New IR Illuminator really perfomed well for us over the weekend

family guy

My partner and I entered a calling contest over the weekend. The conditions were hard to say the least with wind speeds in the 15-35 mph during the days and night time lows between 8 above and 8 below zero. The wind did die down a couple of night for 5-6 hours allowing use a chance to call. We ended up shooting 14 at night and two during the day giving us a second place finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a D-760 with Pinnacle tube and my partner uses a Pulsar Phantom with a pinnacle tube.

Here is a picture comparing size of IR's

I had to order mine from South Africa took about 15 day's to get. Worth the wait.

Last edited:
That is some great shooting under difficult global warming conditions, and quite a nice line up of frozen dogs!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThat is some great shooting under difficult global warming conditions, and quite a nice line up of frozen dogs!
I'm thankful for global warming and Gen3 scopes

Is this the illuminator 6mm06 introduced a while back? He posted a link, and for some reason members could open the link. He said it was super bright, super long range.

family guy,
I believe there is another calling contest coming up in February. Call Rigler's in Rock Falls for more info if you're interested.

Looks to me like this should have been first place !!! How the heck many did first place get? Only problem I see with the IR devices is that they probably do not meet the "eye safe" restrictions imposed by the FDA for sale in the US. It probably won't take them long to shut down this website so anyone looking to pick one up better do it fast. Kevin

Originally Posted By: family guyI use a D-760 with Pinnacle tube and my partner uses a Pulsar Phantom with a pinnacle tube.

Here is a picture comparing size of IR's

I had to order mine from South Africa took about 15 day's to get. Worth the wait.
I see now there is a US outlet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-LIGHT-TECHLA...=item35d1382c78

Congrats on the dogs! Wow thats a few..Last coyote contest out here,5 dogs won it..
As for the "techlab" light..Don't get me wrong this is a kick [beeep] light,but I laugh because that's just an overpriced rip off of Ian's T20 IR..Ian sells them for way cheaper,and quite frankly pretty much everything to do with the assembly and parts came from him and the guys over at nightvisionforumuk.com
These guys know their lights,and will back it..6mm06 will attest to that.
Here is a rolaids video of an IR test with a few of Ian's lights:

Not trying to shill,just letting those interested get the skinny and also save some $$.

Last edited:
Watched that Rolaids video, interesting...
So it looked like the 840 nm has a brighter beam and can illuminate targets further out than the 940 nm. Is this true? Does one have a red glow that can be picked up by the human eye and the other one does not?

Originally Posted By: DarknightWatched that Rolaids video, interesting...
So it looked like the 840 nm has a brighter beam and can illuminate targets further out than the 940 nm. Is this true? Does one have a red glow that can be picked up by the human eye and the other one does not?

The 940nm gives about 50%-60% throw of a 850nm. The 850nm has the same intensity red glow as the Tv shows when you press the remote control. The 940nm has less of a glow,but still a faint visible glow.
Not trying to hijack the OP's thread and one great weekend he had.PM me if you need more info on Ian's lights.

Last edited:
It was a three day contest, but we did not hunt on Sunday as the wind was 20+ again. It was also a four man team contest but you could hunt separate. My usual calling partner and I each brought in 8 coyotes for a total of 16 our other team mates brought stories of the one's that got away. First place had 21 coyotes that they shot by doing drives.

The IR is a led like the TorchPro ect so no need to worry about it being band.

Many people use that style body as the basis for their lights, I've done it my self but lacking the specialized tools needed to properly center and space the led mine did not focus well at distance.

I've learned a lot about NV here and wanted to share a product that was working well for me after a month of use. The $180 is cheaper than other IR's I have bought TorchPro $239, SPIR $600, DBAL $1500, Luna laser $400, Night Optics k-2 $200. I've also tried a ATN, Eagle Tac, several ebay Chinese IR's, and even a lightforce 170 with IR cover. The LLTL-001 out preforms them ALL. When I get a new IR I put as many as I can on the gun and head out my range and look at tree leaves and branches at 200 yards. I'm looking for clarity and definition.

I've gotten a lot of PM's about equipment used.

We both use a FoxPro K-2 caller but I stay away from Foxpro's sounds as they are used by too many other hunters.

I use a AR-15 that I built myself poly lower, pencil barrel, AP carbon handguard, Timeney 3lb trigger.
Scope is a Night optics D-760 Handselect with BulzEyePro optics booster http://www.bulzeyepro.com/hunting-boosters.php

I would not want to leave home without a Helmet mounted PVS-14. I had problems with the mount bumping into the scope when shooting so I changed the way it mounts to the helmet.
Team Wendy Helmet, Norotos INVG Mount, Night Optics PVS-14, Eagle Tac IR

For counter weight I use batteries and a 10 round AR mag

Insight MTM thermal with 3x optical magnifier

[/quote]
we did not hunt on Sunday as the wind was 20+ again. It was also a four man team contest but you could hunt separate. My usual calling partner and I each brought in 8 coyotes for a total of 16 our other team mates brought stories of the one's that got away. First place had 21 coyotes that they shot by doing drives.

