Z71 vs Rubicon

Should have looked into a ford f250 6.0 diesel. Those things will pull a house, maybe two. And they come stock with manual diff locks. Ours gets about 17 miles a gallon with over 400 horse power

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaOriginally Posted By: yotehunter57 I can't remember for sure how my Z71 is equiped from the factory. I's a 95, that I bought new, but when in 4WD, both rear and front lock in solid. It pulls like a tractor in the mud, but is a booger to turn tight if it's slick.

Shayne

I think the Z71 is the only truck that comes with a Locker on the Axle standard equipment. I have had a lot of Jeeps and was Generally satisfied with everything but the AC, but this new breed has way too much computer crap with no real guts. The Chevrolet has an engine that does seem to pull. The second day I had it, I was forced to pull the Horse Trailer with just one Horse in the Three Horse Trailer but it pulled it fine. I don't like all those auto locking doors but I do like the Thermostat temp control. I bought it for the 4 wheel drive but I hope I never need it. Come Sandbass season that 4 wheel drive will get a test pulling the Mud boat.

You can turn the auto lock door off. there should be a button on the dash that goes through a list of stuff: Horn/lights when you luck/unlock doors, You can set the doors to lock when you remove from park, or after like 15mph and I think there is a third setting. I have all this in my 2009 and lots of other stuff that I don't really need and have never messed with. And yes the chevy dif is supposed to be an electronic locking diff. not a limited slip. Only thing I really don't like is the traction control/stabilitrak, while they are very nice for hwy driving it can be a pain for off-road use. Even when you turn them off, they will still try to control the wheel speed unless you are hammering on the throttle. Not a huge factor for me as this truck is not meant to be baja'ing through that kind of stuff, I have a 93 Toyota dlx for that kind of thing!
thumbup.gif

IIRC the z71 with extended cab short box is rated for something like 10,000lb towing and 1,000lb payload but all the models(crew cab, long box, 4x4, z71, gear ratio, etc.) have slightly different payload and towing limits. do you have the 4spd or 6spd tranny? Do you know what gear ratio it has? This will make a huge difference in the trucks ability to tow. I refuse to buy one without 3:73 gears and locking diffs.

I have the old trusty 4matic in mine, 6spd was available but pretty new at the time and I just didn't want to go that way until they were out for a few years. IIRC the new ones only come in 6spd now. I pull an 18' bumper camper, and while I do run an equalizer hitch, it is not needed for this size trailer. I run it because they take most of the chuck/bounce out of it and I often forget that I have a trailer hooked up. I can easily pull my camper 75mph down the hwy but generally only drive 65 with it and if the wind is 20mph or more I will slow down to 55. Those campers are like a sail and catch a lot of wind so they seem like they are quite a bit heavier than they are. mine is very very good on fuel pulling or not. at 65mph with 10-12mph wind I will still get 9-10mpg. If wind kicks up over 20 I will get around 8 but in more favorable conditions I have gotten as high as 13-14 towing 70mph. empty I will see 19-20mpg and have seen as high as 24mpg at around 65mph. Gotta love active fuel management!

Im hoping to upgrade to a 2014 by spring time, just waiting for the right deal to come around. Best ive seen so far is $5250 cash allowance for prior GM owners.

BTW: poor gas mileage is just a reflection of how you are driving them!!! lay into the throttle every time you take off from a stop and you WILL loose gas mileage. Driving above 60-65mph will also drink more fuel. there is no way around it. When I push mine 75-80 down the highway I will drop down to around 16mpg. But compare that to my '99 5.3l at about 12-13mpg Also, your truck only has 2600 miles on it so it is not broke in yet. I didn't see above 15mpg ever until I hit the 10,000 mile and it was like I flipped a switch for better gas mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOREYI have a wrangler, they are toys. Not roomy, not a lot of power, not much for towing, not much for braking, not good for leisure riding. They are good compact vehicles that can take you where you need to go. Just don't plan on taking much with you and hope it is a short trip. I pull an ATV on a utility trailer behind mine and have had it push me down the road when I had to jump on the brakes. I plan to get something similar to the Z71 this year for more room, comfort, and towing ability. I think the truck was a good choice.

