..............WIND DRIFT ---- VS ---- CALIBERS..............

Originally Posted By: dan brothersIf I were a teacher, the MAIN thing I would demand my class to know... is the charts.

They better know their rifle, and how the BC of that rifle's favorite bullet is effected by wind... and at different ranges.

Once they learn and re-learn, the charts in the classroom...then it's range time.

The wind flags WOULD come into play... because they can't learn what wind looks like in a classroom... they have to see it, and the flags will show them what the wind looks like at different ranges. Once they see the wind in the flags... then they would learn to see it in the grass... mirages... etc, etc... until they could visualize the wind with a quicker glance... because they would know that some shots will be quicker than others.

So... there would be three parts to my school...

The Classroom.... a place to learn with understand in the mind.

The Range.... a place to practice what you learned.

The Fields... the place to prove what you learned and practiced...

AND... to develop skills above and beyond the charts to where it becomes natural...second nature.

AND... to develop two types of shots at long ranges....

calculated shots when time is available... and... when it's NOT.

That's about the best reply I have read on this post.Dan the charts are accurate the problem most people have with the charts is the information they plug into them if it isn't accurate the chart wont be accurate.Wind drift is the ONLY varable that isn't set in stone,thats why you see big game hunters going to the largest b.c. bullets they can find the new trend is .375 bullets for long range hunting, long range is 1000 yards plus. Everybody can determine b.c. for their bullet at their fps at their location it's pretty easy, a accurate chronograph is all that is needed sight your gun in @ 100 then shoot it at 500 ,20 shots and measure the drop then calculate from there, the more accurate your measurements are the more accurate you b.c. will be.The higher b.c. bullets help in guessing the wind a lot a bullet with a bc of .350 will drift of twice as much as a bullet with a bc of .700 its a lot easier to hold of for 20 inches than it is for 40 inches .when you start getting into the long pointy bullets like the vld bergers you need to switch from the g1 b.c. to the g7 b.c. chart it is a more accurate measurement.like you said once you know your charts then its time to go afield and put them to use I guarantee you will score more hits than the guy who just picks up the gun and goes without any knowledge of what the gun and load should be doing

Thanks BTH.... I don't understand this statement of yours below, because I think I must have the G1 and G7 backwards in my mind. I must not fully understand the difference between the two. Got anymore insight about them...?

when you start getting into the long pointy bullets like the vld bergers you need to switch from the g1 b.c. to the g7 b.c. chart it is a more accurate measurement

I did some more reading on them, and now understand the difference better...thanks...Dan

Last edited:
Dan--you oughtta' get Bryan Litz' book, "Applied Ballistics For LR Shooting". It really helped me learn more about the idiosyncracies of LR shooting in layman's terms mostly. Great read I thought. Another one I liked a lot was Dean Michaelis book-- "The 50-Caliber Sniper Course". Lots of good info in that one too I thought.

The Litz book is worth having. Have not read the other one.

I got a 22-243AI going with 80gr amax bullets. Went out Saturday morning and shot 5 coyotes with it out to 340 yards. I've been smilin all week. Hope to smoke a few more come Satuday in a contest I'm hunting.

Oh since I know you will want to know Dan, I stopped at 3440MV. It started trying to throw them in the same hole and my spread was only 7 FPS over 5 shots. The group held 1/2MOA at 500 yards.

Yall stay after them
Kelly

Originally Posted By: CAT DADDY COLDThe Litz book is worth having. Have not read the other one.

I got a 22-243AI going with 80gr amax bullets. Went out Saturday morning and shot 5 coyotes with it out to 340 yards. I've been smilin all week. Hope to smoke a few more come Satuday in a contest I'm hunting.

Oh since I know you will want to know Dan, I stopped at 3440MV. It started trying to throw them in the same hole and my spread was only 7 FPS over 5 shots. The group held 1/2MOA at 500 yards.

Yall stay after them
Kelly

Whoa Nelly!!! What twist?

Got the Litz book for Christmas very good read.

Last edited:
It sounds like I need to get my hands on that book. I hope it's not over my head... Heck... sometimes I think the phone book is over my head... white pages... yellow pages... Man O Man.. I can only think of one thing at a time.
tt1.gif

I'll get it and have my wife read it to me...
scared.gif

Kelly is shooting a Brux 8 twist barrel on that rifle... it's the same thing he is doing with my build.

Great shooting Kelly... make mine the same.
thumbup.gif

Thanks Guys for the heads up on the book.

Man that's quite a shooter he has there--1/2 MOA at 500. I'm also shooting the 80 A-Max out of this 16" McGowen-barrelled Savage Super Striker 22-250, and it has performed just great out to 500-600. The .45 BC holds very close to the ballistics programs predictions out to 600 using a G1 BC, but honestly I can't call windage consistently past 400 yds. if there's any significant wind blowing anyway--especially not for what's required in field conditions trying to hit a 6" target (coyote) on the 1st shot every time.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteMan that's quite a shooter he has there--1/2 MOA at 500. I'm also shooting the 80 A-Max out of this 16" McGowen-barrelled Savage Super Striker 22-250, and it has performed just great out to 500-600. The .45 BC holds very close to the ballistics programs predictions out to 600 using a G1 BC, but honestly I can't call windage consistently past 400 yds. if there's any significant wind blowing anyway--especially not for what's required in field conditions trying to hit a 6" target (coyote) on the 1st shot every time.

What scope you have on that thing? I have a XP 22-250 that I want to do something different with.

That's a 3.5-15 Nightforce, but IMO it's too big and heavy for this type of gun. And shooting the 80's it would be better if it had a muzzle break even with that big barrel. Had a buddy get scope-eyed with it once when he wasn't thinking. That rig does shoot though.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteThat's a 3.5-15 Nightforce, but IMO it's too big and heavy for this type of gun. And shooting the 80's it would be better if it had a muzzle break even with that big barrel. Had a buddy get scope-eyed with it once when he wasn't thinking. That rig does shoot though.

Thanks! Guess I don't need anything banging me in the head. Already a little goofy don't need any more head trauma!!!

One of my friends gave me that book for Christmas i did not realize it cost that much.... I better go put it in the gun safe.
thumbup.gif

someone should start a thread on the highlights and tips of this book.

That would get everyone reading it, and it would round up some very good and helpful information for everyone.

Back