead of pinned. The blade steel wasn't marked S35VN, S30V or BG42. The more I looked it over the more uneasy I became about it. After getting home I looked at the Chris Reeves website and there is a heading at the top titled "Counterfeit." I'll be danged one of the very first pictures of fake Sebenza's is the very knife in the gun shop. They seem to be selling on the Net for about $50.00. The shop owner isn't gonna like seeing this...

See counterfeit knives all the time. Just like anything else, anything good/valuable gets copied or counterfeited or both.

I have a Sebenza "knockoff" or 2. Not counterfeits. They are highly popular and sell well. Real well. Even to those who buy real Sebenzas. Hard to beat for the price, really.......

Problem is the shop owner thinks it is real. He has it priced at $175.00. Excellent price on a real Sebenza, I wouldn't pay that for a knock off.

Originally Posted By: GCProblem is the shop owner thinks it is real. He has it priced at $175.00. Excellent price on a real Sebenza, I wouldn't pay that for a knock off.

I would just keep it to myself then ... what he don't know won't hurt him

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyOriginally Posted By: GCProblem is the shop owner thinks it is real. He has it priced at $175.00. Excellent price on a real Sebenza, I wouldn't pay that for a knock off.

I disagree Ricky, it should eventually harm him when the truth is discovered. The bigger issue is the folks that may get taken in the meantime.

That's a bummer Gary, I wouldn't pay that for a knockoff either, but who knows how many will.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyOriginally Posted By: GCProblem is the shop owner thinks it is real. He has it priced at $175.00. Excellent price on a real Sebenza, I wouldn't pay that for a knock off.

So he can sell some unknowing person a knife for $175.00 as a real CRK? Then when they find out it is a fake, how are they gonna feel about him and the shop? It would certainly be trouble for everyone I think.

I don't know. I just don't like getting in the middle of these kind of things.

What if he does know? He'd never admit to it anyway. You never know.

I would know if he doesn't drop the price and quit advertising it as a genuine CRK. And in that case he would know I knew what was up. Like Brian says, if someone buys it with full disclosure then nobody has anything to complain about.

If he's advertising it as 'real' and it's later determined to be a fake, he's setting himself up for a Small Claims suit...I don't think any legitimate business owner wants that...Doing a person a favor is never wrong, it the intentions are good...and as Gary's sig line states, Right is always Right..

I would let him know what you've found on the website and let him make his own evaluation and decisions about the item...At least you will know where he stands as a business person for future dealings...

Several years ago, when we were in Egypt, I bought my wife a really nice gold chain and pendant of 20k Egyptian gold...She had some problem with the pendant and took it to a local jeweler in my home town for repair..When we went to pick up the item, the chain had 'mysteriously' disappeared out of their safe and while they claimed ignorance as to how (only two had the combination), and were willing to replace it with a 14k chain of similar design, I will never do business with them again, for any reason...And, I have no problem relating the story to anyone that indicates an inclination to do so...

Back