Nose jammer

timmy140

For the last few years I have been having problems with scent. Don't know what it is but this year I tried some nose jammer and every single deer that has gone down wind from me has evacuated the area. Some flag and blow. Some just stomp the ground and leave with a fast walk just wondering if any one else has had the same results with this product.
Also wondering what scent control products people are using with results. It is really frustrating.

Smoke your clothes! It works. I do my normal scent routine as well as smoking my clothes. The old nanny does will sniff the air and go about there business.

I wash my clothes in baking soda and setup to shoot before they get into my down wind whenever possible. As you can see from the video, it works pretty well. This was taken with my iPhone in the open woods while coyote hunting. She finally got twitchy when she got about 50yds down wind of me. Plenty of shot opportunities if I wanted them.

Not just clothes are important. Makeing sure your breath doesnt stink, or smelling as little as possible has made a good bit of differance for me.

I know this to be true for me and I never drink coffee before morning hunts, it makes my breath skanky. I got some hunter tooth paist that isnt the greatest to brush with, it seems to work well though.

I don't believe you can beat a Deers nose . You may be able to attain some valuable time by confusing or letting off smaller amounts of human sent albeit clean body, gear, clothes etc. I'm in the hills of the Ozarks MO. Big timber tracts that we hunt using the sattels, pinch points, change in habitat to set up on.. That being said the wind is constantly twirling and changing direction . You can do your homework and watch the latest forecast right up to the time you are leaving out for the hunt, but in my theater it WILL change.

I have no experience with nose jammer: could be the scent was obviously something new to them that they didnt like. If the wind was taking that scent then no doubt yours was with it.

In regards to using baking soda. Bi Carbornate absorbs oders. So it would ultimately obsorb scent. If this is good or bad depends on how bad you sweat up your clothes and how many hunts you put back to back with said clothes.

I do use the scent sprays and have scent lock clothing. It's not fool/deer proof but I do believe that it gets you into a mind set and aware that you have to do everything as a hunter to minimize as much human sent as possible. This includes keeping your hands off of brush, twigs, trees on the way and to the stand.. I do believe that on several encounters where I've had my scent situation under control to my best ability that I've had deer, coyotes, bobcats come in from down wind and I still would have had a shot if I wanted it. I have had hunts where I didn't even know the deer was on my down wind side and then suddenly the snort or white flag goes up. But I have to say that if you are between an area that they really want to go they will ultimately circle you and hopefully circle around and return upwind of you and provide a shot. I do believe and witnessed the difference IMHO between a double nose full of human scent or maybe a whiff. The behavior that they exhibit will tell you the difference.

Have a good scent control system. Most important time IMHO is when the clothes are not in use. I have a tub that is air tight. Weather stripping on all the lids etc. I get dressed on the tailgate and then undressed at the tailgate. I normally dress and walk in with my base layer on no hat and then put my additional layers on at the base of the stand. Sweat is your enemy and promotes bacteria and ultimately human odor. I spray down and put on the remaining layers and camo then spray down again. I spray the area at the base of the tree where I finished dressing then head on up to the deer stand.
Don't pick up the odors off the truck seat and inside of the cabin or house. Same for your boots. I fInd it funny watching the hunting shows that comment and push scent illimination and then you see them at the gas station filling up with the boots, hat and clothing they will be wearing in the field.. The scent/bacteria they pick up off the pump handle alone is a lose lose...
Best of luck to you. I would probably ditch the nose jammer and try minimizing as much scent as possible prior to entering your hunting area . The scent " cover ups" scent wafers, sprays, scent loc, dirt, cedar trees smashed up and rubbed on the clothes and " smoking" your clothes may give you a better edge .

I been using a product called carbon synergy. It comes in a powder form. You mix it with water and spray your clothes with it. I had a young coyote downwind at 30 yards that I missed a couple of weeks ago. He was eating hickory nuts of all things. It took about 10 minutes for him to present a shot.
Clothing and me I use wildlife research products.
Hunting wise I'm a believer in rubber boots and playing the wind.
J

I just got back from an elk hunt and noticed a dramatic difference when i was and wasn't wearing any scent away. The few times i managed to get within bow range I was dripping with the stuff. Judging by the elks reactions I think they can still smell you but it's not as strong and it will buy you some extra time.

Rocker knocker and Tucson Frank have my vote. The only way you can eliminate scent is to stay down wind. It's always good to control scent as much as possible. Personally I don't waste money on it and only play the wind. I fill my elk and deer tag every year by playing the wind. If animal is getting down wind you better adjust. I have heard nose jammer is a good product though.

Back