Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !!

Yea john I know how y'all are. I'll shoot you a pm with my number. But don't expect too much though. I have a bunch of bust days. It's just part of the game.

hi guys,
Name's Jose and Im a student at that dreadful auburn university (WAR EAGLE!) originally from north Alabama up in bankhead where I hunted yotes a little with my grandpa when I was younger, but now got me a nice rifle and looking to really get into it down here before spending the summer in Colorado where I guess I'd havef to change up styles. anyone down this way that would care to show a beginner how its done?

What's going on boys.... Im in southeast Bama. Geneva county not far from Dothan or Fort rucker. Right on the FL line. We're loaded down with yotes, bobcats, and foxes.i usually dont really get after them til after deer and duck season. But thats probably going to change here right off, saw 2 big yotes chasing a calf and its mama in a big pasture .25 miles from the house. By the time i got home and got the .204 they had it dead and gone. This was at 2:30 in the afternoon. Bet you i dont leave home without the rifle anymore. If they were closer they would have had some .45 acp flyin at em lol.

Mike

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I am from Mississippi, just outside of Mobile Al and would like to learn more about coyote hunting in the area. I was looking at some of the wireless electronic calls but dont know where to go exactly. Just looking to get my feet wet and not spend TOO much, but dont want to buy junk either. Anyhow any thoughts or tips on techniques or needed equipment for a beginner just looking to try it out would be great!

Thanks, Chad

Chad,

Personally man you cant go wrong with a foxpro caller. You can usually find a good one on the classifieds forum in here. Other than that just spend as much time out there hunting as you can. For me it was a learn as you go process. Just go through the post techniques thread on here and you will find the answer to most any question you have. A lot of good guys on here.

Mike

Chad,
i just picked up a foxpro spitfire for $140 on cabellas website when they're normally $200. im told they work great. and $140 wont break you. im new but this is what was suggested to me and seemed like a good deal.

Jose

Chad, these are all good replies,...however,.....I would definitely buy a hand call such as an open reed distress call and practice ,practice and then practice some more!!! I have mine in my truck and practice nearly every day going to and from work. The self satisfaction of calling one in with a mouth call will peg your confidence/orgasmatron meter slap out when you connect that way!!
smile.gif

Dont get me wrong, I have an e-caller too but I always will lay down some coaxing mouth calls when I first get to a stand for a few minutes.
John

Get a good ecaller to start with. I didn't want to buy a 200 dollar call, but after buying two calls for 100 and 70 bucks each and then going to a 200 buck caller it would have been much cheaper to get it right the first time. It really depends on if you are going to really get out and hunt or if you are going to go three times a year.

That being said you need to always carry a mouth call with you. Electronics fail and batteries die. Crap one time I forgot to turn the call on and instead of stomping back out 70 yards and back I just used the mouth calls. You can pick up a good custom open reed call on the forum for 20ish dollars.

I'll start looking around for some calls to get started. I saw the post from Stu, and if he or anyone else is in the area, I wouldn't mind sitting in on a hunt sometime and getting some first hand experience from someone thats done it before. Anyway thanks for the pointer's, and I'll try to post the rest of my rookie questions to a more appropriate topic.

I've called & killed some critters. I'm no pro, but I do have some experience. Most of it in the desert SW, LOL

Now that we've gotten settled in here it would be great fun to get out & try it in this area. I really wouldn't mind getting into some deer & especially hogs somewhere around here.

MS is very close, I haven't looked up non-res license costs yet. I do have a current statewide AL license.

Hey guys! I'm from Blount County in North Alabama. I bought a Rock River Predator Pursuit about two years ago to hunt coyotes with. I hunted that year a few times but didn't go any last year. I plan to get after them after deer season closes on January 31st. I hope to post pictures of my kills.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Hey Bama,

I'm close to you. I'm in St. Clair County and have a little bit of property there in Blount County near the county line. Good luck on deer season. You got many places to hunt in Blount County? I have a couple up there. Maybe we can get together if your up for teaming up.

