Z-max?

thumbup1.gif
yup yup

Actually I believe that they are different. The V-max uses a match grade jacket formed by a conventional cup and core process. The Z-max jacket is formed by a plating process, so it's less expensive. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerActually I believe that they are different. The V-max uses a match grade jacket formed by a conventional cup and core process. The Z-max jacket is formed by a plating process, so it's less expensive. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong
tt2.gif

Same bullet, different color in the plastic.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223This pic was posted in the last thread and are 7.62x39 123gr bullets.

Those are not manufactured the same. They are of different make up aside from the tips. It's an oranges and apples comparison.

The ZMax and VMax are identical, per Hornady. I personally called them.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223This pic was posted in the last thread and are 7.62x39 123gr bullets.

Those are not manufactured the same. They are of different make up aside from the tips. It's an oranges and apples comparison.

HUH!! So they are the same but then they arent the same?

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223This pic was posted in the last thread and are 7.62x39 123gr bullets.

HUH!! So they are the same but then they arent the same?

Yeap!!! 22cal and a 7.62......

It's like saying a 55 gr VMax is the same as a 50 gr VMax. The pictured are different bullets from the get-go, regardless of tip color.

e1ad09a2.jpg

One has a crimp ring, the other not. One has a FB, the other has a slight BT.

Looking at other pics of Hornady bullets, I suspect the red one is a 123 gr .310 SST and the green is a 123 gr .310 VMax with a green tip. Different bullets.

That same pic comes up every time this topic comes up. They are from different lines. I called Hornady, personally, and they told me that they're the same. I should email their tech's this picture to see what they say.

My theory is supported by the fact the VMax has a wider opening on the nose. (as seen with the green tip) wider, when compared to the SST interlock line (as seen here, with a red tip).

Originally Posted By: pahntr760That same pic comes up every time this topic comes up. They are from different lines. I called Hornady, personally, and they told me that they're the same. I should email their tech's this picture to see what they say.

My theory is supported by the fact the VMax has a wider opening on the nose. (as seen with the green tip) wider, when compared to the SST interlock line (as seen here, with a red tip).

There is no valid comparison, unless you compare a 55 V-Max to a 55 Z-Max, etc... any other comparison is meaningless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: pahntr760That same pic comes up every time this topic comes up. They are from different lines. I called Hornady, personally, and they told me that they're the same. I should email their tech's this picture to see what they say.

There is no valid comparison, unless you come pare a 55 V-Max to a 55 Z-Max, etc... any other comparison is meaningless.

Exactly my point. The two pictured are not a VMax vs a ZMax.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterAlmost as frustrating as 223 vs 5.56......

... but only if you put the Z-Max in the 5.56, and the V-Max in the 223. If you put the Z-Max in the 223 and the V-Max in the 5.56, then you have to change the firing pins out and reverse them, or the bullets will shoot sideways.

tt2.gif

Back