Camo Rifle Sponge Tutorial

Just got done with my wifes 45 compact. This is her v-day present from me. used acrylic kraft paint, worked real good.
2jey59e.jpg

3532jph.jpg

what do you men do to prep the rifle for painting?

which de-greaser?

do you steel wool any exterior parts (stock, barrel, etc.) prior to painting?

i got the actual painting down, but just wondering about the prep.

thanks

I was finally able to get my hands on a new Savage Axis Scoped Package in 22-250, I paid $289. Took it from the Gun store to the Range and had Bulls-eye by the 4th shot as it really was already Bore-Sighted (as Savage claims)and very close out of the box.
The factory trigger-pull however was ridiculous,at 7+lbs it was unacceptable.I started with the trigger spring change mod. which gave me 4 1/2lbs and I finally got the honing stone out and polished some edges till I got a crisp 44 ounce pull.(modified rifle was then subject to numerous safety off-cocked "slam/bump/smack/jar" tests and passed with flying colors.
I started painting with the stock at first and did the rest after I got a Red LED light mounted on the scope.I made a "Halo-Light" shield out of a PVC fitting and used electrical shrink tubing to attach it to the flashlight.The shield really does help and the Red LED gives amazing night vision into the darkness.

Last edited:
Did my Marlin model 60 22LR a while back. I didn't have a sponge handy but had some old carpet laying around. Put kind of a woodland camo base and then filled in the spots with rustoleum camo line of spray paint. Sprayed the paint on a paper plate and dabbed the carpet in it. Going to do my Savage 223 when I get a new scope.

Great tutorial. Im getting ready to do my Ruger American. Hopefully mine will come out like all the guns you guys did they all look great.

Originally Posted By: Timmy gI can't find that sand stone rust oleum. Home Depot says rust o. Doesn't have that color. Can you help clarify?

Thanks,Tim the one i found at home depot is called Khaki not sandstone looks the same to me.

Originally Posted By: Coach512Originally Posted By: Timmy gI can't find that sand stone rust oleum. Home Depot says rust o. Doesn't have that color. Can you help clarify?

Thanks,Tim the one i found at home depot is called Khaki not sandstone looks the same to me.

Ok that's the one I've been using did my 870 and finishing up my ar. I'll post picks soon

Originally Posted By: Timmy gOriginally Posted By: Coach512Originally Posted By: Timmy gI can't find that sand stone rust oleum. Home Depot says rust o. Doesn't have that color. Can you help clarify?

Ok that's the one I've been using did my 870 and finishing up my ar. I'll post picks soon i just did a test job on my pellet gun with a palm fong came out pretty sweet. I might mix in a little sponge

cool thread guys.. i think my gun needs a little color! then again i mostly use it at night.

I thought of making a pattern of animal silhouette... every kill , just add another stamp.. kinda like they used to do on ww2 planes when they got kills...

Originally Posted By: harleybuilderI did this Rem 700 last year and it has held up well. I used pine needles laid over the top and re arranged them in a random pattern between coats.

Looks awesome. I finally started last night. Im torn between sponge and vegitation

Originally Posted By: JohninTXcool thread guys.. i think my gun needs a little color! then again i mostly use it at night.

I thought of making a pattern of animal silhouette... every kill , just add another stamp.. kinda like they used to do on ww2 planes when they got kills...

cool set up.

Back