Any IOWA wardens??

howler55

Using buckshot on yotes, on public land? Anyone else ever get a fine for using toxic shot?? Just curious to what ur using instead of buckshot, thats non-toxic?

We don't have any non-tox only areas in where I hunt, but I know there are a few areas that are non-tox specific and lead buck would not be allowed. What areas are you hunting? I remember when we used to go up to northern Iowa to duck hunt that a lot of the WPA areas were non-tox only, and here and there certain county areas have been made that way. Most of them are posted pretty well if they are.

For those areas I'd use Hevi-shot of some variety if I was hunting them with a shotgun.

Last edited:
Live in northern iowa(lake mills) and all the public is non-toxic only. Just wasnt sure if non lead would penetrate enough. Theyre hard enough to call around here anyways, dont want the [beeep] thing running for miles cause i was using steel instead of buck. I know during pheasant season all u can do is pepper their asses as theyre running away

I have used steel shot on coyotes and it works fine on them.your range will be about ten yards less.You also have a lot more pellets in steel shotshells.A 1 1/4 ounce load of lead has a lot less shot than a 1 1/4 ounce load of steel shot.You have less downrange velocity with steel shot which is why your kill range will be shorter.

They sell 00 buck nontoxic for training LEO. Not ideal for coyotes but at 30 or less with a full choke I think it would .

Originally Posted By: will heuettI have used steel shot on coyotes and it works fine on them.your range will be about ten yards less.You also have a lot more pellets in steel shotshells.A 1 1/4 ounce load of lead has a lot less shot than a 1 1/4 ounce load of steel shot.You have less downrange velocity with steel shot which is why your kill range will be shorter.

With steel shot you have less velocity downrange, mass, energy and penetration. That is why it sucks.

Back