Northeastern NM state land access.

j_valdez

I was calling this morning and well within state land when I heard a truck heading in my area. The ranch truck came over a rise flipped a U turn and drove back pout of the area of where I was calling. The way this rancher was driving in the tall grass could have got someone hurt.

I then headed back to my car and once there I loaded all my gear. I looked at his track and it started right behind my vehicle where he entered to go out to where I was calling.

A few minutes later the truck then pulled up to my vehicle and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was coyote calling and he told me I thought they took care of that when they were having problems down south. ( I think He was referring to the issue some were having with coyote hunting tournaments) He then drove off and told me he would be checking on that.

Is anyone else having problems here in NM with hunting state land lately?

State land only has to be open for game animals. As far as coyotes they are a non game animal and the person leasing the property does not have to allow access. I am never calling coyotes I am calling lions and just happen to shoot the coyotes by happenstance. They have to allow access during game seasons. Lion season is year round. I always have a lion tag and a trapping tag that allows me access. Most people who lease state land don't care but we have been getting people in my area who have brought property and think they own the state and BLM lands they use. They have been getting educated by those hunters who know the land and the law but it can be a real pain in the behind.

drscott

As drscott points out, you are not technically allowed to hunt only coyotes on state land since they're not a game animal. You are allowed to take unprotected animals incidental to your hunting of protected species. Here's what the regulations say.

Originally Posted By: NM Big Game and Furbearer Rules
If Denied Access
The right to enter State Trust Land is assured if access is available by public road (defined in Section 67-2-1, NMSA 1978) or across other public lands or trails. If denied access, contact the New Mexico State Land Office (above) to provide complete details, including the location, date, time and name(s) of person(s) denying access.
If Allowed Access
If you have been allowed access to State Trust Lands, you may:
• Scout for big game seven days prior to the open season.
• Hunt big game or take protected furbearers, during open hours and seasons.
• Hunt unprotected species on State Trust Lands, but only during the period in which your license is valid for protected species on those lands.
• Camp with the permission of the agricultural lessee, unless otherwise authorized by the Commissioner of Public Lands.
• Take up to three guests per license holder on your hunt.
However you must:
• Have in your possession all required and valid hunting, fishing or trapping licenses which must be available on demand by employees of either the State Land Office or NMDGF.
• Respect other land uses, such as surface or mineral leases.
• Drive only on established roads.
• Close gates.
• Pack out trash.

Some folks are just going to be obstinate, others just need an education. Be polite and have the regulations with you.

Ray Powell, State Land Commissioner has stated that coyote hunting is not allowed on state land. I doubt he can back that up. He was of course quoted saying this during the big stink over the hunting tournaments.

I agree if you are trying to call bobcats or raccoons or another protected species. All you have to do is inform them of that and ask for identification and report them to the State Land Office. You have that right if you are hunting with a valid hunting license that the season is open on.

Originally Posted By: jrnmRay Powell, State Land Commissioner has stated that coyote hunting is not allowed on state land. I doubt he can back that up. He was of course quoted saying this during the big stink over the hunting tournaments.

He can't back it up. It's in black and white in the rule book. The Game and Fish has leased the hunting rights on most state land for protected/game animals. The regulations clearly allow for the hunting of unprotected animals (rabbits, skunks, coyotes) on state land if you're there in pursuit of something with an open season for which you are licensed. That's why I spring for a trapper license. I can then go on state land to call bobcats or fox and shoot coyotes if they respond.

Now, Powell and the State Land Office has authority to regulate commercial activities, which is probably what they consider contests. But for the recreational or fur hunter, coyotes are fair game on state land as long as you follow the rules.

I had my trappers license and I have access to this part of state land as it clearly crosses the roadway. This has been an ongoing problem for years up here.

I purchased a GPS and all downloads to NM state land and it is essential up here to have one. I have seen hunters from other parts of the state and all they bring is a simple map that is not detailed enough. That's just asking for trouble.

Back