Snare question

masshunter

I just read a sad post about a hound killed in a snare. Never could use them in my state, so I have no exp. but I heard, or read, or something about "restraint" snares, or snare stops to limit closing diameter. Am I all wet, or are those things available ? Just wondering.

I posted recently asking about snares and deer. I have read about break away J hooks. And there are ways to deter unwanted catch with placement and jump sticks.

They are available and used where required by law.

But, if I am setting snares for predators and there is no law or other damm good reason for having the stops, I ain't using em. I want an animal, especially a coyote, choked down and dead as quick as possible.

And yeah, I also read the story about the guys dog. A very unfortunate thing to happen. I feel very sorry for the man(and dog). Can't imagine seeing my dog dead in a snare. Be a terrible thing.

Check out the snare shop,endless possibilities. In WI we can only use one type/ with deer stop,break away j hooks, and non locking washer type cinch.

Read all you can about snares....all sources. You can download or view on-line the Ohio Snaring Guide...from www.sullivansline.com

Hal also has I believe the best intro to snaring book available-Snaring 2000....and I do have almost all of the snaring books you can find.

Lots of locks and snare company suppliers out there- Snare Shop; Minnesota Trapline Supply;Rally Hess of MN; Snare One (Newt Sterling of NJ);Dakotaline Snares

Mark

Back