Pig rifle

Look for a good used Marlin 336 in 30-30. You can pick up a good scope at a reasonable price from Optics Planet, Natchez shooters supplies, etc. Ammo should be available most anywhere at a decent price. I would buy a Marlin with the JM stamp on the barrel, that denotes it was made before Remington took them over. Quality after Remington took over has been marginal. Try local gun stores or pawn shops...

If you are gunning for hogs under 100 yards, you would be hard pressed to find a better rifle setup in the budget you mentioned... in my opinion.

I'm kinda partial my old Ruger .44 Mag. At one time it was called the "Deerslayer". It lays 'em down with almost any good 240 gr .44 Mag load. It's the .44 Mag that looks a whole lot like a 10/22.

I second lightsout.the 336 is a classic that will never go out of style.I hunt hogs here in FL on a weekly basis.to me the older models will out shoot the newer productions.170 grain flat points get the job done with a quickness. don't let anybody down play the 30-30 it may be old but it still puts meat on the table.

If you do not feel limited by a single shot, you can get a nice used H & R or NEF with a good scope for $450. Many calibers to choose from.

I don't have the hog hunting experience that a lot of you guys do, but my .444 Marlin has dropped two hogs on the spot. I like it at least. Seems there's just something special about a lever action too.

The scope is an old Weaver Micro-Trac 1.4x4.5, plenty scope enough for hogs at reasonable ranges.

The 265 gr. bullet hits with authority.

I don't understand the need for the 45-70 444s and larger bores. I see your here in texas. Any deer rifle will work. All the company's have made money getting into people's heads. Leading folks to believe that they need a hog scope hog gun. Get u a 243, 25-06, 7mm-08, 270, 308 30-06 300 win (you pick) and kills some pigs. You can get a savage axis with a luepold rifleman for around 480.00

DWA, there's no need for a 45-70 or 444, nor a 300 win mag, nor a 308, nor a 270....... It's just what I like. Can you understand that part?

As far as that goes, a guy can drop hogs with a .223. Would you not agree that there are many calibers to choose from and that personal preference has a lot to do with it?

Where in the world did u get that I was talking about you or to you for that matter. I said You see all the gun mags saying pig guns All are 450 bushmaster 45-70 and Big bore hand guns just to make a buck. I don't understand why they call them pig guns. I killed more pigs last year with a 25-06 than most will ever kill in a lifetime. You like what you like dude. I don't give 2 loads of crap what u shoot. The op asks for a pig gun. I was just explaining that any deer rifle you shoot a pig with becomes a pig gun. The caliber doesn't make one. So let off the throttle a bit turbo.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: dwaI don't understand the need for the 45-70 444s and larger bores.

Could it be that I got the idea here? No one else mentioned .444 except me, so I think it's reasonable to assume you were talking to or about me and my choice. As well, no one else didn't see a need for anyone else's choice, only you. You don't have to agree with my choice, nor anyone else's, but I do think you need to brush up on how to talk to people on the forums.

Everyone responded to their idea of a good pig rifle and so did I. No one suggested that they couldn't see why anyone would use their stated choice except you.

As to name-calling dude and turbo, well, it's easy to see who you are and your style. But, as I say, there's a right way to talk to or about people. You listed practically every cartridge in the book as being OK except a 444 and 45-70. You have no doubt killed untold numbers of hogs, more than I ever have or will, and you know what works. But, I know what I like and that's all that matters, whether you understand it or not.

Maybe try a little kindness along the way. People here will respect you more if you do.

I will say one other thing too. I have seen a lot of good people quit posting on these forums because of people like you who are quick tempered and who sling insults. It's shameful.

Stop taking it personal. Wasn't talking about you. You all keyed up because I said 444. I'll never ever ever ever mention it again. I promise!?!?
If your looking for a fight or trying to take some moral high road it's not there.

If your so kind why didn't you ask if my post directed to you? I would have said no

How are u so sure your not the reason people stopped posting? I'm sure in all your time being on forums you've had a misunderstanding. You need to chaulk this up as one and move on. I'm being nice and asking you to drop it.

Last edited:

Verminator9,

Sorry your post took the turn it did, and I apologize for any part I had in it.

I'm sure you will find just the right rifle, caliber and optic to suit your needs or desires. There are a lot of options to choose from.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Verminator9I looking for a nice hig rifle under the price of about $450, then a good optic for it.. Help anyone need some ideas

You can find used Remington 700 in many calibers for around $450.. Great guns.. I found my .223,.243, .308 and 30-06 all in the $400-$450 range each.

Check academy outdoors for new any guns always great prices I got a Remington 700 in 243 for 370 brand new and they sell Henry lever actions for 360 I believe.

My pig rifle is my BAR 30-06, but next year I am going to get a 6.8 SPCII and a 308 AR. I may also pick up a 50 Beowulf.

I think it would be tough to beat the AR platform for a pig rifle.

Back