Using buckshot for hogs

Originally Posted By: gregor19Haha! That is true YankeeBill! I also had to give him the speech about being a good shot at the range and being a good shot when it counts! I believe the boy suffered from the "rush" before the shot. I can't say I haven't ever done the same, but I still had to give the boy a hard time!

LOL Gregor. I wasn't implying his shooting ability specifically, just some folks in general.

YB

Was this about an old thread?Originally Posted By: gregor19Haha! That is true YankeeBill! I also had to give him the speech about being a good shot at the range and being a good shot when it counts! I believe the boy suffered from the "rush" before the shot. I can't say I haven't ever done the same, but I still had to give the boy a hard time!

Originally Posted By: Davey_OHi all, I scouted out an area on my Florida leased land that's in a thick cypress swamp with the center of the swamp giving maximum visibility of 40-50 yards without running into a lot of underbrush. Thinking about setting up a ground blind on the high area of the swamp and hunting with a 12 gauge using buckshot. I have several different brands/loads of 000 buck that pattern very well with a modified choke. My modified choke gets the tightest patterns than my other chokes on hand, which are improved cylinder, improved mod, and extra full chokes. My question really boils down to will the 000 buck do the job or be a crippler in anyone's opinion? A co-worker kills many large feral hogs on his lease in central FL with Winchester supreme 00 buck but I just think that might be a tad bit small of shot size to use. Thanks

P.S hope this post doesn't cause any offense to others. I try to be as ethical a possible when hunting any game.

You started it...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: brainedOriginally Posted By: Davey_OHi all, I scouted out an area on my Florida leased land that's in a thick cypress swamp with the center of the swamp giving maximum visibility of 40-50 yards without running into a lot of underbrush. Thinking about setting up a ground blind on the high area of the swamp and hunting with a 12 gauge using buckshot. I have several different brands/loads of 000 buck that pattern very well with a modified choke. My modified choke gets the tightest patterns than my other chokes on hand, which are improved cylinder, improved mod, and extra full chokes. My question really boils down to will the 000 buck do the job or be a crippler in anyone's opinion? A co-worker kills many large feral hogs on his lease in central FL with Winchester supreme 00 buck but I just think that might be a tad bit small of shot size to use. Thanks

P.S hope this post doesn't cause any offense to others. I try to be as ethical a possible when hunting any game.

You started it...
smile.gif

lol.gif
thumbup1.gif

Well I got some good info on this topic so far but ended up shooting up all my buckshot except for coyotes size. So don't worry I will not share my intentions of using buckshot on hogs they are too small to use anyways, lol.

Originally Posted By: Davey_OWell I got some good info on this topic so far but ended up shooting up all my buckshot except for coyotes size. So don't worry I will not share my intentions of using buckshot on hogs they are too small to use anyways, lol.

SMH
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: YankeeBillI've used 3" 000 Winchester Supreme for both deer and hogs and I prefer the 10 .36 cal. pellets over the 41 .24 cal. pellets of #4 Buck for their better penetration capabilities and the larger holes they make. Buckshot is notorious for producing poor blood trails and as such I like having .36 cal. holes in my game as opposed to .24 cal. I also don't like making unnecessary holes in something I intend to process for the table. If someone can't hit a running hog in the vitals at

Originally Posted By: brainedOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorI guess I must be slow, I don't get it??

Maybe so...
scared.gif
But you said it...

I bet your momma is proud of you. (not sarcasm) have fun in life, im sure you will go far.

Let's try this: if you can't make a constructive post, keep it to yourself.

This forum has a good track record. Let's not screw it up now.

I have lots of constructive things to ad. I just dont see why people have to screw up the post. The OP asked a question and got an answer. Why does he have to be mocked about it??

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts I hope I never came off sounding harsh by any means. I meant to share my thoughts so that other members who preferred to use a shotgun a heads up on a proper size buckshot round and range to fulfill there needs if interested. Thanks again guys!

I've had mixed results with buckshot. So I wouldn't use it at all. But if I had too pick one for heavy brush it would be #1 buck. Need more semi heavy pellets. I shoot wheat fields. When the wheat is high it's as thick as any brush on a pig. Covering most of the vitals. The sound of you peppering wheat is a sick feeling when it's 400 yards to the nearest tree.

Back