Custom Calls VS Store bought

Quote:
Cronk, Bearmanric, TTEbbe, THO calls are way underpriced when compared with other hunting calls....even when compared with the store bought calls.

Ssssssshhhhhh dont tell them that!!!! LOL
I have Bearmanric, THO and Timbertoes calls. I am planning on a Killer Call next. But thanks to you now I am going to have to pay $100!!!
LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
Hey Rich,
can I put one on Layaway before the price insrease? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

A custom call to me is just that a custom. I make all my calls one at a time, no two are the exact same, close but not the same. In other words I don’t measure all the dia, and lgths on each call, I just turn them free hand. I also hand tune my reeds to get the sound they want. I will also do requests, If they contact me and want a design or a feature added, there name, or what ever they want.

A production call to me is a call that is the exact same over and over, and mass produced. They don’t test every call, or tune every call. They just make as many of them as they can and as fast as they can. There is no feeling or art to this at all, its production! Do they work “yes” I have some very good production calls that kill predators, and get used.

The sound and looks and feel of the call to me is the big thing. I want the call to feel and sound custom to people, and fit comfortable. Lets face it, the sound of the call has to be right, if it wont call predators then it just looks pretty. I want people to use the calls, take them out and call predators with them. And know they have a quality call, that will get the job done well and still look good! And was not produced on a production line. Each call I make carries a little of myself in it every were or where ever it goes!

Brent

I think we are all saying kinda the same thing, and I didn't intend to stir it up...I just wanted to honor the call builders here.

I guess I got motivated when Bearmanric's call was called expensive, and then I saw a thread on another site that mentioned Cronk Calls and said they were very good, but very expensive...I solidly agree that these calls are beautiful, sound and work great, but when it comes to the cost....These call makers are not making money doing this...they can't be when you figure in the their time.

I am paying tribute to all the call maker to the folks who pour their heart and soul into some awsome creative and wonderful tools for calling critters.

Thanks again

Quote:
I think we are all saying kinda the same thing, and I didn't intend to stir it up...I just wanted to honor the call builders here.

I guess I got motivated when Bearmanric's call was called expensive, and then I saw a thread on another site that mentioned Cronk Calls and said they were very good, but very expensive...I solidly agree that these calls are beautiful, sound and work great, but when it comes to the cost....These call makers are not making money doing this...they can't be when you figure in the their time.

I am paying tribute to all the call maker to the folks who pour their heart and soul into some awsome creative and wonderful tools for calling critters.

Thanks again

I have to agree with you. We are all pretty much saying the same thing. One person making the call from start to finish. I personally dont care what tools he uses to make a call as long as it looks good(or interesting), works(in the right mouth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), and has a handmade feel to it. This last one to me is purely subjective.

I am an aspiring callmaker myself and I am in awe of the quality calls made by the calmakers on this site. sometimes I look at my calls and think. If I just went out and bought an e-caller I probably could have bought another rifle instead of my mini fine furniture collection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But then I think whats the fun in that. As was stated in another thread there's nothing like opening the mailbox and seeind a couple of padded envelopes and realizing what they are.

It happened to me today. I got two of TR's calls in the mail. The one I bid on and a closed reed I asked him for. What sweet calls. Can't wait to go caling with them.

Anyway my hats off to all of you callmakers. Keep up the good work!

Boyd

there's alot of great response's this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif like Kee said everyone is different. getting ready to turn a bunch of new wood's i'm pumped. i love trading it is like xmas all year. yes i love what i do. that was my best cocabola. so i got a little dejected but oh well. i'll make more it's pretty wood. going to turn some blackwood bear style call's today to maybe a panga panga one. but i think there was a lot of great respone's to this thread.i think we should all stick together as call maker's. i do not care how a person make's a call . we all have a different style and that is awsome. going to turn my personal bear call today. next friday my bear permit start's that what i live for making call's and bear hunting and cougar calling. Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Last edited:
Okay you guys are all wonderful call makers, except for Bearman,
I've been to his house and what he does is handcuffs has daughters to the lathes and wont let them eat until they turn out a call. Why he even makes his mini wienerdog run a treadmill so he dont use electricity.

If he didn't make such nice calls I'd turn him in. I think I'll wait until I get a couple more calls tho.
Carl

I like that term, mini fine furniture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And with all these knowledgable people here it will become even more like fine furniture.Add to it the fact that most are going to come up with ideas that even the manufacturers will eventually try to copy.

You can go back over the pages of this board and see the knowledge and skills shared by all. A real willingness to help their fellow man.Some of these guy's are already going past their counterparts in the custom call business in ways that make a call not just a piece of equipment but pieces of collectable art.Add to it the ideas shared for display's and other parts of the hobby and you have true customs made by some of the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jimmie

I like custom calls much more than a production call, not only are they better in fit & finish, but they WORK much better imo. Also, you can communicate with the maker if you have a question or comment. And I forgot to mention that they are also much better looking and made out of quality parts which make them last much longer and I can describe the pleasure of calling animals with a custom made call!

If you do happen to run into one that sucks. Just turn it around and blow on the other end.

I guess nobody ever thought that all the calls on the market started out as a "custom" calls. They had to start somewhere. AND they were all tested and they all worked (except the T-20).

In 1970 the call makers started switching over to plastics and injection molding in order to stay competitive and make a living. The tima and materials went way down as did the unit cost.

The purists still offer wood, but even wooden calls have problems calling coyotes from time to time.

To me, making a custom call is being able to create an air chamber that better controls back pressure, thus making it easier to blow. Part two is being able to tune a reed to produce a particular sound you are looking for whether it is high pitch, low pitch, clear tones, raspy tones.

These variables are why I do not sell calls on my website. There are too many variable to tailor make a call to match any individual, like making a suit.

One of the things I ask is whether the owner slobbers and blows hard. This determines what reed to start with and how to tune. Next come questions regarding the target animal and then comes questions about calling terrane.

One fellow from Texas,,, in fact two fellows BOTH from Texas took pride in telling me that they blow hard and want to be able to reach critters in the next county. What they got was a custom call consisting of the wooden hardwood core of a drilled-out bowling pin. They were happy.

Greenside,
The WF-4 huh? That one is one of my old favorites also. Very simple reed change feature with that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Now you're getting into collectibles. The old WF-4's made for Burnham Brothers by Rip Fanning are really works of art. Quite pricey too if you happen to find one anymore. Even before that, if you could locate a Cub Creek, then you'd have something.

You're right. The new WF-4's are lacking on visual appeal. Over the years the finish of the calls went downhill but I would venture to say that BB isn't concerned so much with looks as they are what works. You migh say it's a meat call.

"Now you're getting into collectibles. The old WF-4's made for Burnham Brothers by Rip Fanning are really works of art. Quite pricey too if you happen to find one anymore."
-------------------------
Now Jay,
You could have talked for a week, and not said THAT. Mine was stolen out of my pickup back in the 1980,s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back