maine hay fields

one more thing, i read a post somewhere questioning the affectiveness of decoys, well the last 3 i shot were totally locked onto the moving decoy. i think they are super valuable. I recently got a ghillie suit and i'm not totaly sure but i think it has been a big plus for me
don

You sure do see a lot of coyotes, in the open, during the day too. I've seen 1 in 2 years in a field, and thats the only one I have shot. 100+ stands and the one I happen to see walking in to my setup is the only one I have shot. I hunted a spot this morning, near a bait site, where I knew the coyotes were held up after this storm. I could see fresh tracks around the bait once the sun came up, but I couldn't get them to come out of cover. I think they hang up right inside the tree line if they can't see anything to connect with the sound. Or they circle downwind inside the trees. I'm wondering if the decoy will help get them out. I was about to give in to the idea that yotes don't come into the open during the day, and that I would need to hunt at night, over bait, with a shotgun, in the woods. At least thats what everyone says about hunting in maine. Your stories give me hope. I just love going out, seeing the fresh snow, sunrises, all that stuff. Even if it is -5 like this morning. But I would like to get more than 1 this year. lol

p.s. are you using a digital call or hand calls?

Thanks,
Dustin

I'm out almost every day for at least one set. I've got an interesting addition to my last succesful hunt where i shot one and wounded another. well i went back 3 different days but never found the other dog. well 3 weeks later a trapper friend of mine called and said he had something to show me. In the back of his truck was a coyote with his right front leg shot off. he had trapped it less than a mile from where i had shot it. no doubt it was the same one, I was amazed. it's so cool when you can't find one that you hit, you always wonder where you hit it.
I have had a very good year but since Oct. 9th i've been out a ton with no luck, although i did take some time off to get a deer. now that deer season is over I'm back at it and of course it's mega cold and we got a bunch of snow. I use a foxpro firestorm and think it is very important that the dogs are looking for where the sound is coming from. and that's what they are sneaking up on. I'm too old to run around in the woods all night so i have to hunt in the day and i have seen them at all times of the day. I think it's important to get deep into a spot to do your calling. i think that if you call from up near the road they will not come but if you get deep into a place where it's a bit open and you can see then your chances go up.also staying on stand at least an hour is important. persistence pays! good luck
don

one more thing, I always place the call at least 75 yds away from me cross wind or up wind and that's where they are looking. the wind is so important and when it shifts around it can drive you quite nuts. I'm always trying to come up with new spots to try and just how to hunt each spot.
don

You point out some key difference. I usually stay 30 minutes, tops. And I use mostly hand calls and my electric call only has about a 50 yd reach. I think I am going to get a better digital and a remote decoy for my next investments.

Thanks,

Dustin

Originally Posted By: smallbutfierceYou point out some key difference. I usually stay 30 minutes, tops. And I use mostly hand calls and my electric call only has about a 50 yd reach. I think I am going to get a better digital and a remote decoy for my next investments.

Thanks,

Dustin
The 3rd coyote I shot, I seen her at the 15 minute mark I changed the sound to mouse tantrum. She was in and out of the brush and ditch line sneeking around, I could see her with my PS32 hand held thermal but couldn't get a shot. At the 75min mark she stepped out in the open, I laid her to rest. Sometimes your not sure if dawgs are around, but if your positive they are there, sit around, they'll show themselves. They're not in a big hurry to get back to the office, they have to eat and survive that's bout it.

hi there, the 75yds is flexable depending on the lay of the land. you don't want them to get close to the call where you can't see them so it has to be out where you can see it, especialy the decoy. you don't want them to be able to get close to it without you seeing them the 1st coyote i called in and killed was at the 73 minute mark and I've had a couple at 63 minutes plus some at 34 mins.If you think about it on the way in they could get sidetracked very easily by a mouse or rabbit. I don't think i've ever seen one sneaking in, the 1st thing you see is movement and they are almost always running. the last two pairs were all running right out in the open, not what i expected at all. I have a lot of confidence now in what I'm doing. If they are there they will respond to the call in some way. you may not have been in the right place yet.i'm sure they won't cross roads to get to you. Keep looking for sign and different spots, hang in there
don

They will use every roll of the land and every blade of grass for concealment. A lot of times they do come runnin, runnin so fast it's hard to get a shot, but using a hand held thermal you see so much more with it than you do with the naked eye. You don't know what your missing out on till you have one in your pocket on a coyote hunt. Its a game changer. You don't think they are sneaking in, cause you can't see them.

Logger, that's certainly true. we never really know if we've called one in that's why i say if there's a coyote within hearing, it will react to the call,somehow. that's why stand selection is so important.
don

Back