Baiting and CWD

nocternal

If we are not allowed to bait,why is ok for people to feed deer in there back yard? This a severe problem here in Pa.

Last edited:
Sounds like the law we have here in Va. Here you can feed the deer except the period from Sept.1 to the end of deer season.

Originally Posted By: devildoggRecreational deer feeding will not cause cwd only when you hunt over it that is when they will catch cwd.

???? All feeding, recreational or as bait, concentrates deer in one spot. This increases the chances for exchange of saliva and other body fluids and, in some cases, viruses, diseases, etc. Same thing happens under apple trees every year.

The most likely reason why you cannot bait in Pennsylvania is because it is considered unethical by the majority of sportsmen/sportsmens groups in the state (Although there are areas in the southeast where I think baiting is legal). I guess I'd ask why can't you hunt deer on Sundays there either? Or how about your primitive flintlock season? I think most of the northeast states do not allow baiting.

"Feeding" deer is much more accepted by the general public because it increases their sightings of deer and/or they feel they are helping the deer survive through the winter. Probably many more people feeding deer and probably a bigger problem when it comes to spreading diseases, but it's likely too popular to outlaw it.

Originally Posted By: erict I guess I'd ask why can't you hunt deer on Sundays there either?

I would have never guessed such a law existed... And in more than one state, learn sumthin' new every day...

Erict I know how cwd is spread it's stupid how a state can out law it and say that they are doing it because it will spread disease but then let another group feed them so they can watch Bambi. It all boils down to ethics that is why they out law baiting in some states and pass it off as they are trying to stop the spread of disease. If they are going to do that then they better tell the deer no more rutting no more yarding up in the winter no more drinking from the same stock tanks no more using scrapes and no more eating from that apple tree.

Back