domestic dogs chasing wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets say Joe puts his four walkers on a 2 hr old cat track, the dogs are deer broke, don't run deer, but 1 hr ago 2 does drifted into a patch of cover the cat walked through. The hounds stay on the cat track, but the deer bust out anyway. Tom & Ray sitting on the tailgate hear the dogs, see the deer bust out, and when the dogs show, they shoot them. Anytime I read " I shoot any dog I see " or similar, I think "you are an #@$% head"

well, if the deer bust out and the dogs are following them, then they die. but i am going to guess that dogs that are running lions are not going to be far from their handlers and the situation wont go down like your hypothetical.

While deer hunting in WY this year we packed into the High country. We got rained on and forced into our tents for about 6 hrs the day before the opener. We come out of our tents just before dark to look around as it had stopped raining. We came out and we had thousands of sheep in our camp. Then came the sheep dogs. Great Piranease or however you spell it. Anyways the next morning we start hiking towards our glassing point and here comes 3 deer with 5 dogs chasing them 20 yds out right by us. That was the only deer we saw that day. We thought we were going to have to shoot them later that morning when they came back by us and started growling and barking at us.

This is absolutely correct. I certainly do not think that any caring owner allows their dog to run about chasing game on some one else's property. Any dog doing that certainly must have been abondoned, or is a wild dog with no home.

People accidentally get shot all the time in the woods by other hunters. I am certain mistaking a dog for a coyote is even more possible, and understandable. I would not be out broadcasting it, but I wouldn't loose any sleep either.

If you shoot a dog chasing game, and then broadcast it out just to challenge what can or cannot be done is not something I would encourage.

Originally Posted By: PrairieShadowDogs that chase wildlife are Coyotes.

Originally Posted By: 6724if you saw them chasing deer, why did you not shoot them?

You best hope nobody ever sees you chasing a deer! people wonder why some people shouldnt have guns..........WASFI!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!

Originally Posted By: REID2168Originally Posted By: 6724if you saw them chasing deer, why did you not shoot them?

You best hope nobody ever sees you chasing a deer! people wonder why some people shouldnt have guns..........WASFI!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!

This doesn't even make sense. It's no secret that in most states I know of its legal to kill a dog chasing big game or livestock. Equating an unruly dog to a human is nonsense.

Just call them coyotes.. shoot em, and move on. Someone here has a quote.. If I doesn't have a collar, its a Coyote. Use your best judgement.

Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7This doesn't even make sense. It's no secret that in most states I know of its legal to kill a dog chasing big game or livestock. Equating an unruly dog to a human is nonsense.

NO U R NONSENSE...the reference was only made to make people THINK FIRST NOT SHOOT FIRST....explain to me what mental telepathy powers u posess to let u know the dog is UNRULY and not just chasing due to one of the following reasons:

the owner is hurt in the woods after falling being knocked out and breaking their hip and the dog got away and chased yet if found could lead them back to the hurt person to help them

OR a couple kids out for the first time just dont know any better and the dog got to far away from them and chased

OR a guys out for the first time squirrel hunting and its deer season or not and his dog gets away cause hes learning and it chased

if u think any of the above reasons warrant a dead dog your completely WRONG and you shouldnt be allowed out with a gun by yourself because u ABSOLUTELY have NO WAY of knowing what the reason......PERIOD......your kill it because its LEGAL excuse carrys about as much merit as your mental telepathy does MR ITS LEGAL TO SHOOT THEM cause it says it in a rule book......i could come up with more VALID reasons than this forum has threads to NOT kill a dog just beacause its chasing a deer...just so we are straight i dont condone dogs chasing deer....PERIOD..........but its the owner u need to deal with and figure out the reason.......NOT SHOOT FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER.......that analagy is a JOKE and anyone with decent morals, good common sense and ethics knows it........a dog comes at me with REAL AGGRESSION ITS DEAD PERIOD NO QUESTIONS ASKED..........but other than that you guys seem to be just KILL HAPPY MENTAL TELEPATHY KNOW IT ALLS that probably shouldnt be allowed to have real weapons out in the woods all by yourselves with judegment skills like this.......

then you put this out there for new hunters to read and think its OK because it says it in a rule book...

like i said this SHOOT FIRST ANALOGY cause its LEGASL is a REAL JOKE .......PERIOD!

Originally Posted By: REID2168
Timberbeast7 said:
the owner is hurt in the woods after falling being knocked out and breaking their hip and the dog got away and chased yet if found could lead them back to the hurt person to help them

I have seen some pretty nonsensical crap in my day, but that just about takes the cake....wow. You "what-if'd" the [beeep] out of that one...

There is not a valid reason on earth for a domestic dog to chase wildlife or livestock. Period.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI have seen some pretty nonsensical crap in my day, but that just about takes the cake....wow. You "what-if'd" the [beeep] out of that one...

There is not a valid reason on earth for a domestic dog to chase wildlife or livestock. Period.

the title doesnt say a word about livestock it says WILDLFE those are the animals in the woods that feed themselves.......good try..........u must have mental telepathy as well.

I understand that Livestock was not mentioned...which is why I included wildlife in my statement. In my experience, a dog that will chase a deer will chase a cow or horse. I don't need telepathy to know a n uncontrolled dog chasing stuff it shouldn't be is a nuisance, and needs to be dealt with. Oddly enough, the majority of folks in this thread feel the same way. Even more oddly, most state governments seem to have felt the same way with the passage of various relevant pieces of legislation over the years.

