Calling All Coon Callers

3ds

Struggling with coons? I have a Fury with a limited amount of coon calls on it, which can be changed. Question is which sound or sounds seem to be the best to get the peekers out.Coon distress seems to always bring them to the hole and sometimes brings them out for a clean shot. But a lot of peekers that just won't commit. Coon fight can make them look but seems to aggressive for the average coon. Twittering about the same actually rarely gets there attention. So with all that being said what sounds seem hard for them to resist regardless of there age.May the baby sounds? Thanks in advance. Just getting sick of seeing all these coon I can't shoot clean.

If you can see them, they are probably seeing you and your set-up. Try setting your caller and yourself on the opposite side of the tree so they have to come all the way out to see what's going on.

We start with coon distress either single or pair of coons. Then , I will go to ,on my FoxPro , one with twittering babies and boar coon combination , then to boar coon duo . We place the caller behind the tree/hole and get behind a tree and watch....if they peek and not come out , we switch sounds and watch to see how the coon reacts. If it just goes back down out of sight ,we go back to the sound it first showed it self to. Then to a sound it has not heard yet. If it shows activity , we stay with the sounds that tripped its trigger. Usually the sound that made it retreat will do the same each time it is tried with this coon. Going back and forth between the sounds that make it the most active, you will have the best chance to have it leave its hole. We have also tried using two callers at the same time and this can be very effective as well as one call farther away running low volume and they come out to look into the distance for the "fight" that has left the bottom of their tree to go farther away. Turn one caller off and the other one , back and forth and mix them up. Once in a while you will get a stubborn one to come out. Peekers are frustrating for sure .We still have to use our FoxPro decoy to see if that helps. Many times with multiple coons in same hole coon #2 is looking at one of its friends that has come out and got shot and is laying at the base of the tree and still moving. This never seems to stop the next one from coming out if it feels like it.

Setting the caller on the opposite side of he hole has worked the best for me. But some trees have mutliple holes. I use my decoy as much as possible for more realism. I usually start off with the coon fight. I do not know why, but the coons alot of the times will leave the tree to get away from the sound. I would think that they would sick to their homes. I just shoot them when they are coming down the tree. I have found the later it gets in the season, the more peekers you will get. I am going to have to try the dual callers. That seems like it would peek their interest to come out of the hole completely...

From what I can figure, the fight sounds and distress is something common in their lives. In the summer you hear the old females fighting as they run into each other at night all the time. When they are in a tree and hear a fight , I think they figure an old boar coon or predator is there and could soon be coming up their tree to point their wrath on them and they are cornered so they bail out to find safer digs. They will leave the bottom of a huge hollow tree to go up into a hollow limb time and time again. I guess they feel safer squeezed into this area rather than an open hollow tree trunk. We have heard them climbing around in trees while we are standing outside the tree . Seems every coon takes the sounds in different ways . Some shake their heads like they are trying to wake up and some are just shaking violently either from fear or anger. Jim

All the above is good sound advice but I have found some just are not going to come out they have seen you or they have had their butts whooped before. I will be honest I have changed my approach. I no longer call to just one or two trees. I have began killing more coming in from a long distance due to letting young coon distress run for 8 to 10 minutes. I have no idea from how far they are coming in from. The Young Coon distress is appealing to other young coons and the older sows who think their babies are in trouble. I am now using the Minaska Brawling Bandits for my fight sound. I have noticed though with the Brawling Bandits sound that they are leaving so get them coming down the tree. I hunt a lot by myself and one of the problems with them coming in from a distance is many times there is more than one coming so I have educated a few as after I kill one the other turns and leaves.

For me it is all daytime. It is illegal here in Missouri. Would love to try it at night
thumbup1.gif

[img:center]
Dec30coons_zpscee149df.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Nice pic! If you 're doing it during the day and don't want the coon to spot you, what are you using for cover ? How far away do you usually set up? Do you generally set up at old tree groves and use your call to try and pull a few out? I've only shot coon as they pass thru the yard or whatever, and have known some guys that hunt with dogs, but I've never done it. Sounds like fun...

Really appreciate the replies guys.Some of these ideas or approaches I have tried and some I haven't, but are going to try some of your ideas next fall, probably sooner minus the gun seasons is over here. Pretty sure the coons won't remember,but I will. Keep the ideas coming kinda opens up a can of worms at times, but that's what keeps it interesting. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: PabstblueNice pic! If you 're doing it during the day and don't want the coon to spot you, what are you using for cover ? How far away do you usually set up? Do you generally set up at old tree groves and use your call to try and pull a few out? I've only shot coon as they pass thru the yard or whatever, and have known some guys that hunt with dogs, but I've never done it. Sounds like fun...
I wear carhart bibs and a camo coat and set up next to a tree using it as a rest. I use a Remington 597 22 Mag. I like to find two or three good looking dens in a 30 yard radius where I can get a shot if one comes out of those trees, I watch those trees and try to watch the ground as well, I have had coons come right by me I have had one lunge and growl at me when I swung to shoot, I have been watching one coming in from my right shoot it and look back at the call and have another grabbing my decoy, it is a rush.
Nov272013Coons_zps0b216109.jpg
[/img]

We can only do this during the daytime in Iowa unless you can do it on the snow and moonlight (we would like to try this sometime). You only get about one chance a year to call any certain tree....they either come out or not and days or weeks doesn't seem to change your outcome . Jim

Originally Posted By: spiderman We can only do this during the daytime in Iowa unless you can do it on the snow and moonlight (we would like to try this sometime). You only get about one chance a year to call any certain tree....they either come out or not and days or weeks doesn't seem to change your outcome . Jim
So true, I have went back two or three weeks later and have a peeker out the same hole same tree and it is not budging. Two years ago I shot one and another was coming in behind it I was using a 22 LR and shot it as it was leaving could not get a follow up shot, trailed the blood trail to a big den 60 yards away, went back last year set up on that den and out came two BIG coons got them both. When I skinned them one had a huge hunk out of the back ham and the fur had a scar on the inside. Went back this year and killed another out of it. I have now killed coons out of the same tree for the last three years at four different trees I only call them once a year. I have tried the snow and moon light but with just one person it is pretty hard had four or five running in and only got 1
mad.gif

i have had great luck with the brawling bandits sound and then switch to young coon in distress if its just a peeker and then work the volume up and a decoy really helps to get their attention

That coon on the far right is a pretty big coon. Nice shootin.

Originally Posted By: tank76
I wear carhart bibs and a camo coat and set up next to a tree using it as a rest. I use a Remington 597 22 Mag. I like to find two or three good looking dens in a 30 yard radius where I can get a shot if one comes out of those trees, I watch those trees and try to watch the ground as well, I have had coons come right by me I have had one lunge and growl at me when I swung to shoot, I have been watching one coming in from my right shoot it and look back at the call and have another grabbing my decoy, it is a rush.
Nov272013Coons_zps0b216109.jpg
[/img]

Back