22 mags, usefulness and is yours accurate?

I know what you meen Marco. Was seeing it everywhere then it was just gone! Glad I. Still relatively stocked up. Just been shooting my bulk cci's recently. No luck going squirrel hunting, had to work...

The .22M is one of those you just have to figure out for yourself. Personally I've tried it twice and keep coming up with the same answer.......... If it too big or too far away for a .22lr spitting Velocitors it's time to break out the centerfires. Others on here can attest to my lack of love for the .22M.

I absolutely love the .22 magnum! Of all the varmint calibers I have used over the years, I tend to gravitate back to the .22 WMR. It thumps hard enough to cleanly dispatch every small critter we have in my area, the recoil is nonexistent, ammo prices are fairly low, and it has quite a few bullet options.

Here is my favorite kill with a .22 WMR out of my Single Six this last fall.

[img:center]http://utahwildlife.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19850&d=1380679773[/img]

Bax, I feel the same way! If they came an told me I could have only one rifle, it would be the 22 Magnum! Nice coyote.

Mine shoots well the 50 gr open up a little but everything else shoots good
This is 10 shot group at 50 yards fairly fast too
e2460a98.jpg

ruger.jpg

I Love My Marlin 22 Mag. It's Accurate Enough To 100 Yards To Whack Squirrels All Day. My Only complaInt Is When I Roll The Bolt And Eject A Spent Cartridge The Bolt Comes Out In My Hand.

Last edited:
I have killed everything from birds to beef cows with the 22Mag. Shot a mangy sick coyote at 340 yards with one, took most of the ruger clip to kill him but I got it done. It is a good round for work on coyotes to small varmints inside 100yds in my opinion. Yes there are better choices but I really like packing a 22mag lever gun around.

The marlin .22 mag was my first and only gun bigger than a standard .22lr until this year. Yes it will take coyotes consistently out to or just past 100 yards after that the bullet loses energy and trajectory extremely fast. The .22 mag is my favorite coon round. I prefer the CCI dynamite stick ammo can't remember what its called. Have read on the internet its not accurate and it doesn't feed well but I have never had a problem it will explode a sparrow and stop a coyote on a dead run at 80 yards and I'm not talking head shot

rooked, if you bolt is coming out when you cycle the action, than you must have your finger on the trigger and squezzing it for the bolt to come out.

I have 2 ruger 96 22 mags one still in the box never been shot. The other one has been shot less than 40 times . I have tried CCI v max win jhp rd nose. And they all group good the v max blow up on hogs. Don't like CCI I use win 40 gr jhp I have killed hogs coyotes cats damage control on deer. I like the win 40 gr jhp ammo the best.

I had mossberg chuckster. With remington 40 gr hp it would do < .5 @ 50 yards for about 10 shots. Then the barrel would warm up and the groups would open a little. This is the same projectile as cci 40 gr hp but the box says it is a little faster. The cci was almost as good. Tried many other loads and none were particularly accurate.

22mag is notoriously ammo picky.

Maybe its just because it is the first round I ever shot but I like it. I like it over .22lr for its flatter trajectory. I think of it as a great jack rabbit round. The next rifle I get will probably be the cz 512 22mag.

It took the big dog in my avatar, instant death.

I love me some 22 mag!!! My 77/22 is flat out amazing it a old school low serial number skeleton stock model. Thing flat drives tacks!!! I got a ruger American 22 mag full size in September. It is nothing near the gun my 77/22 is. It shoots ok but I am not super impressed.

As far as useful we use ours a lot. From ground squirrels to coyotes we smack a lot of critters with ours.

carpspring2, I have the same rifle. I love that rifle! Mine is my early season squirrel rifle, it has the Leupold 4x rimfire scope I use the CCI SP Game Points for small game and coyotes.

Does anyone have any comments on 22 mag vs 17 hmr? To hunt coyotes in South Carolina at night you must shot a rimfire if you are not elevated 10 feet. I have a 10/22 mag, but considering a 17hmr. What do ya'll think?

Never shot coyotes with a 17hmr but from what I have read around here, stick with the .22 Mag. I have killed several with the .22 mag and so far haven't lost one. Shot placement is the key when hunting with a rimfire.

It's like SC don't want people to hunt at night. They want to make it look like they do but they impose so many restrictions, it keep the hunter handcuffed. I won't call at night because your not allowed to use a scoped weapon. What better way to identify your target than with a scope.

What part of SC you in?

Back