Last edited:
14 people with inaccurate judegement calls based on nothing more then speculation doesnt make them right and im not refering to cattle........now u seem to know if a dog chases a cat it will chase everything because u seen one do it once......WOW.....u must have metal telepathy......that or u just basically WHAT IFD in a whole new manner other then the manner u said i was doing it in.......let it go!

now u r gonna tell me all the laws legislature makes are good for WILDLIFE........hahahahahahaha........yeah right!

Originally Posted By: REID216814 people with inaccurate judegement calls based on nothing more then speculation doesnt make them right and im not refering to cattle........now u seem to know if a dog chases a cat it will chase everything because u seen one do it once......WOW.....u must have metal telepathy......that or u just basically WHAT IFD in a whole new manner other then the manner u said i was doing it in.......let it go!

Was "telepathy" yesterday's entry on your Word of the Day calendar? Methinks it does not mean what you think it means. Regardless..

I am not basing my supposition on one dog chasing one critter. I have been around livestock, dogs, and wildlife my entire life. Experience tells me that same neighbor's dog that is chasing cows is also chasing deer, and anything else it can find to chase. I would imagine that the other folks in this thread have much the same experience.

In all my years growing up running bird and coon dogs, we had one chase deer. That dog chased a deer one time, and it never made the trip home. We took care of the problem ourselves. We would have expected anyone else who saw it happen to do the same.

Further, I have yet to encounter Lassie in the woods who, after Timmy falls in the well, chases deer to get the attention of hunters to let them know he needs help. Maybe I am just sheltered?

u can try and pick apart my choice of words all u want to but its only because u r running out of a defense.......also u can kill whatever animal you want of yours and i could care less as thats your right...... doesnt make it right but it is your right...PERIOD.....in turn you should also use some common sense and take heed when u think shooting other peoples dogs is correct because its legal and says so in a rule book u read that a legislative body voted to approve.........i mean doing that to the wrong persons dog and getting home could be difficult......just a bit of insight as there are some very protective people out there that treat pets like family regardless of what they have done.......not u of coarse but real people...funny how u can only refer to ONE example i gave to pick apart when they all have merit......FACT!

reid, you need to calm down.

there is no need to insult people personally just because you disagree with them. your implied threats are simply ridiculous.

the facts are that in most states it IS legal, it is also the opinion of most people posting in this thread that it is also ETHICAL to put down a dog that is chasing wildlife OR livestock. laws against dogs harassing wildlife are there for good reason. far too many people knowingly let their dogs chase wildlife and when confronted claim that it is the only time it has happened, or that it is the only time he got out. it is almost always b.s.

if it is so wrong to shoot a dog chasing deer or elk, at what point do you determine that it is warranted? after the deer gets chased into traffic, after the deer's guts are pouring out on the ground? or does the dog have to kill the deer? if the deer doesn't die right away, but rather gets worn out and dies a few days later after having used up all its reserve energy, can i go to the dog owners home and kill the dog then, or do i have to wait to catch it in the act of actually killing the deer?

i will proudly admit that i have put down dogs that were chasing wildlife, it is every ethical hunter's responsibility to do so.

if the thread bothers you that much, maybe you should start a campaign to educate dogs and their owner to prevent the situation from coming up.

maybe you can respond without massive anger, hatred, insults and threats.

maybe u shouldnt tell people their comments are nonsense when thats all u r typing.....u can keep trying to hang your argument on whatever BAD reasons u want.....FACT is u r basing a KILL decision with out FACT other than its LEGAL and thats LAME and if u cant understand that u have the problem not me.........i can state my opinion just as u can if u dont like it i guess u need to not log onto forums and give young hunters BAD ADVICE and others who know its bad wont have to respond to it and try to make people see there can be reasons to not shoot a dog thats doing something u dont condone like chasing WILDLIFE..try figuring out why or findng the owner and get it settled not kill it just because u can and feel its OK thats LAME.......take it however u want but spreading bad i dont have the facts judgement calls advise cause it says its legal on a piece of paper is LUDICROUS and if u dont understand that then i understand why u do the things u do...just because its legal wont bring bad publicity will it....GET REAL....u know the ONE BAD APPLE THEORY guys like u r it that make factless based kill decisions and have more chance to cause ANTIS reasons to revolt against our traditions then a dog chasing a deer does 10 fold as it only takes killing one wrong dog to do so not one dog killing one deer.........try thinking about the BIG picture not some wild animal that has more survival skill than u could even begin to know unless now your an animal bioligist as well.....you killing pets out of lack of knowledge and soely based on ASSUMPTION without fact as to why its happening other than u dont like it so now u can fire your gun is a JOKE.....PERIOD.......people should think not kill everything they can because they dont like it or because its leagal......better yet maybe u should help destroy every coyote and wolf out there since they chase deer as well and kill them and gut them and run them to death......do u really think domestic dogs impact deer enough deer on a yearly basis to impact their population....NOT...but coyotes an d wolves sure do so get busy......u just have it in your heart to save the ONE deer u see so now u can kill someones dog because u feel its justified due to a piece of paper staing the fact and thats not always the case...decisions made like that are utterly ridiculous......also im not mad about anything im just not afriad to voice my opinion when i know it has merit and people could be giving young hunters extremely bad advice that gets them in situations that get them hurt for no other reason then they read bad advice on a forum........FACT!

Your opinion would most likely be a bit more respected if you were to state it in some language remotely similar to English......FACT!!

Originally Posted By: liliysdadYour opinion would most likely be a bit more respected if you were to state it in some language remotely similar to English......FACT!!

if u cant read thats an issue u should have dealt with in school.......BET!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back