Baiting

6mm06,
it will happen you have done enough preparation... with warning, vision, location and setup you have not left anything to chance now is the wait ...... only thing I can think that MIGHT help is changing up the menu a little you never know. I have tried that here and did not seem to matter much.... they show up when they feel like it. cold temps and snow have brought activity back.. last night yotes were carrying on behind the house and tracks this morning on the snow show that as well. we also seem to have atleast 1 and probably more red fox around. being in the thick of deer season my yote attention has slacked a little but am still preparing ... waiting for the Mueller scope I ordered to arrive should be here Monday or Tuesday. Sight it in at lunch some day this week. I am headed out the door to deer hunting saw some doe and a buck yesterday could not get the shot to much brush at to fast looked like 6 ptr. ... slept a little late this morning long week. I know what you feel like last winter only shot one and missed one. did not call as much as I would have liked .. hopefully that will change this year my hunting partner ... daughters boyfriend is done college and will be around more and it makes it fun when we pair up. ..

Scalloper,
those are some nice sounding numbers on your bait pile. What type of scope?, light?

my pile is almost 200yds made another about 80-90yds. hoping the new scope and snow will solve my vision and also need to get driveway alarm.

I will never sleep when I get that .. I will be to excited...........

Dog Driller,

You are right in that I have not left anything to chance. It's been a work in progress over the last two seasons to get this far, but I have it down pretty good right now. It's been a real trial-n-error learning experience. The only thing lacking is coyote cooperation with visiting the site. When that happens, the deal is sealed.

Personally I think your 80-90 yard site will be better for shooting. At night time, 200 yards seems like a long way out there.

I know the feeling about being restless and excited with anticipation. I hop in the bunk and get good and warm, and have an ear bud in one ear as I sleep. I am conscious enough to keep it in place when I turn over. It alerts me silently since I don't want a coyote to hear the beep at 60 yards from my cabin.

the mail arrived with the new optics today .... can't wait to get it on the gun and try it. looks like it has potential after sticking it out the window with the red dot on. will work on getting the gun sighted in next week ... deer hunting tomorrow .. no luck today. coyotes up on the hill howling at 4:50 on my way back out ...won't have to worry about hunting up there tomorrow.

J. Mark:
My camera is an inexpensive ($40) Tasco with a flash, which really doesn't seem to bother most critters. I'd rather use it than my Bushnell IR because of the nighttime color pictures.

Im sorry fellas I hate to ask but was is a baitcicle- followed a bunch of the replies on here but Im not getting it a quick explantion please.

Thanks,

duckstopper hows your battery life and do you get many partial or nothing photos? ive never seen a tasco camera also does it work in cold weather?

jk, a baitcicle is a block of frozen meat scraps, dog food, water, blood, etc. that is placed at a bait site in the northern states where the temps remain below freezing most of the time. Coyotes come and feed off the baitcicle. Lots of guys make them in 5 gal pales and place a piece of pvc pipe in the center of the bucket when freezing. This provides a hole in the middle of the bucket so that when the baitcicle is placed it slips down over a pipe which prevents the coyotes from being able to drag it off into the woods. Hence it makes it look like a popcicle except it is a baitcicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J.Markduckstopper hows your battery life and do you get many partial or nothing photos? ive never seen a tasco camera also does it work in cold weather?

Camera takes 4 "D" batteries which last for 2 months +/-. I do get some pic's with no animal showing or with an animal in the 1st pic and then the next pic has no animal, but more bait is missing. Probably 75% of the pic's show an animal. I've only had the camera shut down twice in the last two winters because of temps in the teens. Once or twice the date/time stamp was not correct. Wing Supply had this model and a smaller model as closeouts for $40.

In Wisconsin you are not allowed to hunt over a meat pile- its only legal when you hunt over a gut pile (leave it to Wisconsin) does anyone out there have a receipe that does not involve meat by products that would actually work to bring in coyotes and the wolf.

Thanks for your time,

Joe

jknoel -- ditto what doubleup said ... i would also include bacon grease usually I have a can in the freezer that i just dump bacon drippings or any other meat juices to be warmed later and mixied into the baitsicle. another thing i add is fish oils anything that will throw scent when the temps really plummet. right now being deer season any deer scraps you can get works great -- i will freeze seperate bags in the freezer for use later in the winter when the deer scraps are not available. hope this helps -- good luck

jknoel -- so what is the rule for a dead calf? might want to get to know a slaughter house or two that slaughters cattle, pigs, etc... it should be very easy to get guts only the way the whole slaughter process goes.

Okay the law states that ---- Hunting coyote, fox or racoons over a deer gut pile or a naturally occurring carcass of a deer is not considered baiting. carcasses may not be placed out intentionally as bait for hunting. For the wolf hunt the bait also cannot be meat by products and must be covered with logs stones ect so deer cannot access it.

Go gettem jim!!!. Smokem any way you can!!!
smile.gif

wis. pretty much sucks. we have the worst so called game managment you can imagine. there are bobcats everywhere and you cant get a tag, there are bear comming out of our ears and you cant get a tag.There are hardly any deer up north yet I could buy a doe tag every day for 12 $ till the 3000 for my unit were sold.Many gangs never saw a deer,almost no road kills all fall.The dnr in wis. have lost there minds.they love the predators and hate the deer.They should all be fired,every one of them.For the first time in my life I never saw a deer bowhunting.How will the deer ever recover with all these wolves.bears,bobcats and coyotes? The dnr idiots are going to have a hard time living this down. People are pissed big time and the crap has only begun to hit the fan.

I am using fish food through a Moultrie feeder designed for fish food. Sure that the fish food would work well in a regular deer feeder. Some dog food and cat food does not work well.

Activity on the new bait site... I visited my neighbor last night and got a couple of 'disassembled' critters after he skinned them. Two raccoons, a bobcat, and about a 60# beaver. The fox is back, along with more raccoons and possums. The kicker is this guy:

Showed up about 11:13 according to the time stamp on the camera, but didn't eat much, if any, and didn't stick around long. The only other pic of it is as it walks away. It's actually nosing around the deer spine and hide that's been out there since veterans day. Picked clean. None of the critters seem to be really approaching any of the carcasses, either. Seemed to be very cautious in the pics. Just a little added incentive to get the window installed in the shed.

Hey Cozwurth, that's great.

Just a tip - place some small chunks of meat around the carcass, something like 2" or less pieces and spread several around. I have noticed that some coyotes prefer that over the carcass, and definitely fox prefer them. Fox seem to be scared of a carcass, but if you have small pieces out, they will go round and round trying to find them. A coyote will put his nose in the grass, searching here and there for small tid-bits of meat, keeping him focused and in the area longer. Bobcats however, seem to like a carcass.

I shot these two coons off of my bait from my home this morning. I shot 1 last week that weighed 27 lbs I think the one on the left is heavier then that.

Back