6.5 creedmoor bullet suggestion for coyotes

swwyocoyote

hi all,
Just picked up a savage model 10 predator in 6.5 creedmoor. Thinking it will be good for distance work on coyotes and hopefully some wolf action
thumbup1.gif
. Was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a bullet and/or suggestions on loads.
thank you in advance,
Ty

If you shoot a coyote with anything out of that 6.5 Creedmoor it will probably be drt. I wouldn't expect it to be very fur friendly either. It would make a great deer or speed goat rifle.

Thanks AubreyD, Hopefully it wont be to horrible on the fur at distance, Thinking using it mostly for 200yds+ when windy and the hang up dogs during the calling contests. had strong thoughts in the back of my mind for desert deer next fall
thumbup1.gif
haven't been lucky enough to get a speed goat tag for couple years.

I have tried the 100gr and 120gr Nosler Ballistic tips out of my Grendel. I loaded up some in my 6.5x55 but haven't been able to get out and test them yet. I also just picked up some of the 85gr Sierra Varminter. I have tried the 95gr Vmax out of the Grendel. They also work pretty well accuracy wise. I think with the lower velocity the Grendel produces it will be hard to judge bullet performance.

I shot mostly the 123gr AMax from my Creedmore and did shoot a few deer with that bullet all inside 200 yards and it hammered them all.
I have a bunch of 120gr AMax to try when the new Creedmore shows up.

If you want fur friendly-er, probably a non-plastic tipped, big game bullet will do the least damage while giving two smaller holes - one in, and one out. Maybe like a 140 Corelokt, or some such.

Have the same rifle in .260rem and am currently running 123gr AMAX. I can tell you they are more fur friendly the farther out you hit the yotes and more fur friendly than the nosler 120gr BT. I am still trying to work up the 140gr AMAX and 142gr SMK. The 142gr SMK is very fur friendly out of the .260rem in my other rifle.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try to order some SMK'S and some berger's today. Thinking I will try 120gr and heavier for now. See what the rifle likes
Thanks again for everyone's help

Finally drew blood with the 6.5cm this morning, Shot a good sized male right about 190 yrds with the hornady 120gr A-max. Had a good quartering away angle and surprisingly it was a clean pass threw, only hit one lung and no bone. Didn't seem like the bullet expanded at all, guess will have to aim for a little bone until I can get the sierra smk's dialed in.

Thanks for the info on the 6.5 CM. I have one ordered and am also gathering ammo/reloading components. I am going to try 120amax, 140amax, 129 sst, and I also ordered a box of 123 sst bullets. After ordering, I realized they are made for the Grendel. I emailed hornady to get advice on the 123sst at creedmoor velocities. If I hear back, I will post.

What have you found to group the best so far? I just got the same gun and am looking for an accurate bullet. The 120's seem pretty good, but I haven't shot anything else through it yet.

Back