Etowah County here.....Gadsden area....went a few times last year....hoping to get more time in this year....anybody from this part of Bama?

Covington County in south Alabama here. I looking to get start coyote hunt after deer season also. I'm willing to listen to any tips or advice anybody is willing to give.

Welcome to all the new folks on the thread, glad to hear from you all !!

I went down to Greene Co with a hunting buddy at his club this past Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday and did some deer hunting/coyote hunting. Saw a few deer both days and even had a small 6 point walk not 40 ft from my tree stand as he was working his scrape line, that was cool to watch that as he was just taking his sweet time and not in any hurry at all and I watched him for a good 20 minutes right in front of me. I did take my coyote stuff with me and we tried several different locations on the property and saw all kinds of yote scat that was full of rabbit hair on the roads going to the green fields but for the life of me I could not get them to come out and play either day. I guess Im getting a little discouraged yote-wise as this has been about the 5th different time we have been out and not even had as much as a sighting. We even stayed up until about 10:00pm Monday nite and went to hear if we could at least hear them howling to each other but we heard nothing at all on over 2000 acres of property. Thats odd because the night before I got there at the hunting club, one of the guys who was there said around 11:00pm the night before the woods were alive with all kinds of different packs were out howling and making just all kinds of music to each other.
I am watching the wind when I set up my stands, I am not calling too loud or too often (that I would consider), I am changing up my sounds to not have the same old thing for them to listen to and as far as I know, it is just me and my buddy who are coyote calling on the property, and we are not calling them but for about once every 4 to 6 weekends apart. I know that we as hunters cannot in any way predict these varmits ,thats why they call it hunting, but it sure would be nice to score something or at least see one responding to a call every now and again, know what Im saying??? Yeah, Im going to keep at them no doubt, it is just disheartening to have such a dry spell of not seeing nothing for qute a while now......ok, Im through with my pitty party for the time being
smile.gif
Anyone who wants to offer me any insite on what I may be doing wrong, Im all ears...?

At our club that start their greeting calls about 30 minutes till dark. Our coyotes seem to range out. I deer hunted last Friday afternoon and they started up about 5:00 sounded like they where on top of me. Hunted that Sunday afternoon about a mile east of the stand I heard them in on Friday and sure enough I heard them start about 30 minutes till dark and they where away off to the east. Had a buddy at a half mile to the east of me and he could hear them out past him to the east. Do you guys find they seem range out and not really hold to one area?

Last edited:
Welcome aboard waraot1 and Coach.

Coach I'm in St. Clair County. I live in Leeds but hunt all around St. Clair and part of Blount County. I know there's lots of good country up in Etowah County.

John,

Buddy just keep after em. I was on a bit of a hot streak for a while there. Called several in and had several sightings. But due to newbie mistakes and missed shots had little to show for it. Since then its been pretty tough for me too. I usually let my places rest 4-5 weeks or more before I return to call those places. Yet its still been real slow for me lately. I'm gonna get after em some more this weekend so hopefully I can turn it around. I get a little discouraged too but I keep my head up and just stay after em. It beats sitting on the couch is how I look at it. LOL.

Thanks for the welcome.....how do you go about finding places to hunt?....any strategies on getting access to property?...thanks

Most of the places I hunt I already had connections to. Either thru my dad, who is a retired gamewarden, or from being a police officer. I meet a lot of people at work and most don't mind having a police officer on their property hunting.

Shelby county here, Helena. New to the forum and new to predator hunting. My 11 year old son was actually the one who read about this and got interested. He convinced his mom to order a Mojo predator decoy with his allowance money, (gotta love that).Looking for a place to hunt and ANY advice offered is appreciated. For me safety for my son is paramount. What do you guys think about hunting on the public management areas? Anybody who would be willing to host us would be appreciated, and we respect all rules and land.

Back