Older thread, but I like the honesty of this ^
I also wonder if daddyflea figured out the door lock function? I have come to like the auto door lock on my newer GM`s..keeps me from getting out before I put it in park
lol.gif

The 2011 Toyota DBL CAB Sport 4x4 is a decent truck, and pulls my boat just fine but I expected better gas mileage. May switch to full size this summer.

You did good I just sold my 1998 Chevy Silverado extra cab Z71 four wheel drive. Bought it new in July of 98. I put 256 K on it over the course of 16 years and the truck is still on it's original motor and trans (Mobil One from day one). Hauled a lot of dead vermin in it over the years it's seen Cal, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Colorado and it has never let us down or stranded us and it just gave Willy and I one last trouble free calling season. It's just time to sell. I have a black 2011 Chevy Silverado HD Duramax/Allison Z71 4X4 crew cab LTZ I bought new in Dec 2010. I've only put a little over 15 K on this one over the last three years. I guess it's time to set it up for night time predator calling. Can't seem to find a shell I like to build my new "portable Blind" out of.

4 wheel drive with limited slip will go further than most anyone is going to push their daily driver. I would get a trd toyota tacoma with locker if I had the money. They can tow 6,500 which is more trailor then I can afford. I would never get a fullsize for offroading. Way too big. I go down many roads that you could never get a fullsize down, let alone turn it around at a dead end or wash out.

Looking where to put the wheels before going down.

going down.

A fullsize on this narrow shelf road in CO would suck a big one.

I have over 30,000 in 4 low and 107,000 on the truck. The roughest places you can't stop for a photo or you will get stuck.

Last edited:
Nice pictures TD660. I have had some very cool 4x4 experiences when I lived in AZ, mostly experience in AZ, but some in SW Colorado.
The old Toy (`01 Dbl Cab) had the E-Locker and I did not care for the fact it only worked in low range..guess it could be overridden with a bobby pin or something, but I`m not one for molesting a electrical system.
Very true about limited slip, and also many trails too narrow for FS rigs.

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210I think the 5.3L is a fine motor for the average load. I have an 02' with 4:10 gears and air bags in the back pulling this load I have no problem going 75 down the freeway. Other than the gas mileage with this load I have no complaints. And by the way this is a 1976 26' trailer that ways in at 6500#'s.
1350579452648_zps31f7e6f0.jpg
75 mph with this setup? Man your asking for trouble! What if you had to make an evasive move, your azz will be in the ditch upside down and wrapped up in a awful mess.

No vehicals come with a locker in the front that aren't on/off type. You wouldn't want a locker in the front for any reason but pure rock climbing/aggressive trails. If youve ever driven a truck with a locked front axle in the mud you will see why instantly. The G80 locker GM uses is not very strong. It will be fine for daily use but I race my silverado and it had to go. They are known for taking out diffs and trans output shafts when they let go. Mine has a Eaton truetrac in it now. If its got a locker in the back it will go anywhere you wanna go that clearance allows. The 5.3's were the hottest engine on the block when they came out. But by todays standards they are a bit under powered compared to my ecoboost and the tundra iForce engines. I think you made a good choice.

The only time I wish I had lockers is mud and really deep sand. I try my best to avoid both though. We have a lot of sand out west but not too much mud.

The dodge power wagon has front and rear E locker. My friend has one and we read the manual but it wouldn't engage the front locker. He took it back to the dealer but I dunno what they said. The manual said you flip the switch and then turn wheels back and fourth which i thought was a little odd. We where pulling a work trailor through deep sand inside a wilderness area to work on water guzzlers. No one had been on the road since 1994.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Yotas are tough. Getting ready to paint my 84'.

That brings back some memories. First truck I had, used to go riding with my buddies and their quads in mine. Had to replace quite a few mirrors doin that.

2005 GMC Sierra SLE extended cab Z71 4X4 Off Road 315 hp 5.3, 3:56 gears, w/Trailer Towing pkg. fully loaded. We'll just more miles than anything mentioned here so far with 80% of them pulling a trailer with two 1500 pound mowers with 3 stihl weedeaters, backpack blowers, shovels, rakes, edgers, etc, etc. Truck would pull the load at 97 (computer shut off at 100) without so much as a hickup. 15 mpg average with trailer fully loaded and 20.6 without. Finally wore out (caught fire).

Replaced it with a 2004 FX4 off road. It will go places my GMC wouldn't. I never feel the trailer behind this truck.

Back