Fun screw-ups

Craig

Ok, while I'm not a regualr poster here, I have been out quite a bit. And I have screwed up many a coyote, here are some of my best. And what I have learned

Hunting with an unloaded gun is only slightly more productive then hunting with no gun at all.

Ditto for hunting with the wrong shells

If you sleep in, remember to bring the right call. Nothing is more embarising then trying to call geese in a foot of snow. (I'll never live that one down)

Don't glass the nice buck the appeard on the ridge. Doing so will only result in a 5 yard coyote.

I know now that I can miss a 5 yard coyote.

NEVER wear a watch that beeps on the hour.

You can't see that 50 yard coyote with your scope caps on.

No matter how hard you look, you'll never find those keys that you droped in the snow. (I did have extra's but getting into the house was not fun)

The funnest one, I bring a sled with me to haul coyotes out, since I have a lot of snow here. If you think a call is dry don't sled down the hill. I slid about 50 yards away from a coyote that was just sitting there looking at me wondering what the....

Samething, if a call looks dry, don't shot the magpies outta spite. Yep you guessed it, you'll see a coyote running away soon after.

Well I think that about does it for me. I'm sure to think of some more I'll add them later.

Craig

I've missed a 10yrd coyote, two days later a 7 yrd broadside. Started bringing my shot gun after that.

Forgot to put a shell in the chamber, is hard to but a shell in with out spooking vermin

Got busted while I was watching antelope, the coyote was watching me, all I seen was his tail as he ran over the hill.

Gave up to early and seen a pair as I was walking out, they seen me too.

And the dangerous, on a very cold day, around -10 my firing pin froze, couldn't put a new shell in with out spooking the coyote, just sat there and then my firing pin unfroze and boom it was like a flintlock swift, bullet zipped harmlessly into the bank behind the coyote.

Those are classics.
Especially like the one where you sledded by the dog.
Lets see,,, electric caller quit and did not have a back up mouth call.
Drove two hours to my first set up and forgot bullets.
Had a monster coyote run by me at 5 yards and had not put a shell in the gun, as he ran off I short stroked the bolt and it jammed got it cleared just as he went out of sight.
Stood up to leave a stand and right behind the bush was a coyote sitting not 5" from me. He walked off to about 10' and stood there looking at me. I was by a herd of sheep so my brain was thinking it had to be a sheep dog, I realized it was a coyote in time to miss him as he was walking away at 15 yards the on the afterburners at 70 yards, 150 yards and 300 yards.
Getting up to leave a set I looked behind me just in time to see 4 dogs coming on a sprint at 10 yards, what a rush, too fast too close so I jumped up and they slapped on the skidders and went 4 different directions quickly disappearing into the sagebrush with out a shot fired.

Got bored so got up eairly to set up on crow that flew in, spooked coyote who was 70 yards away who then spooked crow. NO shots.

Double came in downed first tried to catch empty .223 case(reloader) jammed bolt, watched second run away.

Don't stand in open and try to locate a coyote with howl, hide first, also have gun.

Skinner 2

Had a coyote walk right in front of new coyote hunter that I brought along the guy just lets it walk away, after I shot it I asked why didn't you shoot his reply was cause you told me not to move. That happened twice with 2 diff. guys. another time I had a coyote right on top of me he came from where I had parked the truck so I wasn't paying to much attention from that direction I had blown on my scope it was about -15 I couldn't see and my boy didn't have a shell in his gun OWell.

I've learned a few things also. Here are some of the better ones.

1.never let go of the remote
2.remotes are expensive
3.leave your hat on your head
4.hats cost at least as much the second time
5.bring extra shells
4.put another round in the chamber after shooting
6.sometimes the coyote hooked up to the drag isn't dead yet
7.sometimes the coyote in the back of the truck isn't dead yet
8.be very careful when shooting close to the caller
9.if you leave the caller running while you pick up your coyote you really should take your gun with you
10.bobcats can be really sneaky
11.rarely do coyotes come from where you expect them
12.domestic dogs and badgers don't get along
13.if you have a long ways to go to pick up your coyote, it is a good idea to mark the caller with something visible from quite a distance
14.a GPS can sometimes save a lot of walking
15.some nights are really dark
16.once in a while my gun has a mind of its own
17.keep an eye on the birds
[/list]
And the education continues...

One of the guys I hunted Elk with, was standing next to me. When this six point bull Elk came in sight, he said, he fired FIVE times but never hit the bull elk. I said I know, as I looked on the ground and 5 unfired shells lay on the ground. He hasen't lived that down yet.GENE'O

Hmmmm lets see....

