NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

You're a good guy GC.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: GCHouser let me look around here, I probably have some factory Rem-chokes laying around somewhere. If I can find a couple I would be happy to send them your way if you want?

I really appreciate it and it's nice of you to do that. Let me know what you find out and we'll work out the details.

Love those 2 photos with the shotgun kills! All Federals and Remington 3 inch #4 buck loads(Winchester does not make 3 in anymore) shoot well in my Browning pump. I pattern at 45 yards and the two unplated buck like a factory full choke. The extra full had too many(in my opinion) gaps on target, some good clusters some bad. On the other hand I shoot federal vital shok copperplated and they love a flush trulock IM choke.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCOriginally Posted By: GCHouser let me look around here, I probably have some factory Rem-chokes laying around somewhere. If I can find a couple I would be happy to send them your way if you want?

I really appreciate it and it's nice of you to do that. Let me know what you find out and we'll work out the details.

Well, I spoke too soon. I was sure I had a set of 12 gauge Rem-chokes here from the last 870 Express I had in the house. I tore this place apart looking for them and then sent a text to my son to see if he had taken them for some reason. He reminded me that I gave them to a friend of his named Chris when he had bought a used 870 a couple years ago. Evidently I gave Chris a set of factory chokes, a turkey choke, some turkey loads to try, and a choke wrench and a sling for his shotgun. Didn't remember that until my son reminded me. Very sorry...

Originally Posted By: jonathankansas03Anyone do anything with a waterfowl (28") barrel and a full choke? How do they do out at 50+? Thinking about using it with #4B

Nobody can tell you that, only patterning can show how well it will work out in the end.

Thanks for the information. The most interesting thing I noticed is that maybe I don't actually need a $300 red dot sight to kill a 'yote at 50 yards. When I run out of 4 buck I will try some BB HD in 3 1/2".

Originally Posted By: JohnK9027Thanks for the information. The most interesting thing I noticed is that maybe I don't actually need a $300 red dot sight to kill a 'yote at 50 yards. When I run out of 4 buck I will try some BB HD in 3 1/2".
--------------------------------
If your shotgun shoots where you aim it you probably won't need to add anything to the factory sight system. The need for patterning on paper at known distances can not be over stated. If your shotgun shoots dense patterns with your chosen load at 40 yards and beyond, and the point of impact is right where you were looking then why change anything?

You're right, my shotgun is fine. If they will mill around 30-40 yards out I got 'em it's the ones that jump up in my lap I have trouble with. That's why I went to shotgun only in the first place. They are still too close, still no spread, no coyote. Some would call it incompetence but I prefer to blame it on the equipment. I need a choke that will cover 40 inches from 10 to 50 yards. Meanwhile I'll just cuss and throw pine cones when it happens.

Originally Posted By: JohnK9027You're right, my shotgun is fine. If they will mill around 30-40 yards out I got 'em it's the ones that jump up in my lap I have trouble with. That's why I went to shotgun only in the first place. They are still too close, still no spread, no coyote. Some would call it incompetence but I prefer to blame it on the equipment. I need a choke that will cover 40 inches from 10 to 50 yards. Meanwhile I'll just cuss and throw pine cones when it happens.
-----------------------
Maybe you need a double barrel shotgun. I know, a side by side with two triggers. Cylinder bore choke on one barrel, full choke or tighter on the other. All reasonable ranges covered. Problem has been solved.
thumbup.gif

Houser, for my 870 I have a mod flush mount and it did not impress me. I was only getting 3-4 BBs in a 8" pie plate at 50 yrds. I want a lot more than that. I just bought a flush IC tonight and I will try it in the morning.

I now have tried IC, MOD, Full, Super Full in my 870 and have not been satisfied with any of these patterns on the Hornady BBs. The best I can do is 3-4 BBs in a 8" pie plate at 50 yds and that is not enough for me. The MOD choke was the most even pattern. I guess the good news is I have pretty good selection of choke tubes now.

Switch loads... Pick up a box of Federal plated lead BB and No. Four Buck and go back to work at the range.

I have said it before but Hornady struggles with shot shells. They have tried several times to make a breakthrough type turkey load but just haven't had much success.

Yesterday i patterened some 00 buck federal flite control 8 pellet reduced recoil loads through a cyl barrel on my short barreled mossberg, i could not believe what i was seeing, all 8 pellets in a paper plate @45yds, these are only moving out at 1145fps, but all blew through the plywood backing, where the hornady bb load just stuck in the plywood, so am not to worried about the reduced speed. I have a beretta with adjustable choke's, it would not do this with ic or mod.I wonder if the full power 9 pellet flite control would give me this tight of a pattern out of a none choke gun.A version of the flite control wad is used in the hornady also, but i never even got close to what the federal shoots.

Originally Posted By: dennydHornady bb's dont patteren tight for me either

Same here. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them past 30 yards out of my 2 shotguns.

Originally Posted By: weekenderI now have tried IC, MOD, Full, Super Full in my 870 and have not been satisfied with any of these patterns on the Hornady BBs. The best I can do is 3-4 BBs in a 8" pie plate at 50 yds and that is not enough for me. The MOD choke was the most even pattern. I guess the good news is I have pretty good selection of choke tubes now.

Got box of Federal Premium Magnum Upland BBs, same results, at 50 yds a couple of shots either put one or no holes in the paper plate.3-4 BBs was average on 10 shots. I was using 30"X30" paper behind my plate and the patterns were fairly even, just not tight. I don't have a Kicks choke to try. I have decided to keep shooting #2 lead when I am targeting cats and #4 buck when I expect coyotes too.

I tried 5 diff chokes and couldn't get the Fed BBs to pattern worth a darn past 30 yards. Seems BBs just don't pattern well at all for anyone.

Back