Coyote Hunting in the Southern Zone of N.Y.

tom223

Coyote season opened October 1 and so did Archery for deer and bear. According to the game law book you are only allowed to hunt coyote's with a 22 rimfire if any deer season is opened. Is that correct? Thanks Tom

Last edited:
No. Maybe you are looking at last year's book? Here is the current from DEC webpage on furbearer hunting:

•You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

I guess I'm just lucky to be here in KY where we have rules and regs that aren't as tough as what your dealing with in NY.

P.S. On my last trip up North I went upstate NY and it was beautiful especially around the Hudson.

Originally Posted By: tom223Coyote season opened October 1 and so did Archery for deer and bear. According to the game law book you are only allowed to hunt coyote's with a 22 rimfire if any deer season is opened. Is that correct? Thanks Tom

Only in places where rifles are not allowed for deer.

There are lots of places in the southern zone that allow rifles. In those areas you're fine.

I wish the regs were written to understand instead of twisting things around. Regs tell ya one thing and the website will say different.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LI wish the regs were written to understand instead of twisting things around. Regs tell ya one thing and the website will say different.

What do you think is different?

I thought you could use any rifle during permitted deer hunting times, but only a .22 at night.

Anyone from the Albany area willing to teach someone and their son how to hunt coyote ?

Many coyotes are taken by deer hunters (which is good) but the way the regs read that would be illeagal. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

they don't want you to have any excuse to have a rifle afield during deer season, they want to catch deer jackers and not let them have any reason to legally have a rifle at night.I am in Albany county so the rifles stay on the rack and the shotgun goes out until deer season finally closes.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LMany coyotes are taken by deer hunters (which is good) but the way the regs read that would be illeagal. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Nope...it would only be illegal if they were using a rifle bigger than .22 in a shotgun only zone.

But then once deer season is over, you can use a rifle throughout the southern zone (except in Westchester, Long Island, Buffalo, etc...where rifles are prohibited anyway).

Back