3 legged pig

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Yesterday, I killed 6 hogs that were trapped last week on the property down the road from my house where several of the hogs I have killed the last year have came from.

The landowner called me last week to tell me he had let a guy set some traps to try and get rid of some and that he had caught 6. The weather was bad (rain) and he was going to be unavailable until yesterday, so they were holding them in a trailer until I could kill them and turn them into pan sausage.

Anyway, we went and killed the hogs and when we were dragging them out, we noticed that one of them only had 3 legs. I don't know if this is possible one I shot the leg of sometime in the past year, or it was some other injury.

I apologize for the poor picture, but I already had him hung up before I though of it and took the picture with my phone since I was in a hurry to get 6 hogs cleaned up and move on to something else.

CB880B73-82A5-4B72-A440-0C0CFE578B27_zpsjbtge2bx.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YellowhammerYesterday, I killed 6 hogs that were trapped last week on the property down the road from my house where several of the hogs I have killed the last year have came from.

The landowner called me last week to tell me he had let a guy set some traps to try and get rid of some and that he had caught 6. The weather was bad (rain) and he was going to be unavailable until yesterday, so they were holding them in a trailer until I could kill them and turn them into pan sausage.

Anyway, we went and killed the hogs and when we were dragging them out, we noticed that one of them only had 4 legs. I don't know if this is possible one I shot the leg of sometime in the past year, or it was some other injury.

I apologize for the poor picture, but I already had him hung up before I though of it and took the picture with my phone since I was in a hurry to get 6 hogs cleaned up and move on to something else.

CB880B73-82A5-4B72-A440-0C0CFE578B27_zpsjbtge2bx.jpg

Very possible for it to have 4 legs
tt2.gif
but it could happen that you shot one in the leg and it lost it and survived. Animals have a strong will to survive.

had pictures on game camera couple years ago of a sow with three legs....she never has the fourth one....it was weird to see.....caught her later in a trap and disposed of her....she just never developed that front leg....same as deer. I have seen deer with leg shot off and they manage to adapt and survive. Wish I still had the pictures of the hog....

he's been caught by dogs. Look at his ears. They've been chewed off by dogs. we see that a lot. We have killed 3 or 4 3 legged hogs.

Quote:he's been caught by dogs

Possible I guess. Like I said, one of the lease members who has an area next to mine said he had picture of him with a snare still on his leg. Our lease is about 5000 acres and no dogs are allowed, so if it was caught by dogs it wasn't anyone who was supposed to be there.

I hunt a 1000 acre place. That is posted. I'm supposed to be the only one allowed in there. We find dead hogs regularly that have been caught by dogs and tied. I don't know if they forget where they left them or get spooked. The lady that owns it will prosecute. Their ears are always chewed.

Yours may have been caught in a snare for a while and chewed either by dog or coyotes.

A salesman stopped at a farmers house. The farmer came out of the house with a 3 legged pig. The salesman asked the farmer why the pig only had 3 legs and the farmer said this is a special pig. Last month the tractor turned over on me, the pig came to the house, got got my wife, she called help and the pig saved my life. The salesman asked again, but why 3 legs? The farmer said that 2 weeks ago the house caught on fire, the pig managed to wake all the family and saved the whole family. The salesman asked again, but why only 3 legs? The farmer said, "a special pig like that, you don't eat all at once"........

Found a little 3-legged boar hog several years ago asleep in the open with a missing foreleg - no stump at all. He was exhausted from trying to feed on one leg and just fell asleep on the ground where he stopped. When my buddy and I first walked up on him, we thought he was dead until we saw he was breathing. We talked in whispers for about 3 minutes before he woke up and started off at just over walking speed for us humans.

My buddy and hunting mentor at the time was so impressed by the hog's will to live that he refused to shoot it.

Back