December Coyote (s)

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameWhat's Ryan shooting now, I think I remember him shooting your 17 Fireball, a 6.5x284 and a .204. Bet it's nice having the family competition back.
Ryan had his 7 year old son (my grandson) with today and that kid is crazy about hunting so I see this family competition expanding in the near future
smile.gif

So far this season Ryan has used his 204 and 6PPC for coyotes. I think he may have shot one with his 7mm STW while big game hunting but thats not one of his "go to" coyote rifles
smile.gif

Last edited:
Had an appointment in the city today, so booked the day off of work. I had time for one stand before we had to leave so it was off to a creek valley at first light. The morning was fairly crisp out ( minus 17 F ) but calm. After parking the truck I slowly walked along a plowed trail that would eventually end up at a bale pile. Stopped to glass the creek valley a few times and eventually spot a bedded coyote. Sneak up to a rock pile where I get set up but unfortunately can only see coyotes ears. Some lip squeaks gets the coyote up and looking my way, a squeeze of the trigger and 204 puts it back down.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458 Did ya shoot it in the head?
You sure got some beautiful country there.
thumbup1.gif

The coyote never gave me much of a target so the shot was just under the chin.
We do have a good variety of scenery around here for sure!

Thank you Dewey NY and everyone else for the comments.

This morning was -7F, calm with light snow and I figured it to be an ideal morning for calling. First set, after snowshoeing along a fecne line for almost a half mile never produced anything but a couple curious white tail deer and some ravens. From there I drive to the poultry farm where I had been seeing the coyotes as of late. Sure enough there was a couple on the slough and after parking the truck out of sight I did a slow sneak to within shooting range. The closest one was bedded and after numerous tries of lip squeaks I could not get this guy to stand up. Zoom up the scope to 20X and set the cross hairs on the coyotes shoulder. A 210 yard shot has the coyote up and spinning a couple 360's before piling up.

As an added bonus I find this "road kill" fox on the drive home
smile.gif

" Road kill " ?
Pretty fox. !!
Do you always use the style snowshoes in your avatar?? .
I've gone to the 11×56" Ojibwa's and I really like them.
Our snow is real powder and I don't sink quite so far with them. Next pair will be the 10×72". They are a great looking shoe.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458 " Road kill " ?
Pretty fox. !!
Do you always use the style snowshoes in your avatar?? .
I've gone to the 11×56" Ojibwa's and I really like them.
Our snow is real powder and I don't sink quite so far with them. Next pair will be the 10×72". They are a great looking shoe.
Found the fox laying on the road......someone had hit it with a vehicle. With the deep powdery snow in the fields the animals are starting to use the roads more and more this past while.
The snowshoes in my avatar were a 30" shoe. I now have a set of Tubbs Journey 36"x10" shoes.I had a set of Ojibwa (rawhide) snowshoes 40 years ago that I liked very much.
Your next pair of shoes will be 6 feet long.... that should keep your eyes above the snow drifts
smile.gif

Yup . Iverson makes them. Mine are neoprene nylon webbing. I made the bindings last year.
Iverson designed the 10×72" for an Arctic tour guide that takes out tourists on the north slope. . I've seen pictures of guys up here that had what look like about 11×96" . I guess that before the snow mobile was invented guys still needed to go overland. Faber has some good looking shoes.

Yup . Iverson makes them. Mine are neoprene nylon webbing. I made the bindings last year.
Iverson designed the 10×72" for an Arctic tour guide that takes out tourists on the north slope. . I've seen pictures of guys up here that had what look like about 11×96" . I guess that before the snow mobile was invented guys still needed to go overland. Faber has some good looking shoes.

you're doing well up there Snoeshoes.
that roadkill may fetch ya a purdy penny
cool.gif

as for the shoes, i've got 2 of the (newest-greatest) and hate em...way too loud on hard pack and God help you if you hit a fence with them
scared.gif
have gone back to the wooden ones. much quiter and WAY more floatation.

Thank you borkon

This morning I set up 100 yards downwind of a heavily used coyote trail, I just get seated and have a coyote pop out of the trees a couple hundred yards away only to turn around and go back in. A couple minutes later one comes down the "100 yard" trail and I let it cover 50-60 feet before dropping it. The smell of burnt gun powder hangs in the calm -20F air for a half minute before finally drifting away and I'm thinking its almost to calm out here.
Ten minutes later I have a coyote come out of the bush just a few feet away from me, no chance for a shot as the coyotes eyes are locked on me, it then decides to trot back into the bush.
Five minutes later another one comes out 50 yards from me but catches my scent and high tails back to safety.
Twenty more minutes pass before another coyote comes down the trail and it stops to look at the downed one. The cross hairs are already on my target and I waste no time putting this second one down.
I was getting chilled and had two coyotes down so thought it was time to make the half mile journey back to my truck. I'll be going back there next weekend but setting up a little different.
smile.gif

Thanks luder

It never got above -10 F today and I figured to go back and try my luck in the same area as I was at this morning. This time I parked in the landowners yard and hiked a little over a 1/4 mile to the edge of some reeds where I would call from. Started off with a couple howls using my Cronk howler which gets a return of challenge howls. I challenge howl back and all goes silent, I give it a half minute, then let fly with some yelps and within seconds here comes a big coyote on the run. After dropping this coyote at roughly 100 yards, I grab the howler and give some more yelps. Waited another 15 minutes but nothing else showed.

Yes fratri, that is the main coyote trail coming onto the big slough bottom flat. Unreal isn't it!
I came across another 4 or 5 lesser used trail on my walk in. By the number of fresh tracks I would be happy to set up and watch any of the trails.

Yes gumboot458, there is a few coyote competitions every year but over the last couple years theres been nothing close by.

Back