1 The button thingy on an AR is a foward assist.
2 Take more than 4 bullets
3 Put your gun on safety
4 Dont lean forward when coming out of a tree. You may land on your chin.
5 Dont wear sunglasses
6 Carry two spotlights
7 Put your $40 Sceery calls on a lanyard
8 Dont sit near a rat nest
9 Dont wait for a close shot
10 Dont sit on your mini-blaster
11 If its got a collar on it, its probably domestic
12 Birds of prey arent fun
13 When picking up a coyote by its head and tail, dont put your thumb near the oraphace under the tail cause it might go in. :eek:

still learning also.....

Oh what memories, wait these aren't memories, it's post traumatic stress syndrome!!! :eek:

1. Always look before you sit. Fire ants don't take kindly to intruders with large butts, neither do cacti.

2. Push the red button that says "Fire" before you fire.

3. No matter how warm it was when you left the house, it will always freeze before you leave the woods.

4. Use the restroom before you leave the house or the last gas station.

5. Leaves don't make good wiping instruments, and some can actually cause a nasty itching oozing rash and blisters, called poison something or other.

6. The good meal you eat before hunting, should NOT include beans... Of any kind!

7. Drinking heavily the night before hunting makes puking in the toilet seem like a luxury.

8. Friends who drink heavily with you the night before the hunt, are not friends when you discover that there is no masking scent strong enough to cover alcohol laiden puke coming from the passengers side.

9. When you feel the heat through the soles of your $200 hunting boots, it's too late!

10. The game warden doesn't care how long you've had your license if you don't have it with you to give to him when he wants to see it.

And this is supposed to be fun??? LOL

I just found this and thought it'd be appropriate for this topic.... So to continue where I left off...

11. NEVER EVER pick your nose......

dont_pick3.jpg

(ouch!)

I only have one, but here goes.

1) cross country skiiers and snow shoers have no sense of humor when you let go with the coywolf howls on your e caller when they are only 30 feet from your speaker.

Hey thought up a few more.

Never go hunting the day of a midterm. University prof’s don’t like it when you show up just in time for the test, wearing full camo. Good thing I wasn’t wearing skunk cover scent.

It is possible, with years of practice and a little luck. To call 5 in one stand and not get a single one of them. I did make this up though, I once call 4 at once and got all 4.

If you wear eyeglasses, never wear them under a balaclava (face mask.) They fog up in no time and there is no way to get them off with out a lot a movement.

Once while deer hunting I ran out of gas. Eventually called my roommate to come out with some gas. Soon after my partner flips the “tank switch”. Truck starts right up. Guess I had flipped it getting out. Worst part was, we had to wait for my roommate to show up with the gas we didn’t need.

If you see a coyote coming in for a long way out take a look and make sure there isn’t once closer. I once took a shot at a 200 yard coyote and realized soon after that one was only 40-60 yards from me when I took the shot.

Rocks look like coyotes, a lot. Don’t glass rocks during a stand. I bet I’ve lost a bunch of coyotes while looking at rocks trying to figure out if they are coyotes.

When picking up a coyote by its head and tail, dont put your thumb near the oraphace under the tail cause it might go in.
ROTFLMAO...Who enjoyed it more, you or the coyote? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey you guys kill me,,, none of these have ever happened to me,,, but now my neighbor goes out one day with his brother they get to the hunt spot he pulls out his 7rem mag slides the bolt back to see if he has one of his new sirocco bullets in (yep) slides the bolt closed and the gun goes off,,, through the center console,,, then through his brothers butt stock,,, through his brothers thigh then down through the seat and stops in the passenger door carpet without even denting the metal,,, now blood is gushing all over the place cause it hit a main artery and his brother turns to him and says ouh,,, they put a tourniquet on his leg and headed for the nearest farm house. The upholstery died and the brother lived and really thought the helecopter ride was cool!

Ive done that LOL, you guys have covered them except for:

Put on and CLOSE your scope covers in the snow.
Take your boat cushion to the stand AND back to the truck.
If you use two calibers keep a box of both in your truck.
Have your calls untangled and out of your coat, do you really need six calls around yer neck?

I was hunting near my girlfriends house one time and did not tie her dog up..... Needless to say he was attracted to the call and at one point was in my cross hairs. I did not shoot him, but when he came and sat next to me, the hunt was off. My girlfriend watched the dog come up to me and had a good laugh when I came back with him. She was happy I did not shoot him, that would have been bad, real bad!

No matter how many times you break open the action on a contender, it will not fire if you don't set the selector switch.

Pay attention to everything around you, not just what is in front of you. A cow elks nose on the back of your neck in the winter is really cold, and really hard on the old ticker.

Bobcats sitting on your rifle, are really hard to kill.

The bolt on a Remington 788, will not dig into the snow when it is sliding on top of the snow on it's way to the bottom of a canyon, and there will be a coyote waiting for you when you finally get to the bottom, usually between you and the rifle.

Back