Many people use that style body as the basis for their lights, I've done it my self but lacking the specialized tools needed to properly center and space the led mine did not focus well at distance.

I've learned a lot about NV here and wanted to share a product that was working well for me after a month of use. The $180 is cheaper than other IR's I have bought TorchPro $239, SPIR $600, DBAL $1500, Luna laser $400, Night Optics k-2 $200. I've also tried a ATN, Eagle Tac, several ebay Chinese IR's, and even a lightforce 170 with IR cover. The LLTL-001 out preforms them ALL. When I get a new IR I put as many as I can on the gun and head out my range and look at tree leaves and branches at 200 yards. I'm looking for clarity and definition. The LLTL currently is in a class by itself.

[/quote]

Really digging the setup,and its also PROVEN..Gets me all jacked to go and set my wallet in flames for more gear!
scared.gif

No man,I'm not discounting the fact that the LLTL-001 is a class smoker in and of itself,and in our US market it is still cheap..My light from Ian cost me £47 for theT20ir 850nm,£6,50 for tail switch, £7 for Postage.(Roughly $100 TYD)
Sure made me humble and a little irritated after I spent almost $400 for my ELIR-3.
The price gouge is one thing with the LLTL-001.That's the call of the buyer how they see fit.Its the undermining of the company that is the rub.
Dunno,maybe we should be telling Ian to raise his prices!
I not trying to sell anyone on anything,However I would encourage everyone to do their research before they burn their hard earned $$,because for me it doesn't grow on trees!
Again congrats on the success, and jealous over the gear
tt1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: family guyIt was a three day contest, but we did not hunt on Sunday as the wind was 20+ again. It was also a four man team contest but you could hunt separate. My usual calling partner and I each brought in 8 coyotes for a total of 16 our other team mates brought stories of the one's that got away. First place had 21 coyotes that they shot by doing drives.

I've learned a lot about NV here and wanted to share a product that was working well for me after a month of use. The $180 is cheaper than other IR's I have bought TorchPro $239, SPIR $600, DBAL $1500, Luna laser $400, Night Optics k-2 $200. I've also tried a ATN, Eagle Tac, several ebay Chinese IR's, and even a lightforce 170 with IR cover. The LLTL-001 out preforms them ALL. When I get a new IR I put as many as I can on the gun and head out my range and look at tree leaves and branches at 200 yards. I'm looking for clarity and definition. The LLTL currently is in a class by itself.

Hey Jon, can you describe how tight and crisp the LLTL focuses the beam down? Does it collumate into a tight beam like the IRK2 ELR Pro or does it leave some excess halo around the edges? I have tested a few IR devices over the years some of which are declared "the best" but I typically find they don't work well in all conditions. For example, I purchased an Eagle Tac that received some rave reviews about a year ago on PM. I found that it worked as good, maybe better that the IRK2 ELR Pros did that I use on my HTRN SS Scopes. Unfortunately the Eagle Tac did not collumate the beam very well and when I took it hunting in the snow the excess halo basically shut down (washed out) my NV unit making it virtually impossible to use with the IR on. Also, most of these units do not have windage and elevation adjustments on them nor do they come with weapons mountable hardware. I most certainly would like to find something of better quality than these Russian made units I use but I can't find anything that is weapons mountable, elevation/windage adjustable, and tightly collumates the beam. Anyone know of a picatinny style mount for these IR lights (that don't have mounts with them) that can be adjustable (windage & elevation)? Kevin

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnIs this the illuminator 6mm06 introduced a while back? He posted a link, and for some reason members could open the link. He said it was super bright, super long range.

Yes, this is the light I mentioned earlier and posted the link to. I did a test of the Eagle Tac T100C2 (3.4 watt model) against the LLTL-001.

Here is the test.

Currently the only comparisons I have done involve the IR-K2, the Pulsar 808, the Eagle Tac
and the LLTL-001. The Light Tec Lab light works better for my Gen 1 scope than any of the
others. The Eagle Tac and the LLTL-001 were the best of the four, but the LLTL-001 wins by a
slight margin. With the home-made outfit the LLTL-001 is far better than the Eagle Tac.
I didn't test the other two lights with the home-made outfit, so I don't know how they might
work with that.

I know that most of you guys have quality Gen 3 scopes. I have a feeling that various lights will
perform differently from one scope to another. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, a Gen 1 and a
home-made version is all I have to go by, so that's what I tested the lights with.

As to super long range, I can't respond to that since I haven't tested it past 100 yards,
but at the 94 yard range in the test, you can clearly see the difference.

In my opinion, it's a good light for the money. As to how the T2 compares, I don't know.

Kevin
The LLTL does focus tightly with just a small amount of spill ( more spill than the IRK2 & SPIR but less than a TorchPro)

For the HTRN setup I prefer a EagleTac or K2 for scanning and leave the LLTL on the gun for shooting at longer ranges. I like the new vertical adjustment you have added to your Jackrabbit mount.

If you look at the Eagle Tac on my Helmet you'll see it is in a Burris Signature Scope ring. This gives me about 10 degrees of adjustment in aiming the light.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548661...=ProductFinding

At the end of the video he showed several adjustable mounts for lights, maybe someone can posta link

Back