over stabilized bullets

Everyone will make his own decision as to what he believes about overstabilizing a projectile, but I've turned up too much evidence that it is indeed a real phenomenon for me to doubt it. On the other hand, in my own endeavors I don't think this will ever be something I need to worry about. Maybe some of you guys who shoot extreme ranges will have issues with it though.

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

check this link

lol.gif

i don't even know where to begin to respond to that...

good day to you all.. i think i'm done with this pissing contest.

Originally Posted By: RiverRiderEveryone will make his own decision as to what he believes about overstabilizing a projectile, but I've turned up too much evidence that it is indeed a real phenomenon for me to doubt it. On the other hand, in my own endeavors I don't think this will ever be something I need to worry about. Maybe some of you guys who shoot extreme ranges will have issues with it though.

Good points
Most people who shoot extreme range use a long heavy bullet, so they don't have any experience in over stabilizing a bullet. shooting varmint bullets at 600 yards fired from a 14 twist 220 swift is not going to prove anything either, too slow a twist.
The combination of light short bullets, fast twist (8-10) and high speed. (over 3550 fps -closer to 4000 fps the 3000 fps). will show the problem.

Catshooter will still believe bullets never nose down from long range. He's never watched a slow mo video of a projectile shooting from a battleship 16 inch gun, they launch at 2700 fps, 2200 lbs and place shots into less than 100x100 yards at 20 MILES.
at 20 miles shots are coming down at or greater/steeper than 45 deg angle. a bullets nose follows the arc of the path. a Neanderthal brain can figure that out. Although some people can't grasp reality. There was a time when the world was flat and if you told most people it was round, they could not calculate facts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6724see, i knew popcorn and beer would be appropriate!

No Doubt! As I was reading through this my thought was that the second post in this thread was right on target. I don't claim to know anything about the topic but its clear this thing derailed.

You know, instead of bickering on the internet you all should plan a get together. The gentleman with the 375 "whatever it's called" shoots it at 400 yards for say 3 groups. Group size is averaged. Somebody from catshooter's camp then shoots the same rifle and ammo at 100 yards. They should obviously be able to shoot 100 yard groups roughly a fourth of the 400 yard groups. Seems simple enough to me and I would love to see the outcome.

Originally Posted By: M JagerYou know, instead of bickering on the internet you all should plan a get together. The gentleman with the 375 "whatever it's called" shoots it at 400 yards for say 3 groups. Group size is averaged. Somebody from catshooter's camp then shoots the same rifle and ammo at 100 yards. They should obviously be able to shoot 100 yard groups roughly a fourth of the 400 yard groups. Seems simple enough to me and I would love to see the outcome.

He said, "Any time, any place" - I invited him....

Last edited:
It would take a large sum of money to get me to go to Connecticut. Certainly more than silencing some deniers on the internet. I rarely head east of South Dakota, and for good reason.

Anyone whom has EVER spent time with solids in a 375CT knows what I've said is true. Those that haven't... well they are easily identified.

Originally Posted By: orkanIt would take a large sum of money to get me to go to Connecticut. Certainly more than silencing some deniers on the internet. I rarely head east of South Dakota, and for good reason.

Anyone whom has EVER spent time with solids in a 375CT knows what I've said is true. Those that haven't... well they are easily identified.

Tough crowd. If I'd have known people would be hanging on every word, I'd have structured that post differently. It was simply meant to say that it will do it on command. Every time. Everywhere. Apparently that subtlety was lost while the personal attacks were flying around from cat guy. Did any of you really think that I'd travel half way across the country to buy the silence of an opposing party? Especially someone behaving so outwardly rude as catshooter is? I think not.

Needless to say, the facts still remain. Every single person shooting a 375CT with solids, has seen exactly what I've reported.

I realize now that I should not have even posted in this thread. I'm not 100% certain that over-stabilization (if such a thing exists) is the root cause of the poor groupings of the 375CT at 100yds while having outstanding groups at distance. It could be a strictly bullet length issue, or something else. However, not knowing the cause has absolutely nothing to do with the facts of the matter. You don't have to know the name of the illness to identify the symptoms. So you people can continue with the belittling all you like, it will not change the facts one bit.

I'm quite shocked that this kind of degraded conversation is even allowed to carry on here. Especially considering the absolutely factual nature of what I've said. It's not opinion folks. It happens with virtually every single 375CT in existence when shooting solids. I would have thought the discussion would be focused around the principles at play, and maybe help people understand why it happens.

Instead, it's clear everything is taken quite personally, with insults being slung around in a successful attempt to stifle conversation, to the absolute detriment of anyone reading this thread. I've been guilty of it many times in the past, I've learned plenty from the mistake of stifling conversation. I would expect men in their 40's - 60's to have learned that lesson long ago.

Very disappointing.

orkan and catshooter,

I don't expect orkan to travel across the country to prove a point. Surely Catshooter you know someone that you know and trust as a shooter that lives in the general region of Orkan.

I'd be more than willing to head west of here a fair distance, as long as wherever I ended up for the "proof" shooting also had some coyotes to shoot!

Not to silence catshooter. Not to prove a point. Not to vindicate myself. ... but to bring closure to an issue which can help my fellow shooters, should they ever venture into 375CT territory. I'd be traveling for the coyote hunting, with an hour devoted to "other" shooting so whomever is witnessing can report back here.
smile.gif
(after we're done coyote hunting)

Back