22-250 for deer

Originally Posted By: coleridge
RustHunter said:
Smokin250 said:
To "drop" a deer on the spot & it not flinch kick, spin yatayata you need to shock the CNS (central nevous system). It really doesn't kill the deer (per say) but in turn paralizes the animal from moving & it dies from the other injurys just as it would quickly if it's feet were under it.

I shot a nice ten pointer in the exact same place you are talking about this past rifle season. Run the crease up between the boiler and shoulder and then forward an inch or two. The first thing to hit the ground was his @ss followed by the rest of his body. There was no twitching or kicking. I believe he was dead before he hit the ground. If you really want to anchor a deer, normally a good buck, shoot them there. If I'm shooting a doe for meat, shoot them behind the front shoulder through the organs.

Smokin, I agree. I've always been impressed with a whitetail's desire to live.

I have seen deer do some absolutely wild things, things that im sure people wouldn't belive. And im sure you guys have seen some as well.

I got to thinking, only thing i have ever seen DRT a deer was my glock 40. speer gold dot in ear, wounded doe. God's honest truth, My buddy shot one with a 44 during gun season and him and my brother couldn't find it. I went up and tracked it for him and found it...alive of course. Long story short, she wasn't happy and tried to get out of situation she was in by running me over. I stopped that. She hit the ground faster then any deer i have ever seen. Over the years i have seen alot of head shots on deer to finish them by people, and never in my life have i ever seen one go down with out even a twitch, like this one did. Again, the glock wouldn't have been my first choice due to certain regulations...but i refuse to watch a deer suffer, regardless of situation or time.

Last edited:
My first deer was shot with a .22-250 and I've shot several since. Over time though i have decided it just isn't enough gun for a mature whitetail or mulie. I've made heart shots resulting in DRT on smaller does but a mulie buck ran 100 yards with absolutely no blood trail. The most recent time i had a deer get away. I can't swear to shot placement because i didn't retrieve but it was a 75 yard standing shot with a good rest so it should have been a heart shot. I think its ok in areas with smaller deer but for larger bodied deer i would up size.

Give me a month and i might change my mind. It is sooo hard to put my favorite gun away and use my .30-06. Also i got married and don't have enough guns for the wife and stepson so it might be a downsize for me so they aren't as underpowered.

So far I have killed exactly two deer with a 250 and 52 gr SMK. Both does, both broadside shots in the vitals. One was 125 yds, one 225 yds. Shooting H380 at about 3650 fps. Both went no more than 10 yds and died cleanly. Both had 224 diameter entrance and a quarter sized exit pass through with no apparent bullet failure i.e jacket separation. Normally i shoot a 25-06 for deer, but have been using the 250 for my doe tags and will probably take my next antelope with the 250. Might switch to the 55gr SBT game king though. Though this thread could use a bit more actual field experience examples to get back to the OP.

Originally Posted By: K_V_V with no apparent bullet failure i.e jacket separation.

So if the projectile sheds it's copper jacket; it's a bullet failure????

Wow ! I forgot about this thread.

Read quickly through it and LMAO !

If some only had field exp .
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: K_V_V with no apparent bullet failure i.e jacket separation.

So if the projectile sheds it's copper jacket; it's a bullet failure????

I suppose it depends on the bullet type and the intened application of that bullet. Take for instance a varmint bullet. A complete jacket separation and/or violent detonation of the entire bullet itself would be considered stellar performance. For a hunting bullet a jacket separation is not desirable in an attempt to preserve the bullets weight while at the same time achieving good expansion. This is pretty much the whole idea behind bonded bullets for hunting. A match bullet is somewhere in the middle. Thats probably why they dont recommend them for hunting. The bullet in question here from the OP is a Sierra 52gr match HP. I have shot this bullet for prairie dogs, coyotes, and deer, and can honestly say I have achieved slightly different results on all three. Huge splatter effect in PD's (think vmax), good terminal effect with manageable exit on coyote, and pass through with perfect expansion on deer. I've also seen core jacket separation with game kings out of my 25-06 so take it for what it is. Those are a great bullet and the deer died just the same. So is that a failure? I think there's less margin for error with the 22-250, and a different bullet may deliver more consistent results.

Just about every cup-n-core type bullet will seperate.

The newer bonded style that expand like a c-n-c but stay in tact are nice ,esp for the faster cals.

True, but many cup and core bullet designs are constructed in attempt to stop or limit this. Take the good old hornady interlock for example.

This topic is getting a bit sidetracked. Sorry for that. I guess we could debate bullets on another thread under reloading. Suffice to say that if guys are going to use a 250 on deer on a regular basis, I am of the opinion that it should be done so using a tougher bullet than the Sierra 52 gr MHP. Nosler partition would excell in this application. With that I do believe this round to be very capable for deer and antelope.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeSidetracked yea. This thread was posted in 2011 and the OP hasn't been here since!

Have to thank new member *Deddo* *Darryl* for bringing it back to the top.

Loc: TX, USA

And Mr. Deddo ain't been here since either. lol

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWow ! I forgot about this thread.

Read quickly through it and LMAO !

If some only had field exp .
lol.gif

I couldn't agree more with you, Tim. Some people just have no clue...
whistle.gif

I have killed deer with the 220swift 22-250 and the 223 with all kinds of bullets from Sierra match kings to NBt's and my favorite was the 55gr NBT. Never had a problem killing a deer with this bullet,

didn't even read this whole topic. I can garuntee if you whack it with a tsx in the vitals it will go down. 62 gr tsx through the lungs will hammer wild boar. No reasont this bullet or the 70 gr version would not do the same since 22-250 with launch it evne faster at a deer.

I stress there is no room for error. If the shot is not perfect you might have a runner. I whacked a hog last week too far back with the 62 gr from a .223 because it was on the run. It was only 10 feet away when hit. It limped onto another property and none of us could hit it way out there at 600 plus. A total shame. Do not take the marginal shots.

Back