two woodchucks this past weekend

both with the 243 h&r and 75g v-max. one at 246yds and the other at 215. also took one this morning before work but it was at less than 100yds and therefore does not count. they are pretty boring this early in the season as they are half asleep and not very wary. im trying to wait till the end of may but it's just so hard to refrain. are there any meetings i can attend. hi, i'm hunter and i'm a redmistaholic!!!! lmao /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How do you figgure it don't count? It's not your fault it was under 100 yards.
btw: what area of the state are you in?

Last edited:
denurve, i'm in western ny, by canandaigua(sp) lake. i like to shoot em as far out as possible unless i'm using the 22lr. got another today at abt 200 with the 300 wm and 130g hp speer. oh, you should have seen the mist and chunks fly!!!!! i love spring!!

Two chucks yesterday - FINALLY but now we have snow again. UGHHHH!!!!!! I hunt the southern tire around Arcade, NY. Looks like it will be another week for the next chuck hunt unless the Chautauqua Lakes melts off and the crappie turn on.

i've got two woodchucks swimming around in the wetlands behind my house. every year i plant brassicas for the deer and them stupid things devour it before the deer even get to it, so i want them bad. every time i go into the house to get my "weapon" they disappear. anyone know of a call that sounds like grass or turnips? i didn't even know they swam until a few weeks ago!

Smithers,

Try a squirrel call, the kind with the sqeeze bellows on the end, hit that a couple of times and see if their curiosity will help pop their heads out. Dave from The Varmint Safari videos uses one to get rock chucks to sit up.
Actually anything that makes a squeal, or chirping sound may work.

Scott12

Back